O'Riordan Repair ?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ytliek
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

O'Riordan Repair ?

Post by ytliek »

O'Riordan fipple repair or replacement fabrication needed. Any whistlemaker suggestions? Any sources for replacement fipple? The whistle is an old O'Riordan high D in either metal or plastic/delrin/ABS/polymer (whatever you call it). The body tube is fine. The "plastic" fipple over the past few months had been developing a crack and finally chipped off near the corner of "chamfer" (lost chip).

This is not my whistle, but, a session player/friend (who doesn't follow C&F... yet...) that has been especially kind/helpful with getting me practicing whistle and attending ITM events. The whistle is not in my possession, but, I'll try and get photo(s). His backup whistle is a Sindt brass D so it didn't prevent playing. We're all just brokenhearted seeing a broken O'Riordan.

I'm just a newbie asking for help. Any and all suggestions appreciated.
Feadoggie

Re: O'Riordan Repair ?

Post by Feadoggie »

ytliek wrote: Any sources for replacement fipple?
You've got to be kidding. Right?

Get it back to Pat. That's the only course of action that should be considered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZvl7KBZh2g

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Thanks, PM sent
Cayden
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

Hey B,
If the PM falls short, I have some Gorilla Glue I can spare! :D

Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Cayden wrote:Hey B, If the PM falls short, I have some Gorilla Glue I can spare! :D Cayden
I don't want to wrestle'em off yer back to use it :D And, somehow I don't think the fipple damage is just a glueing matter. :really:
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

B,
C'mon lad, tell me you did not take me seriously about sloshing some Gorilla Glue on your bud's fine vintage O'Riordan?

Jesting I was lad. Now those big my monkees on me back are nothing to be fooling about. :D

Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Cayden wrote:Hey B,

Cayden
I know you're joking as evidenced by the :D
However, you bring up a valid issue: Delrin is resistant to just about every glue known to man (or woman). Years ago I contacted Dupont, which makes Delrin and asked the phone rep how I could glue this polymer. Her reply was "Good luck!".

Hope your PM to O'Riordan brings success.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

brewerpaul wrote:
Cayden wrote:Hey B,

Cayden
I know you're joking as evidenced by the :D
However, you bring up a valid issue: Delrin is resistant to just about every glue known to man (or woman). Years ago I contacted Dupont, which makes Delrin and asked the phone rep how I could glue this polymer. Her reply was "Good luck!".

Hope your PM to O'Riordan brings success.
Some info I came across in 2001 (so assume old product and phone #s), don't know if it's applicable today to use of Delrin:

Because of the "greasy" nature of Delrin, the surface treatment is typically the most important consideration for a glued joint. Common surface treatments include roughening and/or applying a primer (a solvent, or an acid). The primer etches the material surface giving the glue something to hold on to. Typical strength values for a bonded joint are 7000 psi with etching/primer, and 500 psi without etching/primer. Applicable adhesives are:

* Cyanoacrylate & Primer - 770, from Loctite (800-562-8483)
* Cyanoacrylate - Permabond 268, from Permabond (800-653-6523)
* Epoxy - Lord C3135 A&B, from Lord Corp (814-868-3611)
* Epoxy - FE7004 A&B, from H.B.Fuller (800-328-9673)
* Epoxy - Fiber Resin C14, from Fiber Resin Corp (800-346-9876)
* Epoxy - EA934NA & EA9394, from Dexter Corp (510-458-8000)
* Rubber - EC1711, from 3M (800-364-3577)

Another product mentioned in 2009 was:
http://www.cypox.com/home.html
"C-pox™ Plastic Primer is used for difficult to bond substrates such as...
UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight) polyethylene, Teflon®, Delrin®, ABS, polypropylene, high-impact, high-density plastics. Generally, if you are having difficulty bonding any plastic, it probably falls into this category. C-pox™ Plastic Primer is the only viable solution besides a plastic heat welder (melting) for bonding these materials."
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Honestly, I think the damage is requiring replacement fipple or fabrication. I'll let everyone know how it turns out. Thank you :)
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

How big is the missing piece? Does it render the whistle unplayable? Picture?
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

brewerpaul wrote:How big is the missing piece? Does it render the whistle unplayable? Picture?
Hi Paul, I'm still working on obtaining pics from my friend. The chipped off piece from the corner of opening is approx half inch and the crack continues back toward the beak quarter inch, maybe as much as half inch. He did play it broken delicately for a moment, but he was so worried about damaging fipple any further he stopped. He was in the middle of session play with a visiting player. It was a big session that everyone came out to support, about 30 musicians in all. (me, I'm the dedicated listener as there has to be an audience) :)