"Whistlesmith" Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
celtinbirks
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

"Whistlesmith" Whistles

Post by celtinbirks »

Hi
Can anyone give me an opinion of Whistlesmith whistles?
Any other suggestions?
I am considering buying an inexpensive (under $60 US) whistle for my daughter to learn on. She wants a low A.
She is moving out, and I can't let her "borrow" one of my Overtons.

Thanks!
Celt
"Nothing will be impossible for you." - Jesus -
joshua7b

Re: "Whistlesmith" Whistles

Post by joshua7b »

Good morning,
I regret to tell you I have no experience with Whistlesmith whistles. I haven't really heard very much about them, although what I have heard is generally that they are decent. I have never heard anything bad about them that I can recall.

If $60 is your price point, I would highly recommend a Dixon Traditional Whistle in the key of A. I just gave one in the key of G away as a birthday present, but had it for a couple of weeks. It gave my Burke a run for it's money. Hobgolbin music has them here http://www.hobgoblin-usa.com/local/prod ... ID=GR2350A and they wind up being around $59 after shipping cost in the US. You can also find them on Bigwhistle.co.uk, ebay, and I'm sure you could find other places as well.

James Becker also makes some pretty good whistles for a good price. I have two. On top of playing pretty good, they are virtually indestructible. My 2-year old son has claimed these for his own. It's great fun to see him running around the house tooting on his own low D whistle. When I pick one up one of his whistles and start playing something for him, he tells me "No, no, no. My whistle." and then he takes it from me and plays a song for me. Anyhow, one in the key of A will set you back around $12. http://www.becker.embarqspace.com/#/iri ... 4526996956

Guido Gonzato is another good whistle in your price range. A lot has been said about his whistles, and it is always good. According to his site, "These inexpensive low whistles are designed to be a beginner's first instrument... and I want to give the second instrument a serious run for its money! Very light to hold, medium to low back pressure, very easy to blow and play." One of these in the key of A will set you back around $40 or so depending on the exchange rate.
http://www.ggwhistles.com/

Best of luck,
Josh
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
megapop

Post by megapop »

I don't have any experience with them either, but I find it interesting that they have a round window - never seen this before. Does someone know what effect this is supposed to have on the sound and playing?
return null;
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

And don't forget Jerry Freeman's tweaked whistles. Also within that price range.
You can reach him directly at jerry@tcenet.remove this spamblocker.net

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

I bought and played a Whistlesmith alto G whistle two or three years ago. The round window didn't seem to add or detract from the whistle in any way that I could see. I got it specifically because I wanted a more durable instrument in A or G to throw in my backpack. Through buying and trading over the subsequent six months I accumulated four better alto G whistles so I gave the Whistlesmith away. It was a decent whistle but there's not much to distinguish it in tonal quality or playability. I was not fond of the final three notes in the second octave which tended to be flat unless really pushed.

However, if I had your budget, I'd second Steve's suggestion of a Freeman A. This is a nice well-balanced whistle tending toward a traditional sound, with good resonance and is IMHO a better all around choice than the Whistlesmith. The Gonzato A is actually one of the better instruments that Guido crafts. The Gonzato is not, however, tunable where the Freeman is to some extent.

Good luck with your choice,
ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon