The Mary Bergin Whistle Tutor

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
German Whistler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: The Mary Bergin Whistle Tutor

Post by German Whistler »

i bet she would sell 4 times amount of books, if it would be for half price
50€ ? - to much for me!
Andreas Fischer the "German Whistler"
PLay Whistles since May 2012

* My Whistles and other Instruments
* My WeBlog
Recommendation:
* My (Your) Music Community
A monthly Learn and Compare Challenge and more!
Everybody is welcome and U 2
;-)
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Well, it's less than a piano, a cello or most whistles.

The price of each volume probably less than the average price of a day's works shop or it will buy you two or three hours private tuition. Given the breath of the material and the level of detail the tutor goes into there's probably a lot more mileage to be had than either a workshop or the two/three private lesson as you can work at it and absorb the material in your own time.

It's quite the dilemma, you can spend the money on more whistles but in return you'll miss out on insights gleaned from a life of playing and teaching. At the end of it, it's all about how much and how well you want to play. And how much you value the author's insights and experience.
My brain hurts

Flavius

Post by Flavius »

Mr.Gumby wrote: And how much you value the author's insights and experience.
My post didn't mean to go there, at all. I understand the author's skill and relevance, both as a performer and as a teacher, are beyond arguing.
Mr.Gumby wrote: Given the breath of the material and the level of detail the tutor goes into (...)
Again, I dont think the value of the book is being questioned. If these things could be measured, I'm sure the book would rate high in "knowledge per page", or whatever assessment of value could be imagined. But, having been somewhat acquainted with the publishing industry, I for one wonder if the exact same knowledge per page couldn't have been printed at a lower cost per page?

Of course, unless someone in the forum has specific information on the production of this specific book (or, at least, on the state of the relevant publishing industry) this is rhetorical wondering and can be dismissed as thread drift
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

, I dont think the value of the book is being questioned
Just the price people are willing to pay...

Seriously though, I see the point. As I said before the book is bound in a metal ring binder, pages are heavy laminated/plasticky (so you can wipe them clean after your whistle drips on them) and the volumes have three and five CDs respectively. It doesn't look it has been produced on the cheap. That's my observation anyway. And I say that as probably the only person here who has actually handled a physical copy of the book. But it's not my case to make really. As it stands though, it's the most thorough and detailed guide to playing Irish music on the whistle available. Priceless, I would think.
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

My thought is that, with a bit of care, the "books" should stay in good condition, and, once I've worked my way through the first volume (quite quickly I hope since I've been playing for two years) I will sell it and move on to the next book. So the actual cost may work out to be only be half the quoted price, a very reasonable cost for probably the best whistle tutor on the market, and in-depth teaching from the likes of Mary Bergin.
ggiles

Post by ggiles »

Well, I'm excited about this. Thanks Mr. Gumby for the description on the books.
Ya ... it's pricey but it sounds like quality material ... better start saving now.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

I'm waiting to read a thorough and complete review of the tutorial. :poke:

And soon I hope! Seeing is believing! No doubt about it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Years and years of whistle experience all rolled up into a nicely published tutorial. Its content, content, content :) Or maybe its location, location, location.
House party last night 7/22/2013. Yeah, I took the photo. :)

John Brennan (guitar), Mary Bergin (pennywhistle), and Mary's longtime NY friend on Bodhran. I apologize for not catching her name. :oops:
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

ytliek wrote:I'm waiting to read a thorough and complete review of the tutorial. :poke:

And soon I hope! Seeing is believing! No doubt about it! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Years and years of whistle experience all rolled up into a nicely published tutorial. Its content, content, content :) Or maybe its location, location, location.
House party last night 7/22/2013. Yeah, I took the photo. :)

John Brennan (guitar), Mary Bergin (pennywhistle), and Mary's longtime NY friend on Bodhran. I apologize for not catching her name. :oops:

Hey folks,

I was fortunate enough to have been a guest at last night's house party and the concert by Mary Bergin. As a whistle player and one who is "Mad for Trad", it was nothing less than OUTSTANDING!!! To have the opportunity to watch Mary play in such a small an intimate venue was beyond my wildest whistling fantasies. Mary Bergin is a true treasure to the world of ITM and her musicianship was spectacular. The night was filled with Mary's wonderful playing of jigs, hornpipes, airs, and reels that had folks tapping their feet and bobbing their heads with Mary's flawless rhythm. Mary treated us all to some of her own compositions and her explanations of the inspirations she had found in the surroundings near her home in Galway that led to her magnificent musical creations.

With regard to the Mary Bergin Tutorial, all guests were informed that Mary had only two with her that would be available for sale during the evening. Of course, few if any of the
whistle players in the room were not chomping at the bit to leave with Mary's tutorial in their possession. Perceiving the potential for bloodshed, the host announced that a raffle for an opportunity to purchase one of the two available sets consisting of Volumes 1 and 2 of Mary Bergin's Tutorial. Names submitted would be drawn at some time during the evenings festivities.

Just as I was thinking the evening could not be any more perfect, the host had Mary draw two pieces of paper with the names of lucky recipients, myself being one of the two. Add to that, I got to sit with Mary while she personally signed my new Mary Bergin Tutorial set of Volumes 1 and 2. I will attest that Mary was warm and genuine beyond imagination throughout the evening. She just beamed as I told her that after having watched her performance last night, I could now die a happy man! Mary graciously posed for a few photos with me, a whistle player's dream fulfilled!

I will certainly always treasure Mary's performance last night, and the unexpected bonus of the most special volumes of her tutorial. So, now the pressure is on, having this most comprehensive resource at my fingertips, I have eliminated any viable excuse for not improving my playing of whistle greatly. And don't for one minute think that several of the guests in attendance failed to emphasize my duty to improve for having the good fortune to aquire Mary's wonderful tutorial masterwork.

LIFE IS GOOD! :thumbsup:

Cheers Mates,
Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

I hate raffles... :devil: Should've offered a bribe. :thumbsup:

If the tutorial review doesn't come along soon... there may be a few less invites! :poke: :lol: :lol: :lol:

People wants to know...
Blaydo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Blaydo »

Mr.Gumby wrote:and the volumes have three and five CDs respectively.
It says on her website that the two volumes have two and three CDs respectively, can anyone confirm?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I may have had a brainfart this morning, look at what I said earlier in the thread, around page 1. That was correct.

Sorry about that.
My brain hurts

Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

Upon inquiry last evening, Mary assured us that the bulk of the hard work on Volume Three of her tutorial is complete and that said Volume will be released in the not too distant future.

As for the current two available volumes, there are two CD's included with Volume 1 and three CD's with Volume 2.
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Cayden wrote:Upon inquiry last evening, Mary assured us that the bulk of the hard work on Volume Three of her tutorial is complete and that said Volume will be released in the not too distant future.

As for the current two available volumes, there are two CD's included with Volume 1 and three CD's with Volume 2.
From what Mary Bergin had expressed concerning Volume Three I doubt if most of us newbie-ish whistlers will even get thru, or perfect, Vols. 1 & 2 before Vol. 3 is released. Although there are a few individuals with tutorials already in hand and have a head start... responsibility. :)
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

I forgot to mention earlier that Mary Bergin played different keys Generation tube whistles, but, each of them had a Sindt fipple. So are they Gens, Sindts or hybrids? It doesn't matter... they all sounded lovely.
CelticZoon

Post by CelticZoon »

ah? those fipples can be acquired somewhere alone?