B generation

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
syn whistles
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

B generation

Post by syn whistles »

Could someone who has made a B whistle with a C Generation head either let me have the fingerhole dimensions and placements, or refer me to a thread which contains same.
Yeah, I could work it out, but eh, just for once someone else can do that part for me.
So good it has to be a SYN!
Feadoggie

Re: B generation

Post by Feadoggie »

syn whistles wrote:Yeah, I could work it out, but eh, just for once someone else can do that part for me.
Bad day, Erle?

I've got the measurements for making a B from a Bb Generation. I could point to a few threads where we've discussed that.

I don't have measurements and never tried going to B from a Gen C whistle. Haven't seen one done that way either (doesn't mean it isn't done somewhere).

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
syn whistles

Post by syn whistles »

I've got one of Jerry's tweaked D/C combos and I'd like to run a B with them as well. The fundamental note is strong so I don't think it will present a problem.
syn whistles

Post by syn whistles »

Never mind, nutted it out myself on the job. For anyone interested, from the bottom end, in mm, here are the dimensions I used; 172.5/5.5, 141/6.0, 120/6.0, 92/5.0, 74/9.0, 45/7.0.
When I looked at the label it turned out to be Jerry's Mellowdog combo.
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

syn whistles wrote:Never mind, nutted it out myself on the job. For anyone interested, from the bottom end, in mm, here are the dimensions I used; 172.5/5.5, 141/6.0, 120/6.0, 92/5.0, 74/9.0, 45/7.0.
When I looked at the label it turned out to be Jerry's Mellowdog combo.
How did it turn out? I'd think it would be better sound-wise to "sharpen" a lower pitched whistle than the other way around?
Btw i am well pleased with my D/C SYN set i got from Doc a while back!
Cheers!
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
highwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by highwood »

better sound-wise to "sharpen" a lower pitched whistle
I'm guessing that 'syn whistles' created a whole new tube - but I should really let him speak for himself.

A question to 'syn whistles' : What were the dimensions of the tube you used - id and od ?
“When a Cat adopts you there is nothing to be done about it except put up with it until the wind changes.” T.S. Elliot
syn whistles

Post by syn whistles »

Yes, MrB and hw, it was a completely new tube. It was a standard K&S 9/16x0.014". As the bore/length ratio decreases, whistles tend to become quieter, but the change was minimal compared to the C, and it worked out fine. The other option would have been to chase down a decent Bb and make a new tube. In theory that would have made a stronger B because the bore/length would be decreasing. However, having a Jerry tweaked head already on hand, and the desire to also have a D with it, the choice was obvious.
(Hope you continue to enjoy your Syns Mr B! :thumbsup:)