A New Player

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Zookeeper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Zookeeper »

The Walton's D I ordered has arrived!

In between phone calls (why is it nobody calls when I'm just sitting around?) I spent about half an hour running up and down the scales lamenting the fact that I am a die hard right hander. Those fingers do all right. It's the ones on the left, plus my breathing I'll have to work on.

I never imagined the difference breathing makes with a whistle, too little and I get nothing, too much and it screams something terrible. I have found that slow and steady works pretty good.

I have a much greater appreciation for whistle players now, yes, even after only half an hour. Whistle playing sounds, easy isn’t the word I’m looking for here, effortless is closer I think. A good player makes it sound effortless. Like it’s just the most natural thing in the universe to blow into this little bit of plastic and brass to have sounds come out that can inspire and motivate your soul. I figure it’s going to take a lot longer than half an hour to do that. Maybe five or six half an hours a day for the next three or four years might see me on my way. But I’m willing.

So far, I’m only familiar with the names of some of the great whistle players listed on this forum and probably have never heard them play, with the exception of the Chieftains. Most of my contact with Irish music comes from Mp3.com where there are a lot of good bands and music available. It looks like I’m going to have to expand my horizons.

Oh well, it’s getting late and I’m starting to ramble so I’ll back on out of here for now. Just wanted to let you know that there should be another whistle player out here someday.

Thanks for you time,

Rick
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Good luck Rick, and welcome aboard!!
My best advice to you is to get a good whistle tutor/method such as Bill Ochs' "The Clarke Tinwhistle", which will work just fine with your whistle. The CD has recorded step by step lessons which youcan follow in the book as you learn all phase of whistle playing.
BTW-- most people, wether left or right handed learn to play whistle with the left on top. However, there is no reason you can't play the whistle the other way around if your left hand completely refuses to cooperate!!
Patience- you'll get it. Paul Troy NY
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

On 2001-07-03 23:12, Zookeeper wrote:
Most of my contact with Irish music comes from Mp3.com where there are a lot of good bands and music available. It looks like I’m going to have to expand my horizons.

Rick
Dear Rick,

Welcome to the addictive world of all things fippled! :smile: I have a small site as well on mp3.com, and also tried to start an Irish whistle station there. Feel free to check them out:

http://www.mp3.com/blee

You can link to the station from the main page. I'm not trying to toot my own horn here, as I'm just about as novice as they come myself, just thinking this might help you with some tunes to get you on your way!

One last thing, when I started, it was all the slower stuff. Then after about a year I gathered the courage to tackle the jigs and reels. Now I can pick one up fairly easily within a short amount of time (usually anyway!) Don't know if this helps you or not, but just a thought.

Brian~
Zookeeper

Post by Zookeeper »

Brian,

Thanks for the link. I went there and after listening to your music added them to "My Mp3" so I can hear them whenever necessary.

Your songs are just what I'm looking for, slow and easy to listen to. None of my other Irish music is just with the whistle and it's hard to figure out the whistle part with all the rest going on.

I am definitely going to have to invest in some whistle CDs.

Thanks again,

Rick
FairEmma

Post by FairEmma »

Dear Zookeeper,

Ain't it grand?! And now the world of possibility just got bigger!

I remember the first time I tried to make a coherent noise on a whistle - it was a hugely humbling experience! I found (and still find) this helps: try a bit of practice standing up. Think about supporting the breath from below the lungs - reach to the abdomen (actually diaphragm, and derrier-tucking does help). This should help you get familiar with how to support the wind required, especially as you work the upper registers.

We all want to sit bent over our books as we translate word and note. It was only when someone suggested I straighten up that things started to look brighter for my playing. I'd even go so far as to say, if you aren't great at playing by ear and rely on sheet music and books, get a cheapo music stand and extend it so you can do some of your practicing fully upright.

Best of luck!

FE
RosieJ

Post by RosieJ »

Rick,
Glad to hear you got your whistle! I'm another newbie, or hope to be soon. My whistle came in the mail, bent and dented; I returned it and HMT called and said it's on BACKORDER! Arrrg! And they're not sure when they'll get more in, but less than a month, hopefully........ I also ordered a Walton little black in D, sounds like yours, and am fingering in the air til it comes! I'll check your post to see more advice for another newbie. Keep practising, you'll get it; 2-3 hours a day sounds FUN! What would we do without C and F and their great advice!
RosieJ
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Looks like things haven't changed much with HMT mail order. Buyers beware, Rosie's story is all to common - Whistles/Flutes arriving damaged, and then no replacements immediately available.

Same thing happened to me about a year ago, only with Olwell can flutes. Since then I've heard similar stories from a number of other folks.

My advice for newbies: Best to stick with Thom at The Whistle Shop whenever possible - or go direct to the maker if Thom doesn't have what you're looking for.

(In my best SNL Hanz and Franz voice) "Hear me now and believe me Later!"

Loren

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Loren on 2001-07-06 10:18 ]</font>
RosieJ

Post by RosieJ »

Hmmmmmm! Isn't that interesting to hear! I was planning to stop by HMT when I was in the area (DC) this summer; hope their shop is in better shape than their mail order system! Thanks for the advice about the "other guys" available to order from........and I'm still waiting on my order..........
Blaine McArthur

Post by Blaine McArthur »

Strange, HMT's trouble's are well known across the musical landscape. I also log onto the bouzouki e-list from time to time and have heard tales of woe related to HMT there as well. It is one thing to receive a bent whistle, quite another to receive a $700 bouzouki with a broken neck (a complaint I heard on the bouzouki list.)

I ordered a Clare 2 piece from them about 7 weeks ago, and haven't received it yet. I called yesterday, and they told me it was "back-ordered" This is the last time I wilol do business with them - from now on I will look elsewhere.

Blaine