The Mary Bergin Whistle Tutor

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mikethebook
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Re: The Mary Bergin Whistle Tutor

Post by Mikethebook »

Haven't found anywhere to buy it yet. More waiting. So frustrating! Didn't you say you saw them in a shop window, Mr Gumby? What shop was that?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Didn't you say you saw them in a shop window, Mr Gumby?
I didn't. I looked at them during the pre-launch discount sale and later in the NPU shop that's in the hall in Miltown Malbay for the week.
My brain hurts

Jleo Fipple

Post by Jleo Fipple »

I've had no reply from Mary Bergin's information email address. I'm hoping for news on an Internet based e-tailer that'll be stocking the 3 volumes.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

I'm confident that the tutorial will become available after the various launches.

The wait has been this long so far... what's a few more... (d/w/m/yr) :)

Now that's an item I'd like to see offered from the Cafépress
Blaydo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Blaydo »

Both Volumes will be available to purchase from her website from Friday 18th July. No word of when Vol.3 will be released yet.
Randalf the Red

Post by Randalf the Red »

Here's what Mary Bergin responded when I asked about purchasing the tutorials:

"Dear Friends,

I am delighted to announce that Volumes 1 and 2 of my (3 Volume) Tutorial were launched at The Willie Clancy School of Music in Miltown Malbay, Co. Clare in Ireland on Sunday 7th July.

I will also be launching the Tutorial on the east coast of the U.S.A. in East Durham at the Catskills Irish Arts Week 15th - 20th July and later, on the west coast in Whidbey Island, Seattle, at Cascadia Irish Music Week 11th - 16th August.

My website www.maryberginwhistle.com is currently being updated. Both Volumes will be available to purchase from the website from Friday 18th July.

About the Tutorial:

Volume 1 comprises a Lesson Book accompanied by 2 CDs. In this Volume, through step-by-step sequential lessons, I introduce you to essential fundamental techniques that form the basis of controlled, precise and defined whistle playing. These techniques, which include breath control, articulation and ornamentation, are explained, demonstrated and incorporated into specially selected tunes of various tempos. Attention is also given to the development of a strong sense of rhythm.

Volume 2 is a continuation of Volume 1 and in order to assimilate the new techniques introduced, it is necessary to be knowledgeable and accomplished in all of the material contained in Volume 1. Volume 2 comprises a Lesson Book accompanied by 3 CDs. Here, I introduce you to all of the other most common dance forms. The ‘internal’ rhythm, so vital to traditional Irish music is thoroughly explored. This Volume also includes more advanced ornamentation and techniques and you will learn how to incorporate these into specific tunes included in the lessons. Equipped with an understanding of the ‘internal’ rhythm of the music and with these necessary techniques and skills you will very soon notice a transformation in the overall standard of your playing.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the process of putting this body of work together and I am very pleased that it will soon be available to you.

Wishing you all the very best,

Kindest regards,

Mary Bergin"
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Seeing is believing...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

No doubt about it. :)
CelticZoon

Post by CelticZoon »

Yes , big doubt about it :

'available to purchase from the website from Friday 18th July. '

Friday 18th does not exist, or this is .... 2014. QED.

For now, nothing on the website....

I feel like a kid at Christmas with no gift.
:sniffle:

Cheers T.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Irish time...
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Check the website out. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Love2whistle

Post by Love2whistle »

Click image to go to on-line store Table of contents is only the first page for each Vol, a complete listing in pdf format is available to download on buy page.
ImageImage
Dom, DaDom, Dom, Dom
Newbie whistler from July 2012
1. Ceol Pro V2 Low D
2. Feadog Pro D
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

Would you mind posting the remainder of the contents pages for the first book . . . or are there a lot?
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Mikethebook wrote:Would you mind posting the remainder of the contents pages for the first book . . . or are there a lot?
Can't you read a .PDF file?

Volume 1 - Table of Contents - 3 pages
http://www.phoneware.ie/marybergin/Tabl ... olumeI.pdf

Volume 2 - Table of Contents - 4 pages
http://www.phoneware.ie/marybergin/Tabl ... lumeII.pdf
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Sorry. Didn't notice the PDFs.
Flavius

Post by Flavius »

From the table of contents, it seems very well organized, and addressing beginners needs in a progressive, orderly fashion. Looks very good. I'm surprised at the inclusion of tonguing so early in the works, I was under the impression that tonguing was an articulation prone to misuse/overuse by beginners and thus was considered not suitable for the earlier stages of learning, anyone care to elaborate on that?

Also, not that one can easily put a price tag on knowledge, and I don't in any way mean to imply that a book's worth bears any relationship to the number of pages within (I would like to repeat both assertions a few times, lest my following comment be misconstrued)... but taking in consideration their length, within the context of books in general and music tutors in particular, it would seem both books are rather pricey. I wonder if this may simply be the consequence of a very small printing operation (where the cost per item is rather high) or are there any other factors involved (costs of recording the audio CDs, for instance, or storage and distribution, or something else)?