Low G whistle, what to try next?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Low G whistle, what to try next?

Post by PhilO »

Ask Pat O'Riordan to make you a G Traveler, then bring everyone inside to listen to it; Heaven's better than outside.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
cunparis
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by cunparis »

ecohawk wrote:I just traded away a Chieftain Low G that could be heard in the next town. It was definitely loud enough to play outside. My Goldie/Overton is loud enough to play outside as well. The Chieftain may be less than 100 but the Goldie won't be. I don't own any Susato's but I've heard the mid-range and low and they don't have the ear splitting qualities of the high D's and such.
I'm curious how you would compare the Chieftain & Goldie Low G's? I'm debating between an inexpensive Dixon Aluminum G or spending a bit more, and if I spend more I'm not sure how much more I should spend. I don't think I'm good enough to really appreciate the difference but at the same time I figure one of these should last a lifetime so ..
Chino

Post by Chino »

PhilO wrote:Ask Pat O'Riordan to make you a G Traveler, then bring everyone inside to listen to it; Heaven's better than outside.

Philo
The O'Riordan's Traveler Low G is indeed a wonderful whistle by a wonderful maker.
Peter Duggan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

cunparis wrote:I'm curious how you would compare the Chieftain & Goldie Low G's?
If it's any help, I've got both an original (early 1990s) Overton and Chieftain V3 in low G...

Sent back two Overtons and kept the third because it was the only one producing the full two octaves with that big bore, returned the first Chieftain through doubts about a clean 'written' top D (sounding G) and have found its replacement to be similar in requiring careful handling there (noisily multiphonic with OXXOOO, sharp with any variant of OXXXXX or XXXXXX, but cleaner and better pitched with XXXOOO half-holing LH1).

Have also found the Overton to be flat enough to benefit from pitch-shifting when recording (it's a non-tunable model) but would expect Colin Goldie to be on top of that as well as able to voice to order (while my Overton's not exactly quiet, the two I rejected for lack of top range were definitely fatter lower down). Might add that the Chieftain's more open and flutey, and (like the matching low D and F, which I like a lot) allows you to 'colour' low notes by blowing flute-style (if you know what I mean) through to the higher octave without compromising stability at the low end when you need it.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
davethetrike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by davethetrike »

Hans made me a whistle, no the whistle! I asked for a whistle that had decent volume, reasonable breath requirements, able to blow easily into the second Octave. And a nice firm base note. I'm not sure what he did...far too complex stuff for me but it works beautifully. Still has some chiff, easy breath, lovely, loveley tone. Nice volume, not LOUD as in noisy but loud as in it carries. Easy second Octave.
Outside test soon.
Happiness

:D

Oh and it's so light and easy!

Shame I don't want another whistle (did I really type that)!
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

I made Dave a wide-bore aluminium low G, 19.8mm bore with 1.2mm wall (not 19mm as I wrote in an earlier post). The tuning sleeve is also made of thin walled aluminium tubing, which makes an overall very light tunable whistle. Head and tubing is the same as my standard low F, but the shorter low G body makes it into a wide-bore whistle with added volume.

After careful finishing and voicing the whistle had a surprisingly large dynamic range, it could be blown quite softly as well as loudly, pushing the relative pure tone into a reedier, dirtier tone at full volume.

This is my first wide-bore low G using this tubing (I used thicker walled 19mm bore tubing before). Have to make one for myself now! Very happy that the first will become a Morris whistle (if Dave's outdoor testing proves successful).
nickthepiedpiper
Tell us something.: I love Irish whistles and I make them and play them and at times I enjoy talking about them. I also play Uilleann pipes and love Celtic music in general.

Post by nickthepiedpiper »

BTW. just so you know I can make the customs fees go away with a little magic, and I have all the buy now buttons up for free shipping worldwide. I understand how people want a whistle with a specific sound/feel etc. so you are welcome to try my whistles, and if they're not for you, no worries.

pardon my ignorance, but what is "Morris Music?"
ecohawk

Post by ecohawk »

I'm curious how you would compare the Chieftain & Goldie Low G's? I'm debating between an inexpensive Dixon Aluminum G or spending a bit more, and if I spend more I'm not sure how much more I should spend. I don't think I'm good enough to really appreciate the difference but at the same time I figure one of these should last a lifetime so ..
The Chieftain was incredibly loud such that I traded it away because I couldn't muster enough breath to blow it in tune. Others seem able to handle it though. I find my Goldie/Overton to be a wonderful whistle with enough volume to always be heard sans the painful, for me, breath requirement. It is a really nice whistle and Colin will take all your needs into consideration when making your whistle. He will also, like most who hand-craft instruments, continue to work on it post-sale to make it fit your expectations.

Good luck,
ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
davethetrike

Post by davethetrike »

nickthepiedpiper wrote:BTW. just so you know I can make the customs fees go away with a little magic, and I have all the buy now buttons up for free shipping worldwide. I understand how people want a whistle with a specific sound/feel etc. so you are welcome to try my whistles, and if they're not for you, no worries.

pardon my ignorance, but what is "Morris Music?"
How do you describe Morris dancing?

Morris dancing is traditional English dance usually performed in sets of six to 8 with either sticks or hankies sometimes both, although it can be in 1s 2s 3s 4s 5s... Morris Music is usually folk based, and traditionally based on English folk music, with lots and lots of other folk and traditional music gathered under the heading 'Morris Music'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpwEzpAgrnU

Using an up to date version of an old Breton tune, now called 'Theme Vanatiase'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6hgA23ZwVo

The music to this one is cuckoos nest :)

Hope the mods let this slip off topic....