Wooden block size vs block density for ease of playing

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Peter Duggan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Wooden block size vs block density for ease of playing

Post by Peter Duggan »

Reyburnwhistles wrote:Peter, my comment is in reference to the airway of a Clark which is fairly open and produces a full, less focused tone.
Aye, fair enough when you could drive a tractor through there (as I nearly said in drafting a reply to killthemessenger's block shape question that I didn't actually post)...

So, in reply to ktm ('how the Clark whistle's block is shaped'), flat top, flat (but sloping) front face and you could park a tractor under the shed (oops, windway) roof!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Reyburnwhistles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Reyburnwhistles »

YESSSS. LOL!!
cutterpup

Post by cutterpup »

Kypfer wrote:NB: Hot wax will spontaneously combust. If you must heat it on a flame (as opposed to an electric element) take suitable precautions. A wet towel to hand to put over any fire is probably adequate. Gloves and eye protection should be considered.
Wax is safest melted in a double boiler. That effectively keeps the wax away from the direct heat.
Judy and The Cutterpup
31 cameras, 11 recorders, 14 whistles, 3 mountain dulcimers, 1 vintage practice chanters, 1 wooden mystery flute, 1 hammered dulcimer, 1 bowed psaltry, 1 clarinet, 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 kids-in-law, 2 grandkids, 2 cats, 1 dog
Katharine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

cutterpup wrote: Being used to wooden recorders and the effects of moisture on the block I experimented and took the Clarke into the shower. It played better within five minute.
Oh no. My partner has not yet asked me why I own five whistles, but he may question why I'm now going to start showering with my whistle... (hell, I sing in the shower; might as well play whistle as well!)
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
cutterpup

Post by cutterpup »

Katharine wrote:Oh no. My partner has not yet asked me why I own five whistles, but he may question why I'm now going to start showering with my whistle... (hell, I sing in the shower; might as well play whistle as well!)
There is an old saying that goes "A man cannot ride two horses with only one body" My husband will throw that back at me saying "A woman cannot play two recorders (insert whistles as well) with only one mouth." He doesn't know that I once showered with Clarke :wink:
Judy and The Cutterpup
31 cameras, 11 recorders, 14 whistles, 3 mountain dulcimers, 1 vintage practice chanters, 1 wooden mystery flute, 1 hammered dulcimer, 1 bowed psaltry, 1 clarinet, 1 husband, 2 kids, 2 kids-in-law, 2 grandkids, 2 cats, 1 dog