Narrow bore Goldies

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
stiofan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Re: Narrow bore Goldies

Post by stiofan »

Here's a pic of the ID of my narrow-bore Goldie tenor D. If I read it accurately (sorry, I'm not too familiar with using a micrometer), it's even narrower than I thought. And if I recall correctly, I think Colin might have said that's it the same tubing as the alto F, but that could have changed since this one was made in 2015.

Again, sounds like you ought to have a chat with him sometime since he may have other options available now.
–Stephen
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I can't make out that photo, neither what the micrometer says or how it's inserted in the bore.

But a reading of 12 or 13mm (which is what the gauge seems to say) would be quite impossible for a Low D!

That would be a smaller bore than a Generation C.

My Goldie alto/mezzo F is 18.16mm.

In any case the Low D being played in that video doesn't look terribly narrow- had I not been told I wouldn't have noticed.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

I asked the fellow I borrowed the micrometer from (an engineer) about how to read it, and he explained to me that the line next to the "IN" arrow is the measurement for the inside dimension. This micrometer doesn't read any smaller than millimeters, so that's as close as it gets. So, with that in mind, the ID of my whistle is just a bit over 18mm, which comes close to matching the ID of your alto F whistle. Hope that helps.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

I made another experiment with a 19mm-bore tube with 3 mm wall and made something like a quenacho but without the thumb hole (and a quenacho usually has a much larger inner diameter). That's what I started out with when I began making whistles and flutes. And sure enough, the 19mm bore quenacho-whistle--I modelled the notch after my Bolivian purpleheart-wood-quenacho--has a rather boehm-like quality, an easy 2nd octave (plays easily into the 3rd, too) and the low notes require a gentle touch (something I even notice on my real boehm flute). It also gives my embouchure a true workout.

A real quenacho has a much larger bore (haven't measured it yet but I will...)