New whistler here

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Califiddler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

New whistler here

Post by Califiddler »

Just wanted to introduce myself.

I have played several other instruments for quite a while and finally decided that I needed to try tin whistle. So I ordered three D whistles so that I could go back and forth among them and begin to get a feel for the differences among them. I got a Clark Sweetone, a Generation brass and a Feadog.

I started off just learning the major scale, then figuring out some simple melodies by ear. I have now gotten Cathal McConnell's 3-CD instructional set from Homespun Tapes.

The differences among the whistles are interesting. I find the Sweetone the easiest to play, although the most difficult on which to play the highest notes in the upper register. The tone is very sweet, but too mellow - no edge to it at all.

The Generation is the most difficult to play, especially on the low D and E notes, but the easiest on which to play the highest notes in the upper register. I would put the tone last among the three.

The Feadog is in the middle in terms of ease of playability. It is fairly easy to play the highest notes in the upper register. Sometimes, after playing it for a while, I can't play the low D at all. If I start at around G and work my way down to the low D I can play the low D OK. Or if I set it down and play one of the other whistles for a while, then come back to it, I can play the low D again.

I like the tone of the Feadog the best. Mellow, but with a nice edge to it. So far it is my favorite of the three.

I assume that the next step from here would be a Tony Dixon Trad or one of the tweaked production whistles?
Feadoggie

Re: New whistler here

Post by Feadoggie »

Califiddler wrote:I have played several other instruments for quite a while and finally decided that I needed to try tin whistle.
Welcome to C&F.
Califiddler wrote:I assume that the next step from here would be a Tony Dixon Trad or one of the tweaked production whistles?
Choice of a whistle is a personal taste thing. No one whistle suits every player and many of us do have a large stash of whistles.

But I would humbly suggest that you pick one of you current whistles and stick with it for a while coming to terms with the issues that you currently observe with them like the high notes on the Sweetone, the low notes on the Feadog or Generation. Learn to play. It's all about breath control. You will likely find that the whistles you have are just fine.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

I am non-humbling suggesting to keep one of the whistles in your car, backpack, or purse. Any place a second whistle would come in most handy while you have time on your hands. I am also telling you right out, don't whistle and drive.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Califiddler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Califiddler »

Thank you for the advice, both as to working with the whistles that I already have, and as to keeping one in the car - been doing that already, at stoplights only.

I am sure that the differences from day to day are with me, not the whistles, so I will continue to work with these whistles.
ecohawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ecohawk »

Welcome. You're in the right place.

This is a really humbly offered piece of advice since I can't hear you or see your whistles. But, I agree with the others here that you should choose a couple of these to practice on until you are comfortable, unless you determine that none of them is without serious flaws.

From your description of them, IMHO, I would tweak the Feadog a little by packing the head with blue tac or something similar. That should stabilize it in general and strengthen the low end somewhat. It may become your go-to whistle. You could do the same with the Gen and it may help is as well. There are some who believe that Gens vary in quality. I can't speak to that since all the Gens I have were tweaked by Jerry Freeman. I haven't heard the same about Feadog's and in fact own one myself.

The tweak I described can be found by reading the section in this board on tweaking. It is not difficult and you will find other suggestions that are more difficult but that may prove useful as well. I'm betting that by simply carefully filling the head cavity, it will vastly improve the Feadog. It certainly did mine.

Good luck and let us know how you progress,
ecohawk
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon