New Dixon Tapered Bore low D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DrPhill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

New Dixon Tapered Bore low D

Post by DrPhill »

I have one of Tony Dixon's new tapered bore low D whistles. My first impression is that it is very good, and easy to play; if my first low D had been like this I would have learnt a bit faster. It has a good balance between the low and high notes, and seems reasonably loud - but I will try it at a session next week and report back on how that goes.

I am still making friends with it at present, but I will try to record some snips and take some pictures over the weekend.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Pipe Bender
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: New Dixon Tapered Bore low D

Post by Pipe Bender »

We wait with bated breath!

BTW I've checked out Tony's website and didn't notice this new addition to his line yet. Does it have a model number and has the retail price been set?
Blaydo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Blaydo »

Can you compare it to the older Dixon low D Aluminium tuneable? Any idea of the weight? I don't see it on the site either.
Trout Mask

Post by Trout Mask »

It's not shown on the site yet but it's:

DX003 - Polymer Low Whistle

Same code as the previous cylindrical bore model, that one has been phased out and replaced with the new bore

It's also available on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIXON-TAPERED-BOR ... 5643627795
Fast & Bulbous
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Trout Mask wrote:It's not shown on the site yet but it's:

DX003 - Polymer Low Whistle

Same code as the previous cylindrical bore model, that one has been phased out and replaced with the new bore

It's also available on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIXON-TAPERED-BOR ... 5643627795
Not quite, the one I have is the replacement for DX012 and its new model number will be TB012D.

Their website will be updated in the next few weeks, apparently.
Blaydo wrote:Can you compare it to the older Dixon low D Aluminium tuneable? Any idea of the weight? I don't see it on the site either.
Only if you send me one for comparison. :D
Pipe Bender wrote:(..................) has the retail price been set?
I am not the person to answer that.
Phill

Trout Mask

Post by Trout Mask »

DrPhill wrote:Not quite, the one I have is the replacement for DX012 and its new model number will be TB012D.
So yours is a tunable Phill?

I had read somewhere that the new tapered bore was only going to be available as a non tunable

Wonder if they will be doing other keys in the now bore, I'm currently looking for a new Low G

How do you find the bottom D & E Phill? I always found them very weak on the older cylindrical model
Fast & Bulbous
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

OK, folks. I got some time to record a sound sample this morning. No practice, no frills, and no post processing (well, I did 'normalise' the signal and remove a couple of false starts). This is meant to demonstrate the sound, rather than my lack of preparation :D . I have not made a sound clip available by this means before - please let me know if there are any technical difficulties.

So here are some more impressions of the whistle - I will know more when I have played it more, and I want to see how it copes at a session.

It looks pretty much like the other Tony Dixon plastic tunable whistles (hence no pictures). The taper on the bore is quite subtle. The internal diameter of the body drops from 21mm to 18mm (both approx). The only other Dixon whistle that I can reasonably compare this whistle to is the non-tapered plastic A, of which I am not too fond. I find the top notes on the A somewhat 'scratchy' and unpleasant, but the new low D has none of this roughness. I do need to 'up' the breath a little, and close my embouchure a little to control the upper notes, but they are pleasant to play. In the recording you will hear me reach the second C natural (0x0xx0) with little trouble. Even if this difference is the only consequence of the design change, then it is still a big step forward. But I could be comparing apples and pears....

The lowest notes are reasonably robust. No more fragile, relatively speaking, than a Copeland but not as solid as my Goldie-Overton. The notes are reliable though, and the breaking point quite clean and predictable. All the notes seem to pop out cleanly, and (at my competence level) the whistle seems very responsive to articulations (and mistakes :oops: ).

I have not yet played the whistle into a tuner, but it sounds right to me. (I am using 0xx000 for the lower C nat).

The air requirements are a little higher than I personally prefer, nowhere near as much as, say, a Copeland, but it is definitely an 'easy blower'. My first, and continuing, impression is of a very easy-to-play whistle. As I said above, this whistle would have sped my learning of the whistle had I had it four years ago. The fact that it needs no warming up, and is physically robust and beer-proof may see it getting more use than some of my more expensive whistles. Time will tell.

I think you may be able to order one of these whistles by phone, but it will be a while before their new website is up and running. The word from Tony Dixon is that this whistle is only available in low D - but with something that might have been a hint of plans to extend the tapered bore to other keys. There were hints as well of an upcoming 'tunable tenor D with a brass tuning slide'.

I hope that helps answer some of the questions.
Phill

Blaydo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Blaydo »

Cheers Phill, how much is it in the UK anyway?
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Blaydo wrote:Cheers Phill, how much is it in the UK anyway?
I don't know. Probably about the same as the current model. You could ask Tony Dixon.......

Rereading my post I feel it comes across less positive than I actually feel about this whistle. I think the whistle is a very good balance between playability and range (from the low notes to the high ones). I greatly enjoy playing it, although how much is the 'new whistle effect' and how much is on its own intrinsic merit is hard to say until a week or two has passed.

Also, I forgot to mention that the head design has changed from the previous straight bore whistle. I cannot confirm this (never having played the previous model), but I think Tony said that the windway height had been reduced (increasing back pressure) and that the blade angle had been changed.
Phill

Pipe Bender

Post by Pipe Bender »

DrPhill wrote:You could ask Tony Dixon.......
Phill, I really appreciate your feedback on Tony's new Low D.

I had sent Tony an email inquiry and mentioned that we were wondering what the retail price might be. I'll let the Forum know as soon as I have a reply.
scottie

Post by scottie »

Thanks Phil for the info and the awesome sound clip of the new Tony Dixon Low D whistle. You sound very good on it. The range of notes(highs and lows) sounds very good also. Happy whistling to you.
Scottie
Trout Mask

Post by Trout Mask »

But 'is it tuneable' Phill ?
Fast & Bulbous
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Trout Mask wrote:But 'is it tuneable' Phill ?
Sorry, TroutMask, I thought I had answered that. Yes it is tunable; I think it is intended as a replacement for the DX012.
scottie wrote:Thanks Phil for the info and the awesome sound clip of the new Tony Dixon Low D whistle. You sound very good on it. The range of notes(highs and lows) sounds very good also.
Thank you. I hope I did justice to the whistle, but I am only a beginner, really.
Phill

Trout Mask

Post by Trout Mask »

Thanks Phill

PS: 'Beginner' or not you sounded well on the clip
Fast & Bulbous
mickey66
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a Professional Musician in Phx, Az. Lived in Calif(Hollywood) for about 10 years(1970's) working in the studios and on the road with stars of the day. Started to follow my roots which took me back to the old country and the Irish Tin Whistle. I wound up here on C&F forum!

Post by mickey66 »

well, i will throw in my 3 cents.....DrPhill, your sound clip is very good and i very much like the sound of the NEW Dixon low D and i think the old dixon low D of which i own has a much more breathy sound(woody)jmho tho....i like both!

http://www.tuxedomusic.com