CP: Open Whistle Tour

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Peter Duggan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: CP: Open Whistle Tour

Post by Peter Duggan »

skyspirit wrote:Apparantly that was a no no.
Who says?

Just been back over the thread several times and can even find the maker offering helpful advice (with some other measurements) to Cunparis but no-one complaining about your post(s). And why should they when the level of info you've 'divulged' is 1. relevant review content, 2. pretty well guessable from photos and 3. never enough to be able to replicate the whole thing?
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
10Thistle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by 10Thistle »

SkySpirit, for your Shakuhachi adventure check out these sites...

http://www.pacificsites.com/~jneptune/ John Neptune (real name), great, wildly creative and funny player based in Japan

and Monty Levenson based in California. Pioneering maker... http://www.shakuhachi.com/

Sorry you telling what goes in the not-so-secret "secret sauce" made too much of a ripple. :wink:
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

skyspirit wrote:I posted dimensions and hole sizes. Apparantly that was a no no. I thought that it was ok. So, I am asking moderator to remove that post. I thought that I had seen holes sizes and some dimension on other threads. I always thought helpful to me so that I could determine if my small hands could stretch that far.
I'm not sure who objected, but you've done nothing wrong. The point of a public tour like this is to get an instrument into the hands of our members who can then try it and report on it. That reporting includes a description of the instrument, and dimensions and measurements are a natural part of the description. Indeed, as you say, other threads present examples of this.

I can understand a maker wanting to keep some information private when an instrument is in the prototype stage. But that kind of arrangement should be made in advance between the maker and the testers. The tour should then probably be conducted in private, not publicly on the Chiffboard.

If there are any objections or qualifications, they can be addressed directly to the moderators.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
retired
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by retired »

Gentlemen - I pm'd Skyspirit re publishing detailed info on Eric's Open Whistles suggesting that it might have been better to check with Eric first, or get Eric's approval now. It's my opinion that Eric should be the one that decides if it's appropriate as he has done the work and invested his money in developing these whistles. This is not a fact but my opinion based on my values. I cannot speak for Eric. It's not my intention to offend Skyspirit.
skyspirit

Post by skyspirit »

retired wrote:Gentlemen - I pm'd Skyspirit re publishing detailed info on Eric's Open Whistles suggesting that it might have been better to check with Eric first, or get Eric's approval now. It's my opinion that Eric should be the one that decides if it's appropriate as he has done the work and invested his money in developing these whistles. This is not a fact but my opinion based on my values. I cannot speak for Eric. It's not my intention to offend Skyspirit.

No worries. I am not offended. :)
Learning how to learn....my music teacher
skyspirit

Post by skyspirit »

MTGuru wrote:
skyspirit wrote:I posted dimensions and hole sizes. Apparantly that was a no no. I thought that it was ok. So, I am asking moderator to remove that post. I thought that I had seen holes sizes and some dimension on other threads. I always thought helpful to me so that I could determine if my small hands could stretch that far.
I'm not sure who objected, but you've done nothing wrong. The point of a public tour like this is to get an instrument into the hands of our members who can then try it and report on it. That reporting includes a description of the instrument, and dimensions and measurements are a natural part of the description. Indeed, as you say, other threads present examples of this.

I can understand a maker wanting to keep some information private when an instrument is in the prototype stage. But that kind of arrangement should be made in advance between the maker and the testers. The tour should then probably be conducted in private, not publicly on the Chiffboard.

If there are any objections or qualifications, they can be addressed directly to the moderators.

I think that this speaks for itself. Thank you for the clarification.

:)
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago

Post by O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago »

I was one of the first on the tour and figured I should publicly announce my findings with these open whistles. My initial reaction is that they are a nice idea but are lacking in good design. Both of them are very week from low D to G, and they lack tone. Both of these are due to a simple design issue. The other thing that under impresses me is the fact the C natural on the large holed one is very sharp.... it just doesn't want to be cross fingered, only half-holed. The volume is really no better than a quenacho. Here's is how they rank in decibels:

large hole open whistle=87 101
small hole open whistle=85 101
small hole quenacho=85 102
large hole quenacho=88 103
large hole rudall flute(for reference)=93 100

I took all readings from 5 feet away in a carpeted room. The first number is the first octave, the second number is the second octave. I think with some design changes they could play a lot better, those unfortunately I rather keep to myself for now. I guess I can be nice a drop a nice hint to the maker...... wall thickness. Btw, I mainly play flute and quena/quenacho so there is not an embouchure at fault here. I really do like the idea and hope the maker will continue to develop this concept but I'm definitely not sold on the current designs.
eric56

Post by eric56 »

@ Skyspirit
There was a misunderstanding. My thanks were sincere because you were the first to comment. The description on the size of the instrument does not bother me at all, I have nothing to hide. Please excuse me if I express myself badly, my English is very bad and I use the Google translation.

Likewise, I thank O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago for volume tests. The purpose of the Open Whistle is not to exceed the quenacho but to have enough volume to play in session while having the sound of a low whistle.
skyspirit

Post by skyspirit »

eric56 wrote:@ Skyspirit
There was a misunderstanding. My thanks were sincere because you were the first to comment. The description on the size of the instrument does not bother me at all, I have nothing to hide. Please excuse me if I express myself badly, my English is very bad and I use the Google translation.

Likewise, I thank O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago for volume tests. The purpose of the Open Whistle is not to exceed the quenacho but to have enough volume to play in session while having the sound of a low whistle.

No worries my friend. Just to let you know. I get better 2nd octave from emb. While the seal is critical of course, I found that my emb used in flute playing is better at getting the second octave. Having said that, the flute is better for me when talking about key in D. High D is different for me. For that, in a whistle might be different. Just my quirky old ways. Yep, I am old. :lol: My grandchildren say that. Well, they can get by with it. :lol:
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I received the two open whistles today and I am impressed. They both play well in tune and smooth. I do find the 3/8'' embouchure a bit more easy to play than the 1/2''. I am also able to develop a stronger tone with the 3/8''.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
eric56

Post by eric56 »

Yes Tommy, the soft version is easier to play, apparently it suits you better, that's why the sound you think is stronger.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

plunk111 wrote:Hasn't gotten to me yet

Pat Plunkett
Coming soon. Mailing Today. :)
Sent you a PM to confirm your address.
The open whistles are on the way to WV.
Here are a few sound clips.
The first clip has the larger window first than the smaller window.
The second clip only has the smaller window which was my preference.

Last edited by Tommy on Tue May 01, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skyspirit

Post by skyspirit »

Thank you Tommy for the video. LOL. It showed me that I haven't raised the end blowns up enough to seal with the bottom lip. So, thanks for that. :D
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

skyspirit wrote:
eric56 wrote:Clarification,
For a nice sound, the tongue behind the lower lip is very important. Otherwise, you will have problems to play the two octaves and more.
this did not work for me on shak or rim blown. Just my 2 cents.
Tongue behind the lower lip did not work for me either. I gave it the flute smile slightly stretching the lower lip across my bottom teeth. Then pressing the embouchure window against my chin and lip making adjustments with the upper lip till I found the best position.
eric56

Post by eric56 »

Here a new video :
0pen Whistles tunable version of Eb - D - C