Noreen O'Sullivan - new whistle CD

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Peter Duggan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Noreen O'Sullivan - new whistle CD

Post by Peter Duggan »

Peter Duggan wrote:Accompaniments are nicely done (never dominating or fighting the whistle) throughout
Thought so, anyway, but (having read Kenny's comments on The Session and given it all another listen) would now concede that the whistle's getting somewhat swallowed by the 'band' on a couple of tracks (the reels of track 4 and jigs of track 12). So could be more prominent there, though I still quite like the changing colours these bring to the whole, and it's clear as a bell over the fairly full backing of the closing track 14!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Peter Duggan wrote:Accompaniments are nicely done (never dominating or fighting the whistle) throughout
Thought so, anyway, but (having read Kenny's comments on The Session and given it all another listen) would now concede that the whistle's getting somewhat swallowed by the 'band' on a couple of tracks (the reels of track 4 and jigs of track 12). So could be more prominent there, though I still quite like the changing colours these bring to the whole, and it's clear as a bell over the fairly full backing of the closing track 14!
As a newbie whistler and attempting to develop a listening ear (skillset vocab), I have learning questions. Keep in mind I have little to no experience with musicianship, sound recording/engineering, studio/CD production, Noreen or band. My interest is focused on learning to play the whistle by listening to good whistlers. When you say the "whistle's getting swallowed by the band..." could that be a matter of who is "leading" at the moment? Does the whistle have to lead at all times? Could Noreen be moving away from microphone momentarily? (looking around at band, looking at sound engineers booth, etc., hence the whistle level drops out?) Or possibly, is it during postproduction where the engineers "adjust" everything, tracks, that the whistle level is dropped somewhat for whatever reason? In sound recording, are each of the instrument levels/decibels supposed to be equal to each other? Or does that depend on the instrument being that some are inherently louder than others? Any response is always appreciated. :)

I can see where all the technical aspects of creating a CD can be overwhelming, time consuming, and distracting from the simple love of playing the whistle. It is appreciated though. :thumbsup:
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

ytliek wrote:I can see where all the technical aspects of creating a CD can be overwhelming, time consuming, and distracting from the simple love of playing the whistle.
Not knowing the specific tracks ... The simple answer to your questions is that on a studio recording like this, there are no "accidents". The artist and producer/engineer are in control of the result, so what you hear is exactly what they intended. The instruments are recorded on separate channels, and the blend is carefully crafted. Mistakes like turning from the mike are very unlikely, and bad takes will be discarded anyway. Even the balance between over-engineering everything to perfection and allowing natural performance to shine through is deliberate. And though Noreen may be new to recording, her family and "band" are certainly experienced hands at it. With the right mindset, recording can be as much a liberating as a restricting experience.

So Peter's comment is simply a matter of aesthetic judgment, with no one right answer. And of course, I don't know anyone who can listen to their own recording afterwards and not hear (wince, wince) all the things they might have done differently. But at some point you have to stop second-guessing yourself and release a recording. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

ytliek wrote:When you say the "whistle's getting swallowed by the band..." could that be a matter of who is "leading" at the moment? Does the whistle have to lead at all times? Could Noreen be moving away from microphone momentarily? (looking around at band, looking at sound engineers booth, etc., hence the whistle level drops out?) Or possibly, is it during postproduction where the engineers "adjust" everything, tracks, that the whistle level is dropped somewhat for whatever reason?
Could be any/all of those things in other circumstances, but here it's pretty well got to be a conscious artistic decision to present these tracks more as 'band' numbers because you'd never put out studio takes (as opposed to single-take live recordings) where you were 'losing' key instruments as suggested above. So, yes, the engineers (NB 'mixed by Frankie Gavin and Noreen O'Sullivan') will have known what they wanted and (as already stated) I 'still quite like the changing colours these bring to the whole', but some might argue that the whistle's still quite recessed for a 'solo' album on these two tracks.
In sound recording, are each of the instrument levels/decibels supposed to be equal to each other?
No, balance is something you'd expect to judge by ear and is at least as much subjective as objective.

Master of nine?
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

MTGuru wrote:So Peter's comment is simply a matter of aesthetic judgment, with no one right answer.
Absolutely, and made as much to cover my own back as anything else. Hadn't read Kenny's 'Session' comments before posting my own, but respect his judgement, thought I should check (was probably too busy just enjoying the music to notice!) and found myself in agreement when I did. But we're really not criticising (well, constructively if we are!) when Kenny described it as 'the best solo whistle recording [he's] heard in years' and I loved it too. :)

Master of nine?
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Thank you MTGuru and Peter for the clarifications. I just thought perhaps in the excitement of playing that some musicians may have pepped it up a bit, ya know when the foot gets tapping, but, I do realize that adjustments are easily made by the engineers in the process to correct anything.

Thank you. :thumbsup:
Noreen

Post by Noreen »

[Thread revival! - Mod]

Hi
Thank you all for your lovely comments. I am so delighted that you like my music.
Just re reading everything you wrote, so sorry for my absence!!
I have been buzy teaching ,preparing students for competitions and composing.

Best Wishes
Noreen
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Noreen wrote:I have been buzy teaching, preparing students for competitions and composing.
Any thoughts about a second CD? Or possibly a tour? USA? Whistlers are well appreciated around here.

Thank you for dropping in...
Noreen

Post by Noreen »

Hi ,
A trip to the USA would be fantastic!! Who should I get in contact with?
Slan tamaill ,
Noreen
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Noreen wrote:Hi ,
A trip to the USA would be fantastic!! Who should I get in contact with?
Slan tamaill ,
Noreen
Hi Noreen,
There are plenty of venues to play. In NY region I would inquire with the Comhaltas groups. Here are the various chapters. The Fleadh just finished last week.
https://midatlanticcce.wordpress.com/co ... leadh2015/
NYC
https://midatlanticcce.wordpress.com/cr ... a-eabhrac/
Ask to contact Paul Keating, I don't have his personal email but the branch will forward a message for you. Ask Paul Keating for suggestions and contacts.

A short distance from NY is Fairfield, Connecticut and you can inquire through the website for Tim Quinn or Gregg Burnett. Frank G. is playing Fairfield this Saturday, May 23rd house concert. He will know the contact.
http://www.shamrockirishmusic.org/
If you use Facebook here are the links.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shamrock ... 9832489097
https://www.facebook.com/PVODonnellBranchCCE

Northeast Region Branches and contacts.
http://www.ccenortheast.org/north-east- ... nches.html

The Catskills Irish Arts Week is another possible venue to inquire with.
http://www.catskillsirishartsweek.org/

There may be other venues interested depending upon your travel plans.
Best Wishes!
ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Apparently whistling runs in the family... and yes there was some fiddling too.

Image Image

Frankie Gavin plays a wonderful house concert and the craic was mighty! You and your family are always welcome here Noreen!
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

Like Ytliek, I was at the house concert by Frankie Gavin last night and all I can say is WOW WOW WOW! Frankie wss beyond amazing on fiddle and awed us with a grand three reel set on the whistle. Gracious and humble to speak with, Frankie was entertaining both whilst playing and with his stories and one joke after another betwixt his magical fiddle playing on tunes. We were also fortunate to see Frankie collaborate with Tommy McCarthy (owner of "THE BURREN") a venerable pub and Irish TRAD music venue in Somerville, MA where many of the best players in the genre have performed. Frankie and Tommy played an incredibly tight set on their fiddles to the delight of all in attendance.

THANK YOU to Frankie Gavin, Tommy McCarthy, and all who made the concert possible. And Noreen, there are many of us here in the USA that would love to see more of the wonderful musical talent within ye family. That said, please consider a tour here and we would all welcome ye with open arms. :thumbsup:

Slainte,
Cayden
Last edited by Cayden on Mon May 25, 2015 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!
Noreen

Post by Noreen »

Hi Cayden
Delighted you and Bernard enjoyed a great night with Frankie.
Wish Sean and I were there with him.!!
Thank you so much for all your lovely comments and kind words.
Thank you also for your kind invitation.
Hopefully ,some day.

Slan go fill,
Noirin
Cayden
Tell us something.: I play high and low whistle with Traditional Irish Music being my focus of interest. I love Irish music and consider it as a direct connection to my Irish heritage. I enjoy participation in whistle tours, chatting with other players, and learning much from the many talented folks that frequent C & F.

Post by Cayden »

Noreen wrote:Hi Cayden
Delighted you and Bernard enjoyed a great night with Frankie.
Wish Sean and I were there with him.!!
Thank you so much for all your lovely comments and kind words.
Thank you also for your kind invitation.
Hopefully ,some day.

Slan go fill,
Noirin
Noreen,
You are very welcomed and I look forward to one day meeting you here in the USA on tour.

Cheers,
Cayden
"TEAM TRAD" Pro Staff
Official Life Member of DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
"Joanie Madden, Mary Bergin, and Andrea Corr, each a Whistle Goddess in her own right"!