new Kerry low D on the horizon

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
scottie
antispam: No

Re: new Kerry low D on the horizon

Post by scottie »

AvienMael wrote:Yep, for all those people who have been on the fence about taking up the low D, here's your chance to get a decent one, delivered, for under 60 bucks.

That depends on what you call decent. With high air volume needed it would not be good for the majority of people on the market in my opinion. In some cases it might cause a new student to the low whistle to become very discouraged due to the high volume demand. I bought one and did not keep it long. I am glad I tried others because these are nothing but air hogs.

scottie
Dog Brain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Dog Brain »

scottie wrote: Does anyone know the air requirements on the Chieftain V3?
scottie
I just got a custom V3 low D as my Christmas whistle. Almost wish I'd waited though now that he's coming out with this new model.
The Optima sounds awesome both in tone and concept, I'm definitely gettin' one just not sure how I'm gonna fund it yet, that's why I wish I'd waited on the V3.
About the air requirements on the V3, I'd be willing to send my over your way for a couple of weeks to test drive if you'd what, just let me know if you're interested.
Dog Brain

Post by Dog Brain »

scottie wrote:The optima sounds like it will be a nice whistle, but the clip Phil has on his site does not really demo the whistle tone range at all. More piano music than anything else. I may have to see what his face book page has on it for this instrument.

scottie
This one's a little better than the first video, but it's still not a straight demonstration of what the instrument is capable of http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 9&comments
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

Dog Brain wrote:
scottie wrote:The optima sounds like it will be a nice whistle, but the clip Phil has on his site does not really demo the whistle tone range at all. More piano music than anything else. I may have to see what his face book page has on it for this instrument.

scottie
This one's a little better than the first video, but it's still not a straight demonstration of what the instrument is capable of http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 9&comments
Much better video for getting an idea of the sound of this new whistle. My first impressions are good. If the air requirement is reasonable, Phil might have a real winner on his hands with this one.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
skyspirit
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by skyspirit »

scottie wrote:
AvienMael wrote:Yep, for all those people who have been on the fence about taking up the low D, here's your chance to get a decent one, delivered, for under 60 bucks.

That depends on what you call decent. With high air volume needed it would not be good for the majority of people on the market in my opinion. In some cases it might cause a new student to the low whistle to become very discouraged due to the high volume demand. I bought one and did not keep it long. I am glad I tried others because these are nothing but air hogs.

scottie
I am confused. In the video, I am hearing that this is opposite. Is the video talking about a different whistle than the one on sale?

Thanks
Learning how to learn....my music teacher
Dog Brain

Post by Dog Brain »

skyspirit wrote:Is the video talking about a different whistle than the one on sale?

Thanks
Yes, The whistle on sale right now is the Kerry which Phil billed as his "starter" low D but is now to be discontinued after the current stock is sold off.
The whistle in the video is the new Kerry Optima which is set for release some time around the end of next month (last week in May 2011).
Last edited by Dog Brain on Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
skyspirit

Post by skyspirit »

Thank you so much. It was a bit confusing and maybe misleading a bit.
Dog Brain

Post by Dog Brain »

JTC111 wrote:
Dog Brain wrote:
Much better video for getting an idea of the sound of this new whistle. My first impressions are good. If the air requirement is reasonable, Phil might have a real winner on his hands with this one.

Ok, Phil finally gave us a good clean sound sample of the Optima today http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 0019435873 .
The whistle sounds good, but the video almost raises more questions for me than it answered.

The one big question being, that I thought the whole idea behind the Optima was to create a lower cost,
easer build, manufactured version of his hand built Kerry Pro that of coarse being based off the original Overton
(which if that 'is' what he's doing is an absolutely brilliant idea).
But in the video it almost sounds like this is just an updated and redesigned version of the plastic headed Kerry.

So what do you think, am I way off base with this(which I hope I am) or is this just plastic headed Kerry 2.0?

Because I tell ya what, I am so totally jazzed :thumbsup: about the idea of a poor mans Kerry Pro, but a Kerry 2.0 :really: not so much.

SIDE NOTE TO PHIL(cause I'm pretty sure he follows this thread):
Phil, please know that I'm not tryin' to be a wise-ass here, I just have questions, so please don't hatin' on me :swear: , cause I think you, your whistles and music are really great. :D
Last edited by Dog Brain on Tue May 03, 2011 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
wizzywig

Post by wizzywig »

Dog Brain, judging by the photo on the Kerrywhistles site in the news section, it looks like he has done what you first mentioned.
It's a Kerry Pro in plastic not a Kerry mark 2.
The sound in the new clip of the Optima also has much more tonally and looks like a dream to play compared to the old Kerry.
I agree with your comment, " an absolutely brilliant idea ".

We shall see.

The same clip is also on the kerrywhistles site, look for Kerry Optima Videoclip.
http://www.kerrywhistles.com/dl.php?group=19#

wiz
skyspirit

Post by skyspirit »

wizzywig wrote:Dog Brain, judging by the photo on the Kerrywhistles site in the news section, it looks like he has done what you first mentioned.
It's a Kerry Pro in plastic not a Kerry mark 2.
The sound in the new clip of the Optima also has much more tonally and looks like a dream to play compared to the old Kerry.
I agree with your comment, " an absolutely brilliant idea ".

We shall see.

The same clip is also on the kerrywhistles site, look for Kerry Optima Videoclip.
http://www.kerrywhistles.com/dl.php?group=19#

wiz

I listened to the clip. It does sound good. I hope that the price is reasonable. Maybe Phil will offer an introductory price. That would be nice.
:)
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

I've been interesting in giving one of these a go and now I'm kinda stoked after seeing that video. I like the tone of that whistle very much ...to my ears a sound akin to an Overton with a bit more chiff. And if the air requirement is as low as Phil says, I have a feeling I'll be picking up a couple of these before long to fill in some missing keys.

BTW, Phil sent out an email saying he was going to donate the proceeds from the sale of a Kerry Pro to the disabled veteran C&Fer who posted his whistles for sale yesterday ...a very generous gesture.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com