Anyone have a lead on a B whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Anyone have a lead on a B whistle?

Post by hoopy mike »

Plan B might be to try the tune on an E whistle (a bit like playing in A on a D whistle - not that difficult, depending on the tune)...
Feadoggie
antispam: No

Post by Feadoggie »

Thomaston wrote:That's interesting. I think I'll try it on my Gen Eb, since I've wanting a good E whistle.
We've discussed that procedure in the past too.
Nick Whittmer has a description of what he does on his site. He uses a Gen F and makes a new tube in E. He also sells finished whistles.

And here are my calculations for whittling down a Gen Eb to an E taken from this thread if you want to read the whole thing. The usual advice applies. You might want to cut conservatively, measure twice cut once, etc. You'll have to do the final tuning.
Feadoggie on Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:25 am wrote:I did some quick calculations for converting an Eb to an E scale based on what has been written about the Bb to B modification using a percentage strategy. You don't have to take a lot of length off from either end of the original Eb tube to get started.

Off the top of the tube - 8.76 mm
Off the bottom of the tube - 4.15 mm

Then check the tuning on the holes. That's where I'd start anyway.
Here's another way to go about it using a Meg D - kind on an E+ whistle.
GordonH wrote:I had been thinking about making a D whistle from a C whistle so that I had the extra hole left for a bottom C, but before I started I thought I would butcher one of my spare Meg whistles to try making an E whistle. Surprisingly it worked so here is what I did. It might not work for you though and you might need to file the holes to improve the tuning.
To make an E whistle get hold of a cheap Clarke Meg whistle in D.

Measure up from the first hole (the one nearest the mouthpiece) 20mm and make a mark with a fine permanent marker.
Cover the mark with clear tape or tap very lightly with a centre punch to help the drill bit grip.
Drill a 5mm hole using very light pressure and a high drill speed as you don't want to buckle the tubing.

Measure down from the third hole (the third one down from the mouthpiece - the original third one, i.e. the fourth hole you now have in the tube) 14mm and mark again with a permanent marker and tape.
Drill a 5mm hole.

Now cover the original fourth hole with a bit of insulating tape (you may be able to get a bit the same colour as the whistle). This is a small hole anyway so its not much to cover.

Your whistle now has seven holes. Put your fingers on the top six holes and you should get a scale of E.
If you use your pinky to cover the seventh hole you will hear a concert D.

It may be safer to start with a 4mm drill bit and test the tuning as making the holes bigger sharpens the notes.
You could then file out to 5mm with a round needle file.
You can also give a few strokes across the new holes with a half round needle file to take off the sharp edges from the drilling.

The hole spacing is a bit irregular but it works.
Here is a brief demo of what it sounds like (sounds just like a Meg in D):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_rcES5dhGU

Now to try making a D from a C and having that extra bottom hole (maybe use a Clarke original as the Meg C is not much good).
Hope that helps.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

hoopy mike wrote:Plan B might be to try the tune on an E whistle (a bit like playing in A on a D whistle - not that difficult, depending on the tune)...
Thanks, Mike. We'll keep that in the back of the mind. I've offered to help out. I've got a brass Burke in B to start with. We'll see how it goes. Looks like fun so far.

Feadoggie
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

Feadoggie wrote:
hoopy mike wrote:Plan B might be to try the tune on an E whistle (a bit like playing in A on a D whistle - not that difficult, depending on the tune)...
Thanks, Mike. We'll keep that in the back of the mind. I've offered to help out. I've got a brass Burke in B to start with. We'll see how it goes. Looks like fun so far.
I could give Andrea a ring and ask if she's still got that motorbike...
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

hoopy mike wrote:I could give Andrea a ring and ask if she's still got that motorbike...
No matter, I've got a motorbike she could use in any case. :) And B is still the plan!

I did give an F# whistle a thought or two last evening to play in B. It's one key I've never made. I had a shot last night at seeing if the hole layout for an F# whistle would fit on the three pieces of one of my low F whistles. I have a couple low F's on the bench which have not been drilled into yet.

Feadoggie
MadmanWithaWhistle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

Jerry Freeman built me a great mezzo-A whistle out of a Bb head and a custom brass body. I'm sure he can whip up a B for you if you want something metal and don't have a hacksaw. Freeman instruments are very well balanced across the octaves.
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Yes in the photo I posted the whistle on the far left is a Generation A that I made a few years ago. It's a Generation Bb head with a homemade brass body. It plays well in tune.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

keymacn wrote:So, let me put another option out there - does anyone who currently has a good B whistle have a good home studio they might be able to record a few lines in?
So, there was a punch line to keymacn's original question, "Anyone have a lead on a B whislte?". I offered to help with this project. And it turned out that what was needed was an F# whistle. :boggle: Who has an F# whistle?

So I had a bit of fun making an F# whistle and providing some tracks played on it. Nice work when you can get it! Thanks Neil, Scott and Adam.

Feadoggie
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Feadoggie, I never thanked you for your post about converting Eb to E, so many thanks. I think I'm going to try it.
eskin

Post by eskin »

I have a Burke B that I love, but I agree, try the Gen Bb mod first.
highwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by highwood »

out that what was needed was an F# whistle. Who has an F# whistle?
I know its a bit late now but I do have an F# whistle (low F#) that I made.
“When a Cat adopts you there is nothing to be done about it except put up with it until the wind changes.” T.S. Elliot
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

I wish I knew. I have a couple of indian all-metal whistles in B and A (ie, either side of a Bb gen). The metal is a muddyish brass and the solder a bit whiter. I'd like to know what the lead and I suppose cadmium contents are. The A is a particularly sweet sounding whistle.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

highwood wrote:I know its a bit late now but I do have an F# whistle (low F#) that I made.
:) OK, highwood! Had we only known that F# was what was needed. Can I ask how often you get a call to use your low F# whistle?

I was ready to play a brass Burke in B for this but the song (already recorded) was played in F# which was an interesting surprise. Things just didn't sit well on the B whistle. So we adapted and went with the flow.

I know that a couple makers offer an F# model. But I've never known anyone to play whistle in that key. F# has got to be one of the rarest keys for a whistle. I'd never had a need for an F# until this. So now I have a low F# whistle. And I have an F# design in the book. I made this particular whistle in three pieces out of 3/4" CPVC. It's not pretty but it plays in tune.

The only keys of whistle which I had not made prior to this were F#, and Ab. I have a low C# (which could use a re-design) but no high C#. So I'm gonna work on all those keys as soon as I get a chance. You never really know what key might come up next.

Feadoggie
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

I use my homemade C# whistle to play in F# (usually along with harmonium and tabla)...
highwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by highwood »

OK, highwood! Had we only known that F# was what was needed. Can I ask how often you get a call to use your low F# whistle?
perhaps never!

I did play it at a Christmas party this year to accompany singing - the host a composer/pianist joined in after a brief struggle, and commented at the end "Did you know you were playing in F# ?!?"

I have thought at times it would be good for playing a solo piece with less risk of everyone joining in - but it would not stop spoons, bones, bodhrans, tambourines, or whatever so that may not be too useful, or maybe it would be. I usually like playing with people so have not put this into practice!

Then there's the piano we were given and the similar ones lurking in various places which are a 1/2 tone flat - compared to them an F# whistle is a G whistle, come to think of it F# is G in "baroque tuning" i.e. A = 415 so really it is a G whistle!

Just some random thoughts

Edit - corrected baroque pitch value - brain must have turned off for a few minutes this morning - thanks to Peter Duggan for catching that
Last edited by highwood on Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“When a Cat adopts you there is nothing to be done about it except put up with it until the wind changes.” T.S. Elliot