8 hole whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dspmusik
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

8 hole whistle?

Post by dspmusik »

i've seen lots of whistles with a Cnat hole, and plenty of D+ whistles with a RH pinky hole, but what about... both? so a regular high D whistle with 7 holes on the front and one on the back. simple right?
"By this we know we have passed from death to life: that we love our brothers."
megapop
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: 8 hole whistle?

Post by megapop »

Wouldn't the thumbhole be kind of redundant then?
return null;
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Colin Goldie sells an 8 holed "Modal" whistle, which has an extra lower hole for one note lower (C, on a D whistle), and then a *right* hand thumbhole for F natural, I believe.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

What to make of this one ???
My brain hurts

Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

I'm sure I read somewhere on the internet that during the First World War the government issued extra notes for each scale as a means of confusing the enemy. No longer could enemy anthems be played on captured instruments.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
syn whistles

Post by syn whistles »

Here's another 8 hole whistle; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbELt-nvjio
Two thumb holes.
So good it has to be a SYN!
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

syn whistles wrote:Here's another 8 hole whistle; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbELt-nvjio
Two thumb holes.
I don't remember ever seeing this video before in my life, but somehow I have a comment on it. Weird.

How is the comfort on the lower F hole? It seems it would be in a bit of an awkward position, as the finger usually sits higher. It is below the R2 hole and above the R3 hole, correct? Is it exactly in the middle of the two?
bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by bogman »

Sirchronique wrote:How is the comfort on the lower F hole? It seems it would be in a bit of an awkward position, as the finger usually sits higher. It is below the R2 hole and above the R3 hole, correct? Is it exactly in the middle of the two?
I have an modal Goldie, the extra holes are a low C and an F natural. The F hole on this whistle is just slightly below the R2 hole and seems to be in the natural thumb position.
Sirchronique

Post by Sirchronique »

bogman wrote:
Sirchronique wrote:How is the comfort on the lower F hole? It seems it would be in a bit of an awkward position, as the finger usually sits higher. It is below the R2 hole and above the R3 hole, correct? Is it exactly in the middle of the two?
I have an modal Goldie, the extra holes are a low C and an F natural. The F hole on this whistle is just slightly below the R2 hole and seems to be in the natural thumb position.

You mean below the 5th hole on the whistle, right? This is natural thumb position? I have never seen anyone with their thumb there before, unless I am misunderstanding. I think that sounds to be very uncomfortable of a position.

Not saying that nobody does it, though.

I have only seen people place their thumb above that hole, not below.
bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by bogman »

Yes, the 5th hole down. It's very slightly below where my thumb is on a standard whistle but is perfectly comfortable.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Sirchronique wrote:Colin Goldie sells an 8 holed "Modal" whistle, which has an extra lower hole for one note lower (C, on a D whistle), and then a *right* hand thumbhole for F natural, I believe.
I wonder what he means by "modal"? Every ordinary whistle is modal, capable of playing in the Major mode, minor mode, Dorian mode, Lydian mode, and pretty much in any mode whatever.

Anyhow I've always thought that it would be nice if whistles were regularly made with a little-finger hole for Low C, and a thumbhole for F natural.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
dspmusik

Post by dspmusik »

megapop wrote:Wouldn't the thumbhole be kind of redundant then?
no, the bottom hole, below the regular D is a low C, the thumb hole is for an alternate of the regular Cnat you get from cross fingering or 1/2 holing C.
"By this we know we have passed from death to life: that we love our brothers."
R Small

Post by R Small »

dspmusik wrote:
no, the bottom hole, below the regular D is a low C, the thumb hole is for an alternate of the regular Cnat you get from cross fingering or 1/2 holing C.
Couldn't you overblow the low C to get middle C? Then you could cut and tap middle D.
Sirchronique

Post by Sirchronique »

R Small wrote:
dspmusik wrote:
Couldn't you overblow the low C to get middle C? Then you could cut and tap middle D.

Yes, you could. I suppose there would be a difference in tone between a c-natural overblown with the low C hole, a c natural played with it's own thumbhole, and a c natrual cross-fingered. I am not sure if having three options for playing C natural is really necessary, though . Seems like overkill. The only purpose I see in a c-natural thumbhole is to get a clear sounding c-natural during certain occasions where you want that note to come out clear like the other notes. Anything else you can already do through other means.

3 ways of playing one note within the same octave seems a bit extreme, though, unless c-natural is your favourite note.
syn whistles

Post by syn whistles »

Sirchronique wrote: I don't remember ever seeing this video before in my life, but somehow I have a comment on it. Weird.

How is the comfort on the lower F hole? It seems it would be in a bit of an awkward position, as the finger usually sits higher. It is below the R2 hole and above the R3 hole, correct? Is it exactly in the middle of the two?
I felt it was very uncomfortable when I made it and commented so to the customer. He assured me that it was fine for him and indeed, he doesn't seem to have any problems in the video.
I can't remember if the hole was exactly in the middle of R2/3, but that would depend to some extent on the hole size.
I've never had another request for one of these.
So good it has to be a SYN!