Darach de Brun R.I.P.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Seanie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Darach de Brun R.I.P.

Post by Seanie »

Darach de Brun - piper, whistle player and tune smith died today.

Darach, who was tuning up at a gig this afternoon, keeled over with a massive heart attack and died a short while ago in hospital.

Both Darach and I started on the pipes together over thirty years ago. He was already a renowned whistle player and had written several tunes including the Maple Leaf and the Man of Aran.

He played in the group Oisin and was a regular player at gigs around Dublin.

(I have also posted this over in the Uilleann forum)

Ar dheis dé go raibh a anam.

John
R Small
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Darach de Brun R.I.P.

Post by R Small »

It's sad to hear of someone's passing. But not a bad way to go. If I could choose my own way of a final exit, being on a gig with instrument in hand would be it.
kenny

Post by kenny »

Thread revival : In memory of Darach, I've just posted a recording on "Youtube" of him playing 2 of his own reels on whistle at the Willie Clancy week in 1980. Audio only, I'm afraid - no mobile phone cameras in those days.

https://youtu.be/hmtD871gq88
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
kenny

Post by kenny »

RIP, Darach, hard to believe it's now seven years ago. Still playing your music though, and I'll be raising a glass or two tonight.
Anyone care to join me ?
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"