Benjamin Franklin and his Whistle, perhaps...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
James D
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Benjamin Franklin and his Whistle, perhaps...

Post by James D »

Searching through older topics on C&F, I discovered this topic from 2006: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37741&start=0
vanfleet wrote:Hi ho all;
The following story may be of interest, but only if I can also manage to post a photograph of a very nice marble statue titled "Franklin and his Whistle."
I saw the statue first, in the library of the Union League of Philadelphia, and was curious why young Ben would be shown toting around a very nice looking penny whistle.
Have not been able to track down the artist or date of the statue (yet)....

the Statue:
"Franklin and his Whistle"

Here endeth the lesson in American history and philosophy.
JVF
I've been doing a little research, and discovered the statue is the work of Italian sculptor Pasquale Romanelli, (Florence, 1812-1887)

It seems there are actually a number of identical sculptures in existence, dating from 1863 and carved from White Carrara marble (whether they are all carved by Romanelli himself or by people in his workshop is unclear)

As well as the one in the library of the Union League, there is also a version of the sculpture in the Barr Branch Library at 1701 South Jefferson Avenue and Lafayette Street, St Louis; and a further one in Newark Public Library, Washington Street, Newark, New Jersey:

"Benjamin Franklin and His Whistle" Newark Library
White Carrara marble - carved, in Italy, by Pasquale Romanelli, in 1863

Interestingly, of the three, only the Newark one actually has the title “Benjamin Franklin and his Whistle” engraved around the base.

And then there is another example of the sculpture - in the Gallleria d'Arte Moderna, located in the Villa Saluzzo in Nervi, Genoa, Italy. This particular example has the Inventory no. G.A.M. 941

White Carrara marble - carved, in Italy, by Pasquale Romanelli, in 1863

Originally from the collection of the Prince Odone of Savoy, Duke of Montferrat, this latter sculpture was given to the town of Genoa by his father, King Victor Emmanuel II in 1866 after Odone's death

However this particular sculpture is entitled: “Beethoven Giovinetto” (Young Beethoven) ...