How do I make a Low Tech Whistle chirpy?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mr Ed
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

How do I make a Low Tech Whistle chirpy?

Post by Mr Ed »

The main thing that keeps the Walton's Irish Whistle toward the top of the rotation is its chiff (chirp). It is either nonexistent or rarely noticeable with the Low Tech Whistles. Is there a way to make a chirpy LTW?
Carey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: In the dog house. Gone playing music too much recently.

Re: How do I make a Low Tech Whistle chirpy?

Post by Carey »

There probably is, but the sound generation is dependent on so many little factors in the chaos of the head of the whistle, that it's hard to say what to try to move in that direction.

The thing you are hearing as "chirp" however, is the period of instability in the sound wave in the whistle while it settles in on the new steady state after changing or starting a note. I suspect the chirp you seek is more pronounced when starting the note or after tonguing.

So, starting with your current head parameters, do what seems like it will make a less-nice environment for sound production. Things like flatten or round the labium. Change it's position in the air stream exiting the windway - higher/lower or farther/closer. Or maybe send a flat stream of air (vs curved as the low-tech approach uses) against the curved labuim, or use a flat labium and a flat air stream into the cylinder of the body. Be the air.

I guess I just said look at the two whistles and try what you see different.
When there's a huge spill of solar energy, it's just called a nice day.

http://www.parkswhistles.com
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

What Carey said!

That being the case, look at the bore diameter and wall thickness of your Walton's IW. Both contribute to the sound and response of that particular whistle. The head is also hollow under the windway unless you have filled that with putty. The Low Tech whistles tend more to the wide bore side of things and may prove difficult to make what you call chirpy.

Chirpy (to me) comes from the player - mostly from crisp cuts, taps and rolls. The LTW's I have, which were made by Dr. Gonzato, qualify as chirpy in that regard.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Mr Ed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mr Ed »

There probably is, but the sound generation is dependent on so many little factors ...
Maybe I should just appreciate their tonal quality and stick with the already good resource/instructions for the LTWs. One of them does have some chiff though, a key of C that has a notch out of the lip. I messed it up when wrapping the sandpaper around a small screwdriver and using too much pressure when shaping the ramp. It's now kind of V shaped, but with the wider window is a little breathy along with the chiff. Not the prettiest thing going, but sounds pretty good.
I suspect the chirp you seek is more pronounced when starting the note or after tonguing.
That's it! 2 out of 4 of the whistles are easier to get it. Maybe this is something that will be easier to achieve on all of them in time.
The head is also hollow under the windway unless you have filled that with putty.
I filled it with putty. The tone was so awful that something had to be done. There was a lot of flash in the window and on the lip too.
Chirpy (to me) comes from the player - mostly from crisp cuts, taps and rolls. The LTW's I have, which were made by Dr. Gonzato, qualify as chirpy in that regard.
I've noticed more of this lately when listening to Micho Russell. It seems like he had a good deal of control of the chirp. Cuts and strikes are still new, and it looks like my learning speed is going to be slow and steady.