It is currently Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 4:00 pm 

This Copeland D whistle is the one I purchased from Tantus (C&F user ID) a couple weeks ago, for $200. Nickel/Silver #2278 w/tuning slide, black delrin fipple. Conical. Mint condition. Pictures availible. $200 (way less than new)

It's the best sounding whistle I've played, in tune, and very clear. The reason I'm selling it is because I find myself unable to breathe at the same spots I've always taken a breath during reels, and this messes me up playing with my band. Picky, picky I know. It's also very loud...that can be good I suppose.

Contact me off C&F (email in tray below) or in private message.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 5:06 pm 

I've run into the same problem with the Copeland D I got from Jim in early December. My solution has been to play it my every spare hour, and now I can use it fairly well on about half my repertoire.

I love my Burkes, but played side-by-side, everyone in the band (myself included) agrees the Copeland has a much richer sound, so I'm just gonna work through the needing-more-breath issue. (I kinda expected it anyway, considering my old Copeland low D had the same issue).

That said, I hope your whistle sells quick..copelands are definitely worth the bucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 6:13 pm 

Bump...

...and I'm not quite sure what you guys mean by not being able to breathe.... I've only played a high copeland once but I have a low D and while it does take a fairly large amount of air.... *shrug* well, suffice it to say it's late, I've had a weird, long day, and I don't understand what you guys mean. Assistance?

:smile:

--Beth

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 7:08 pm 

Quote:
On 2003-01-30 19:13, avanutria wrote:
it does take a fairly large amount of air

Well, this is what <b>I</b> meant. :smile: And since it takes more air than my other whistles, I'm not used to breathing in the same spots that I normally am. And this can sometimes throw me when performing with the band. I'm getting used to the new breath requirements, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 8:03 pm 

Geeze, I think I never breath on the same spot when I play a tune. Maybe you guys need to practice breathing at different places and not depend on a "perfect" spot to breath, would make the playin' much less predictable...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 8:23 pm 

Quote:
On 2003-01-30 21:03, Azalin wrote:
Geeze, I think I never breath on the same spot when I play a tune. Maybe you guys need to practice breathing at different places and not depend on a "perfect" spot to breath, would make the playin' much less predictable...

Well, az, I don't think I said "perfect". I think I said "used to."

How bout this? You practice playing like you, and I'll worry about playing like me..sounds reasonable to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 8:46 pm 

Do what works and have fun, BUT...

both the whistle teachers I've had stressed the importance of NOT practicing breathing at the same spot every time in tunes...work on getting an intuitive feeling for the correct spots where a breath would enhance the tune rather than draw away from it...make your breaths ornaments and varry them each time through.

This is something I'm totally still working on, I by no means have come even close to masting breathing and taking breaths while playing, but I think it's the right direction to aim for.

my $.02 :smile:

-Brett

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:03 pm 

Eh Wandering, just noticed that my previous post does look like criticism, this wasnt my purpose, sorry bout that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:26 pm 

azalin, such a nice person. I cringed at the reply to your first post. Ouch. Nice way to defuse situation.
Unfortunately now I can't help myself:

How do you get 30 Canadians out of a swimming pool?

"Excuse me guys, could you get out of the pool?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:56 am 

I know I'm being picky, and I can take breaths any and everywhere, and in the right spots so you can't tell, but I'm guessing that some of us expect the tune to sound a little smoother. Some fast reels just don't lend themselves to breathing and keeping the phrase going at the same time. You have to complete the phrase uninterupted to make it sound good.

The Floweres of Red Hill is an example, if it's played right. Other tunes, like The Dublin Reel, seem to have natural places to breath and still keep the tune sounding smooth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:26 am 

Lorenzo, check your private messages, or should that be email?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 2:20 am 

While you guys discuss breath problems, the wombat swoops. Well wombats don't exactly swoop, or pounce for that matter. (We leave those activites to 'hawks and 'wolves.) Let's just say that we burrow away unnoticed.