Finbarr's Auld Irish Pub Tune book

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MarshMan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Finbarr's Auld Irish Pub Tune book

Post by MarshMan »

Hi all,
I have the above tune book in PDF format that I downloaded a year or two ago (it was free). When I went to look for it just now, I couldn't find it. The reason I went to look for it, was that I have a question about the music given for one of the tunes. Does anybody know this book (compiled by John Sullivan in 2010 with 69 pages of music scores, frequently with two on a page), and is it still available for download somewhere?
Max
p.s. I would of course be more than happy to upload it to this site if there's provision for doing that.
Mr.Gumby

Re: Finbarr's Auld Irish Pub Tune book

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I would of course be more than happy to upload it to this site if there's provision for doing that.
Your better option is probably to upload it to a file sharing site like box.net and link it here.
My brain hurts

MarshMan

Post by MarshMan »

OK, I didn't think of that! Here's the link which I will leave active for a while, but as I don't have unlimited storage I'll will delete. But if in future somebody else wants it, I'll upload again. Let me know if the link works, and you're able to download please.
Max
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y27rvsn20nsm1 ... 1.PDF?dl=0

THIS LINK IS NOW DEAD - SEE NEXT POST
Last edited by MarshMan on Mon May 25, 2015 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

There's more at John Sullivan's Irish Tunes Web page, including the aforementioned tune book.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
MarshMan

Post by MarshMan »

Steve Bliven wrote:There's more at John Sullivan's Irish Tunes Web page, including the aforementioned tune book.

Best wishes.

Steve
Brilliant Steve; many thanks! Right, I'll delete mine now, and any further reader's can go there.
All the best
Max
p.s. I'll now ask my question on a separate post.
MarshMan

Post by MarshMan »

OK, so I've been learning from the Finbarr tunes, Saddle The Pony. In the process I went and had a look at various players tooting this number on YouTube. The difference I note particularly is the last four notes of each part. There are of course ornamentations in various degrees with all the different players, but in the main the majority have the last four notes different to the Finbarr version. Am I to understand that the 'other' version is the more usually played, or even correct version? Any Irish players who've been brought up with these tunes will have the answer here I feel. Although I've enjoyed Irish music for several years, I'm only recently starting to play a bit, and would consider myself a beginner.
Cheers
Max
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Not completely sure what you're asking but Saddle the Pony would end BGG G Granted, some may go BGF G but I can't really imagine anyone ending the tune in any other way unless you hear people leading back to the start of the next phrase BGG GBd || efe e... etc or BGG GBA || GBA G...etc , Is that, perhaps, the 'other' ending you're hearing? If it is, that doesn't really alter the end of the tune/phrase, it just links phrases and keeps the flow going.
My brain hurts

MarshMan

Post by MarshMan »

Hi Gumby,
OK, what I mean is I'm hearing a lot of players replacing the BGG G with AGF#G.
Pretty petunias to you
Max
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I see, a bit of melodic compression.

I read the notation without thinking what I actually would do myself and now I don't know anymore. I suppose each way is a valid way of doing it. Whichever way you want to take it in your own playing, make sure you have the flexibility to do the other one when you find yourself in the company of people who do the other one. Image
My brain hurts

MarshMan

Post by MarshMan »

Thanks Gumby, appreciate the clarity. I'll learn the 'other' way too.
Cheers
Max