your top 3 non-Celtic tunes you play on whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dspmusik
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

your top 3 non-Celtic tunes you play on whistle

Post by dspmusik »

of course whistle is a great folk instrument, but what else do you like to play on it? here's the first 3 that came to my mind when i'm not playing 'trad'

1. Brahm's Waltz #39
2. Lost Woods from Zelda
3. Norwegian Wood by the Beatles

what are your top 3?
"By this we know we have passed from death to life: that we love our brothers."
Katharine
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Re: your top 3 non-Celtic tunes you play on whistle

Post by Katharine »

1. Stairway to Heaven (or, I will once I get around to recording it into the intro of my cover)
2. On The Turning Away (Pink Floyd. I plan on covering this too at some point, and thought of using whistle during the bridge just because part of the tune reminds me of part of one version of Barbara Allen that I've heard)
3. Last of the Mohicans theme / The Gael (this is like "pseudo-Celtic," I suppose). I play it with whistle and fiddle... obviously not at the same time. :)
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
stanton135
Tell us something.: Hi Nano. I was somewhat active on the Chiffboards maybe 5 or 6 years ago, participating in several whistle tours (Bracker, Hardy, Ellis). I took a break from the Chiffboards, and music mostly, for several years because I got a full-time job and had a baby. I'm easing back into the music, though (which is great, I missed it). It's good to be back!

Post by stanton135 »

1. Assorted Zelda themes--off the top of my head, the opening cinematic theme from Wind Waker (that goes | Ae/e/e2- ee/c/dB | A6 etc. ) I find that the ocarina tunes, in their original keys, tend to fit best on a low G whistle. My homemade low D flute with the extra hole for F natural works well, too.

2. Assorted Jethro Tull flute parts--off the top of my head, Bourrée. That one also benefits from a dedicated Fnat hole, but I half-hole it on the MK sometimes.

3. Whatever else I've heard recently, or have running through my head. Earlier this evening I was noodling and letting my mind wander, and when I checked in I found I was playing the Indiana Jones theme. Last week it was the theme from Deep Space Nine.

One thing I love about whistle is that it can be very spontaneous and improvisatory. I pick a whistle off my desk and blow, then set it down. No opening a case, no assembly, no tuning strings, no strapping it on, no fiddling with reeds. With a baby in the house I've found that to be important!
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

More often than not when I pick up my MK Low D and noodle on it I'll play a Bulgarian tune, either a certain Pravo, or Buchimish (one of my favourite tunes of all time, in 15/8).

I'll also often play an old jazz song such as St James Infirmary or Summertime.

Yes I'll often play Jethro Tull's Bourree too, but in E minor.

Things in the works are the Bulgarian uber-dance Sandansko Horo (in 22/8) and old jazz songs such as Take Five, Lazy River, and Do You Know What It Means To Miss New Orleans.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
stanton135
Tell us something.: Hi Nano. I was somewhat active on the Chiffboards maybe 5 or 6 years ago, participating in several whistle tours (Bracker, Hardy, Ellis). I took a break from the Chiffboards, and music mostly, for several years because I got a full-time job and had a baby. I'm easing back into the music, though (which is great, I missed it). It's good to be back!

Post by stanton135 »

15/8 and 22/8, huh? I like a challenge. Can you give a link to a video/recording?
dspmusik

Post by dspmusik »

i'd love to hear a version of 'take 5' on whistle! Paul Desmond does a great job on the alto sax, but i've always enjoyed jazz flute, or in this case whistle.
"By this we know we have passed from death to life: that we love our brothers."
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

No particular non-celtic tunes played (still a newbier) but the patriotic themes and holiday themes have been nice to explore.
Grannymouse
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Grannymouse »

After my husband passed away I started playing Titanic's, My Heart Will Go On' I also enjoy playing The Rose and Vincent.

Hello to all my old buddies, those living and those on the other side. GM
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
Desiderata
German Whistler

Post by German Whistler »

so non celtic or else then folk? your question isnt clear
anyway, here is my answere; 2 many 2 list
i didnt learn to play the penny whistle just for trad, or folk, or celtic music
i play all i like and can on all instruments i can
first tunes i learned on penny whistle, scarborough fair and oh susanna, both not celtic, but trad (not irish)? or folk?
Andreas Fischer the "German Whistler"
PLay Whistles since May 2012

* My Whistles and other Instruments
* My WeBlog
Recommendation:
* My (Your) Music Community
A monthly Learn and Compare Challenge and more!
Everybody is welcome and U 2
;-)
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I play a very non-Janis Joplin version of Mercedez-Benz. I like to preface the song by saying, "This song is a prayer."
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
ecohawk

Post by ecohawk »

Meditation from Thais
Simple Gifts (great whistle tune)
Ashokan Farewell (wonderful on a D+)
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

stanton135 wrote:15/8 and 22/8, huh? I like a challenge. Can you give a link to a video/recording?
Here's the best version, in my opinion, of Sandansko Horo, on Kaval, in 22/8 (or 22/16, you see it written either way, doesn't matter), I have this version on my Ipod and I listen to it all the time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTviFjZ6FWw

Now let's not forget that it's a dance, and you're supposed to dance to it! Here's a great video showing a full Bitov ensemble (gaida, kaval, etc) but keep watching until they show the roomful of people dancing... many people not familiar with Bulgarian dance can't find the beat in these tunes, but all these dancers have no trouble at all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hty4V5icXPY

Then there's Buchimish, in 15/8 (or 15/16)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkMKbfKJCtE
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

dspmusik wrote:i'd love to hear a version of 'take 5' on whistle! Paul Desmond does a great job on the alto sax
This is my favourite version, with clarinet... the guy's a monster on that thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiXk6HLjitw
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

I just love the opening aria from Bach's Goldberg Variations. It's in a nice whistle friendly key, apart from a couple of Fnat that need to be half holed. It sounds terrific on any whistle. The sheet music is available as a free PDF here:
http://www.free-scores.com/download-she ... p?pdf=6066
Ignore the bottom staff unless you can find a friend who is willing to try it on a low whistle. If you're not familiar with those baroque ornaments, find a YouTube video to help clear it up. If you're not familiar with the Goldbergs, by all means listen to the whole work.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Flavius

Post by Flavius »

1) Danse de l'ours, which we actually use to dance to as a chapelloise
2) Erev shel shoshanim, a lovely little tune that we learned from a visiting musician
3) Tourdion. Other Late Middle Ages and Renaissance tunes,too, but this is easily becoming a staple.