Does music even exist for these tunes?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
fiddling_tenor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by fiddling_tenor »

The Chieftains' Best of the Chieftains album has a tune called O'Sullivan's March. It was also used in the movie Rob Roy; and the Boston Pops recorded it on their Celtic CD.

Solas' Solas CD track 1 is a tune called Nil Na Law. It also can be heard on the Boston Pops CD referenced above.

Now...

Does anyone know where I can find sheet music for these two tunes? I've checked the usual places, like JC's ABC Tunefinder.
"Put": the act of placing something in a specific spot.
"Putt": the vain attempt to do the same thing.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I wish I had a straight answer for you, but this will have to do instead. The Chieftains have a book of some of their tunes. I don't have it and don't remember what's in it. (I flipped through it at a music festival, but I already had a glut of books, so I put it back.) If you locate this book on-line, you might locate the table of contents. I bet someone on this board has it. (Of course, there's always slow speed software for transcribing your cd.)Good luck.
Tony
Eldarion

Post by Eldarion »

Hi! I've came across a score book with all the music from the Chieftains CD: The Best of the Chieftains in a local store. That book has O'Sullivan's march on it in score notation. I haven't checked but I don't think you'd have too much trouble finding it on one of those amazon etc online bookstores.
eubiedubie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by eubiedubie »

The Best of The Chieftains has O'Sullivan's March.I think I bought mind thru Tayberry Music along with the CD
Phlebas

Post by Phlebas »

Hi,

I've just found out about the Chieftain CD/tunebook from this post... can someone tell me if it has the tune "Walls of Liscarroll" on it? I really like this tune, and I've heard that the Chieftains have performed it in concert.

Phlebas
Adams_gert

Post by Adams_gert »

you can find sheetmusic for O'sullivan's march on http://www.hslc.org/~gormley/tunes/
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

O'Sullivan's March was one of the first tunes I learned on the whistle. Since I can't read [music], I picked it up pretty quick by ear. It's not a difficult tune, but when the Chieftains play it, they play a segment anout half-way through that changes from a D whistle to a C and then back again.

That part through me for a little while, untill I figured out what they were doing. I have a brief version on my mp3.com page at: http://www.mp3.com/blee

It may help, and then it may not. Feel free to give it a listen if you like though.

All my best,

Bri~