The Horror

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jon Murphy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jon Murphy »

Dale has sent out a message regarding his concerns as to continuing this board briefly (not stopping it, just a hiatus).

As a New Yorker I would suggest that no one change anything they want to speak of. (Yes, I'm now in NJ, but there is no one more New York than me, born there, lived there and the parents buried there).

There is nothing you can do except to play a tune. I've played them on the harp and the whistle and the guitar. But go to the hospital in about a week and give blood. Right now they have too much (I was given a date five days later just to call to make an appointment). But when the coverage stops, then they will need it to substitute for the pull down of supplies. I can't find a store where I can buy a flag to hang, but next week I will find one. The blood is always needed, volunteer when there isn't an emergency.

Dale, write about whistles and music, without regard to the horror. There is no reason to stop normal music, and there is good reason to continue it. The pit that the news refers to was a pit years ago when I watched the Towers abuilding. The loss is enormous, but actually not that many in lives. It looks as if it will be about 5000 in round numbers, far less than I would have expected. And many less than some of the recent earthquakes in Central and South America.

But that is a stupid statement, although it was a "set up". The earthquake is an act of God devised by God, this is an act of a perceived nature of a god, as executed by foolish men.

There are foolish men who are Jews, and Christians, and Muslims - each may interpret the books of truth in his own way. But each perversion of the truth is equally noxious.

I repeat, I am an atheist (reluctantly, I'd really like to look forward to an eternal life). But there is a morality that transcends religeon. That is the morality of one's own self. And, with apologies to the Jews and Muslims, the brief form is in the New Testament (not that the principle isn't expressed in your own books).

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Actually I find that a bit selfish, it implies a quid pro quo.

My own comment would be this. Strike me and I can turn the other cheek, but strike someone weaker and I'll strike you down.

Never confuse manners with weakness. Don't assume that fire is stronger than ice. The fire may melt the tip of the iceberg, but there is yet the 90% below.

Best, Jon
totst

Post by totst »

Yes please keep this board running. I just replied to the shakuhachi list..it was getting too hot in there. I wanted to hear about shakuhachi, but instead got a bunch of people pointing fingers at each other, a lot unsubscribing too. This is a wonderful list with a lot of warm and beautiful people on board. I would hate to lose it at this difficult time.

Blessings to all,
Tots
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Dropping the board, even briefly, isn't to me q good idea. As a mark of respect to the victims, it is not necessary. For our members, it seems very much so. In the last four days, it's been a source of comfort and release for everyone. Sure, there've been some disagreements, but the level of civility and caring, even when disagreeing, has been nothing short of awesome.

It isn't a democracy, I know, but I/m adding my support for keeping it up.
WyoBadger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

I agree. I've seen so much respect, concern, and healing expressed on this board that shutting it down as a sign of respect doesn't seem to make sense.

That's what I think. Let's get through this together. There's enough isolation in the world.
Tom
LKtz

Post by LKtz »

I think if the board was dropped, I would cry. It's funny, I commented in my Wesern Civ. class yesterday, when we were talking about this whole NYC thingy, about how I am a member of a message board (AKA Chiff and Fipple) and everyone was comforting everyone. I really love reading this board, and I know I have learned so much about Tin whistle from it. But best of all I have met some really cool and caring people.

God bless Us All,
Caryn
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

IMHO, the more we let our lives be disrupted by these horrific events we give more small victories the perpetrators. I was heartened that my children’s schools did not close on Tuesday. My stepson’s soccer practice was not officially cancelled and although the coach was a no show the boys took it upon themselves to practice without him. I feel that keeping as much normalcy in our lives as possible right now is perhaps even more of a show of our strength as a nation than waving flags and singing patriotic ditties. Please keep the board running. I know there have been some off-topic postings re: 9/11/01 (certainly I’m a guilty party on that one), but I agree with Chuck that the camaraderie here is also a source of healing and comfort for some of us after these unprecedented events. Please don’t take it away.
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

I originally posted a message here, but the topic, The Horror, just didn't seem to fit, even though it was pertenant to the discussion found here.
Please find it under the new topic,

<b>This Community</b>

Thanks
Lee Marsh

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LeeMarsh on 2001-09-15 12:37 ]</font>