Lessons with written notes

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Starflyer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Lessons with written notes

Post by Starflyer »

Hi all
As I struggle with sheet music I'm looking for video lessons which have the notes written out.
A good example is this tradlessons YouTube lesson: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6idv6eJA2iQ where the notes are written in the comments like this:
the kesh jig notes ggababaabDEDDGDDEDBDBA ggababaabDEDDGDDagfg babDbDEGEDbababDbgabaaga babDbDEGEDbDGFGAGABGFG
Have you got any others you can point me to?? Cheers!!
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: Lessons with written notes

Post by benhall.1 »

Welcome to the forums, Starflyer.

I'm sure there'll be folks along in a while to point you to more stuff with note names. I always think that, just as you're starting out (assuming you are), that's the greatest opportunity to really learn about your instrument, and pick things up by ear. Start with something simpler - like Happy Birthday, or Twinkle Twinkle, and just find the notes on your instrument. By trial and error if necessary. It's just a knack, that gets to be easy after a relatively short while, and it'll stand you in good stead for ever after.

Meanwhile, I don't have any links with note names. But I'm sure someone will. (I'd still say don't bother with them though. :) )
Starflyer

Post by Starflyer »

benhall.1 wrote:It's just a knack, that gets to be easy after a relatively short while, and it'll stand you in good stead for ever after.
Thanks for that;) yes I am a beginner but after doing lessons in pipers grip & Mary had a little lamb I'm finding there a huge leap between all that and Irish music. I have tried working out what I hear but it's often too fast to figure out. That's why I liked the Kesh video as its then slowed down so by using the notes I can understand what they have done

I'd love to develop that 'knack' but it feels overwhelming to do all by yourself. What about lessons that show multiple options you can play off of the same notes?

Thanks again!
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Starflyer wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:It's just a knack, that gets to be easy after a relatively short while, and it'll stand you in good stead for ever after.
Thanks for that;) yes I am a beginner but after doing lessons in pipers grip & Mary had a little lamb I'm finding there a huge leap between all that and Irish music. I have tried working out what I hear but it's often too fast to figure out. That's why I liked the Kesh video as its then slowed down so by using the notes I can understand what they have done

I'd love to develop that 'knack' but it feels overwhelming to do all by yourself. What about lessons that show multiple options you can play off of the same notes?

Thanks again!
All of it can certainly seem overhwleming at first. And yes, Irish jigs and reels are a far cry from 'Mary Had a Little Lamb' :) . I have a suggestion there - there are some Irish tunes which are slower - song tunes and the like. You could try them. And the other thing that really is good for starting on is some of the simpler polkas. Kids often start on them, and they have the advantage of being 'proper' Irish dance tunes, but, at least for a fair few of them, relatively simple compared with a lot of the jigs and reels.

I have a specific tune suggestion to get you started - especially to get you started on this picking-it-up-by-ear thing. Try "O Those Britches Full of Stitches". I think you might like this video, and others by Ryan Duns. (Nothing wrong with Michael Eskin's stuff though for picking things up.)