OAIM

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
squidgirl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

OAIM

Post by squidgirl »

So I've been checking out the OAIM website and thinking I might sign up. During my last whistle phase, I was doing the online whistle/flute course that Blayne Chastain has put together, and that worked out really well for me (actually better than the in-person lessons did, as far as complementing my personal learning style went). Anyway variety is nice and the OAIM membership fee also gives me the option of checking out other instruments too, so I"m tempted to give that a try.

Would anyone like to comment on the OAIM lessons, what aspects have or have not worked out for them, etc.? Does anyone have comparisons with Blayne Chastain's program? Or whatever observations might spring to mind about your experiences with either?

I'll start the ball rolling: I really, really like being able to rewind my teacher :D , & replay him/her as many times as I need to. I also seem to do much better when I get to try out unfamiliar things all by myself. I'm awfully klutzy when attempting something new, and having a person observe me and make suggestions as I try work through my initial clumsiness just prolongs & intensifies my spaz-out, and often makes me internalize very sticky mental garbage like THIS IS REALLY HARD and I JUST CAN"T DO IT.

Also, working from a video seems to really help with my not-so-stellar learn-by-ear skills.

On the less happy side: I found with Blayne's lessons that it would really have helped me to be able to slow down the videos. It doesn't seem like the OAIM video player lets you do this either, does it?
cephalopods => weirdly intelligent
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Re: OAIM

Post by Mikethebook »

I tried OAIM but found I preferred Blayne's relaxed conversational style where I found the OAIM tutors a little more formal. Here's some help for you on the video front. If you have a PC, you should be able to download for free QuickTime Player 7. On a Mac it's included automatically. It also has to be the "7" version. And its great. You can slow down videos and MP3s to half speed. I have all my MP3s set to automatically open on on the software so I can vary pitch and speed if necessary. Only if I need to be more accurate in pitch control or need a much slower speed do I open Amazing Slow Downer.
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

Squidgirl,
It seems to me that you have already best answered your own question. I agree with you that ultimately it comes down to self realization of your prefered learning style, finding the instruction that best satisfies those specific needs, and then applying them. It seems like you have largely done this. Like yourself, I would find the ability to "rewind" the teacher and the examples of instruction provided as many times as one wishes, to be very useful (the latter point being more important in applying learning by ear skills). I would also agree that the low pressure environment is advantageous depending on a persons personal learning style. It seems like Chastain does offer personal / Skype critique if you choose to bring it to that level. I thinl Mike raises some good points specific to the ability to use available technology to slow tempo and ajdust pitch as needed (for those having adequate access to such tools, this would seem particularly nice when trying to learn fast tunes). You seem to be very introspective and analytical in your approach to learning, something that I think will help you become a continually improving player as you progress.

Glad to see you getting back on the proverbial horse, enjoying music, and contributing to this forum. Take care and continued good luck to you. :thumbsup:

Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
Infernaltootler

Post by Infernaltootler »

I like OAIM and have been a member for over a year.

I use the expert lessons and find that I return to earlier lessons often and get a bit more out of them as I progress so never consider that I have 'done' a course.

I haven't found the speed too fast, although Mikie Smyth does tend to go very quick, Thomas takes it steadier. I haven't used the beginner lessons much yet.

I've also learned from Flute and concertina lessons, even the guitar but I draw the line at the banjo.

My main problem is getting time on the computer in a house with 4 kids.
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.
maki

Post by maki »

Well, you've already used Blayne's course, so try OAIM and see for yourself.
One month isn't too expensive.

And you know that OAIM has a bunch of free whistle lessons too.
(Its never been a better time to be a whistler.)
Poppi
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Poppi »

I second Maki's suggestion. There are three (not counting the beginner lessons) free whistle lessions with OAIM. I have finished The Baltimore Salute and am working on New Broom. I can't compare OAIM to Blayne's lessons, but as a beginner of two years, I really like learning the tunes phrase by phrase. I have not found the learning tempo to be too fast for these two lessons.

I will definately join once I get my financial house in order.

Poppi
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

squidgirl wrote:I'll start the ball rolling: I really, really like being able to rewind my teacher :D , & replay him/her as many times as I need to. I also seem to do much better when I get to try out unfamiliar things all by myself.
Noreen O'Sullivan recently posted on C&F as a new member. On her website in the "contact" section, lessons at each level available, Skype lessons, and such. Something new, something unfamiliar. She may be worth checking out; if you can "rewind" her playing... good on ya. I have no experience with the lessons, just a suggestion for lesson options. http://www.noreenosullivan.com/
trill

Post by trill »

squidgirl wrote:very sticky mental garbage
Cute turn of phrase ! (as well as spot-on !)
squidgirl

Post by squidgirl »

Mikethebook wrote:Here's some help for you on the video front. If you have a PC, you should be able to download for free QuickTime Player 7. On a Mac it's included automatically. It also has to be the "7" version. And its great. You can slow down videos and MP3s to half speed. I have all my MP3s set to automatically open on on the software so I can vary pitch and speed if necessary. Only if I need to be more accurate in pitch control or need a much slower speed do I open Amazing Slow Downer.
I have a Mac with Quicktime 7 but I don't think I know how to make web-based videos open using QT 7 as opposed to whatever other video-playing plugin has gained ascendency in my browser most recently (they seem to compete). Is this something I set within my browser*, or do I have to download/steal the videos to my computer somehow, then open them outside the browser using QT 7?

* I'm currently using Chrome, but don't feel any particular allegiance to it.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I used it for a month and had to cancel my service due to lack of time to dedicate to it. The process was painless. No problems whatsoever, no unexpected credit card charges, just a friendly welcome to come back and try it again if I ever found myself with sPare time to dedicate to it again.
So I can't fairly rate the quality of instruction, but I can say the customer service is top notch.
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

Squidgirl, no you can't open a video directly in QT 7 but there are various ways of downloading a video. Every browser has video download add-ons. But I use an app called Jaksta for Mac. If you are having problems with a particular video (for me it's often seeing how an ornament is being performed or what note is being played by a favourite whistle player on YouTube) you can download it with Jaksta and open the video with QT7, and under Window, choose Show A/V Controls.
O'Mulriain

Post by O'Mulriain »

I was looking at the Online Academy of Irish Music, but I think I'd rather do Blayne's whistle and flute courses because currently that's all I'm working on. Maybe a few years down the road I'll sign up if they expand their accordion courses (which I may or may not get into when I feel I've more or less mastered the whistle and flute), but for now, being solely a whistle and flute player, I find $13 a month for Blayne's courses is more practical than $20 a month for the OAIM's courses.
A person can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in their own work. This too, I see, is from the hand of God. Ecclesiastes 2:24
Mr.Nate

Post by Mr.Nate »

There are enough sample videos to see what your getting into. IMHO it seems like a pretty sweet deal considering you get full access to all their videos. Personally I would would be tempted to surf around on multiple instruments and spend a lot of time doing it.
Whistling in the Rockies!!
cunparis

Post by cunparis »

O'Mulriain wrote:I find $13 a month for Blayne's courses is more practical than $20 a month for the OAIM's courses.
I want to do the piano class at OAIM so I'll see if I can do the whistle one too. I think it's a good deal to join for a month assuming one has time to actually do the class in that month. I guess that's how they "get ya", knowing me I'll run out of time and end up keeping the subscription for a few months to do the piano class. :)

Also for me it's $25 and I'm wondering if there are different prices for different regions or if it's $25/month for everyone??
squidgirl

Post by squidgirl »

OAIM costs $20 (er... $19.95) for me here in Oregon, USA, while Blayne's costs $15 on a month to month basis. In Blayne's course you seem to purchase lessons for one instrument at a time, and doing OAIM gives you access to all the instruments.

I ended up signing up for OAIM... and then immediately ended up acquiring another competing time commitment (ain't that just how life goes).

But I can't tell whether it's our lousy DSL connection, or whether my video stream is just having a hard time making its way here from Ireland in a timely way. I have to pre-load the videos then watch them after they load, rather than having them stream the way they should.