Burke Low G on eBay. Opinions?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
morgan

Burke Low G on eBay. Opinions?

Post by morgan »

Anyone recommend for or against this model?
Feadoggie
antispam: No

Re: Burke Low G on eBay. Opinions?

Post by Feadoggie »

This one?

That whistle goes back to 2005. It is not the most current Burke design. The tuning barrel has been re-vamped since then.

I play one slightly newer than that -same tuning slide. It is a very good whistle. Plays just like all of the Burkes I own.

But you never can be sure with a second hand whistle. It will go for what it is worth based on the number of eBayers watching it..

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
dspmusik
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dspmusik »

i have the old style (shorter tuning barrel) burke Bb and the newer (longer) burke A and love them both. i don't really notice a difference between the two.
i personally prefer brass over aluminum, but for under $100 (USD) you couldn't complain. these are what, $250 shipped new? I would think anything under $185 would be a good deal.
"By this we know we have passed from death to life: that we love our brothers."
supergeo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by supergeo »

With one day and 23 hours to go, there are 16 bids. Either there is a large number of people who are clueless about how to bid on ebay, or there are some shills working for the seller ( M***6 has gone in several different times and raised the bid.) Shill bidding ("bidding on your own auction against other bidders in order to raise the price at which your item will eventually sell") is not allowed on ebay, but it happens often. Also for those of you new to Ebay, if you are interested in an item, unless you are the first bidder, do not bid until the final (insert your number) seconds. Raising the bid in the middle of the auction does nothing but raise the price. That is great if you are the seller, but not if you are the buyer. All of the 15 other people who are not the high bidder, did nothing but raise the price for the current high bidder, and being high bidder this far out is no guarantee he/she will "win" the auction. In order for any of the 15 other people to win, they are going to have to put in another bid, so why keep bidding when you can just wait until the final seconds and place one bid?
Whistling Pops

Post by Whistling Pops »

I think there are only eight bidders. :) I don't see evidence of shill bidding
supergeo

Post by supergeo »

You are right about the number of bidders Whistling Pops.
I can't prove there are any shills, but it is extremely rare to have two bidders with zero purchase history on a $100 + item and m***6 seems to only want to increase the price. I am confident he won't bid enough to win the auction, but he might come back and raise the price some more. He seems to like to do that.
Whistling Pops

Post by Whistling Pops »

I find it strange that you think m***6 is a shill or that he "likes" bidding up auctions. I have bought and sold on ebay (mostly buy) for many years. It isn't at all strange that someone with zero feedback bids on an item over $100. I have sold items with bids much higher than that from bidders with zero feedback. Everyone that buys on ebay had to start somewhere. I wonder if you weren't hoping to buy the Burke for a very low price. My experience with ebay has led me to believe that upper end whistles generally have a good resale price on ebay. I will be surprised if the Burke goes for less than $200. As far as last-minute bidding goes, I agree with you that placing the highest bid you will pay in the last seconds of the auction is a good bidding strategy. However, sometimes someone places early bids to kind of feel out the bidders that are participating to get an idea of how high the auction might go. I don't think anyone has thus far "run up" the auction because I don't believe they are very close to the last bid price yet.