Burke Composite Alternative

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Musicboi85
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Classical flutist getting into the world of irish whistle and flute. love the forum and also the used instrument exchange.

Burke Composite Alternative

Post by Musicboi85 »

Hello C&F Hive-mind!

I have a Burke Composite D Session I adore the sound of the way it plays. It blows my Burke Aluminum Narrow Bore out of the water and I was already in love with the tuning and control of that whistle. But there is something more complex in the composite’s tone while retaining the burke tuning and ease of playing.

I’m wondering if anyone has suggestions for other whistle that might have a similar sound…since the composite whistles are no longer made. Hit me up with your ideas/suggestions!

Thank you!
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Re: Burke Composite Alternative

Post by Byll »

Nothing sounds quite like a Burke composite. The closest I have ever heard is a model made of Dymondwood - a composite, by Paul Busman. Every now and then, you will see one for sale...

I was a musical arts teacher in my earlier life. I taught students from Middle School through university levels, during my career. My favorites were always Middle School students. To survive there, one must enjoy the groaning of hormones. I often had a few whistles at school, to play during my lunch time. When kids would see my beautiful striated Busman green Dymondwood D, I would tell them it was made from dragon-bone. I had a very realistic 'dragon' skull in the room, to further the legend. Ah, memories.

Somewhere in what is left of my mind, I kind of remember Paul telling me that the Dymondwood composite became unavailable, and he ceased production of said whistles. I play Sindt high whistles on stage, but always carry my dragon-bone whistle with me in my small whistle case. There is something very special in the composite's tone...
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Re: Burke Composite Alternative

Post by Byll »

There is now a Milligan Dymondwood High D whistle available at the Irish flute store...
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979