New Videos on how my Whistle/Flutes are made

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tyiam
antispam: No

New Videos on how my Whistle/Flutes are made

Post by tyiam »

For the last few weeks I have been working on several videos on HOW MY SILVER FIPPLE WHISTLE/ FLUTES ARE MADE. It was quite a learning experience. You can check it out at:

http://www.theflutemaker.com/tutorials.php
Whistle Free or Die
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: New Videos on how my Whistle/Flutes are made

Post by Whistle Free or Die »

Hey Tyrone,
Great video and the music in the background is a nice touch.
Thanks
Susan
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

A note for slower connections / computers: The page linked above is video-intensive (it crashed my brower). Most others should be fine.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

Took a while to watch all of those, but well worth it. I used to think wooden whistles were expensive; now I'm thinking they're a bargain for as much work as goes into them.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
AvienMael

Post by AvienMael »

JTC111 wrote:Took a while to watch all of those, but well worth it. I used to think wooden whistles were expensive; now I'm thinking they're a bargain for as much work as goes into them.

...not just wooden whistles. Examine a Burke sometime, and consider how many parts he machines to exact tolerances, from 3 different types of material, for one whistle that he sells for $190. Examine a Copeland and consider it starts from a piece of seamless, straight, instrument-grade tubing (a bit more costly than what one finds in a hobby shop or hardware store). It's a long, multi-step process just making the basic shape from the pipe, before he even starts to make the actual whistle, and he sells them for under $350.

Now stop to consider how much time and material and tooling a whistle maker puts into developing a "good" whistle (or developing whistles in different keys), and how much additional time and expense is spent on setting up a shop and developing jigs that allow them to replicate their designs with a good degree of consistency. One has to sell a lot of whistles just to break even on what they have invested - nevermind the years they have spent developing their skills and designs.

I mainly consider three things when I am trying to determine whether I think a whistle is worth the asking price. 1.) The overall whistle itself, and how it looks, plays, and sounds. 2.) The design, and the skill required to make it, and also whether I feel the design is durable, flimsy, or prone to making the whistle somewhat fickle. 3.) The quality of the actual workmanship, and the choice of materials. There is one other thing I consider, once I am satisfied on these other points, and that is how the whistle compares with others of a similar design, and what those whistles are selling for. For example, I could place an order for an O'Riordan for @$1,000, or I could buy an Abell for under $500, an Ormiston for under $400, or a Bussman for under $300, and probably not find much difference in terms of quality, or especially how each of those whistles will actually play in my hands - and be equally happy with any of them. Food for thought...
Playing, not paying.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Examine a Burke sometime, and consider how many parts he machines to exact tolerances,
They're CNC cut at his brother's factory and assembled by his workers.

In his own words:
Mike Burke wrote:I have never kept it a secret that I have help in making my whistles. No one person could produce the hundreds of whistles we produce each year. However, no one person produces anything, including myself. An intelligent division of work is the key to maximum efficiency and also to the very best quality in each instrument.
The parts for my whistles are produced by my Brother, John's company, Burke Tool Inc using the most advanced CNC equipment available. Bonni, an experienced journeyman machinist runs the machines. Burke Tool has dedicated several machines just to make our parts. Bonni loves idea of making parts for whistles and has made it a labor of love.
But in spite of the fact that we hold tolerances to half a thousanth of an inch, we custom hand fit each part together to form the whistle bodies, after the parts are given an initial polishing. This is done by my Step Father, Les Mainer an excellent mechanic, who has been a river boat engineer, auto body tech and barber his whole life. He is very good with his hands and takes a special pride in his work too. He has learned his job from me and has 4 years experience.
At this point in the process, the whistles will play, but not sound like a Burke should sound and may not be in tune in both octaves. The finished whistle bodies are now given to Steve Morris, my main apprentice. I really don't like to call Steve an apprentice any more, though, but instead a master tuner and voicer of whistles.
Steve is an accomplished musician on the guitar,which he has played for over 20 years including a number of years professionally. Steve has a wonderful ear for both tuning and tone and is an innovative thinker and very talented, mechanically. In short, he is a fine artist and with his 4 years experience tuning and voicing whistles, he should be thought of as a master whistle maker and voicer in his own right. I find that having a man of Steve's qualities working as a partner in my goal of making great whistles, we stimulate each other with new ideas on how to better voice whistles for the little things that make a big difference like dynamic ranges and transient response and tonal color. I bounce new ideas off him and have him help with some of the research, too.
Finally, I play and final voice each and every whistle that goes out before I date and sign it. Sometimes my part is very small, because Steve is just that good, and sometimes I have to spend some time on a whistle that is not quite up to our standard in some way.
Far from making our whistles less in quality, this team approach, I am sure, makes it possible for us to make not only more whistles, but to constantly improve our standards for excellence.
My brain hurts

AvienMael

Post by AvienMael »

Well that just goes a long way toward emphasizing my point. Multiple steps, multiple people involved, - employees, use of state of the art metal working machinery - and still the whistle sells for $190 (without out-sourcing to China or Taiwan, I might add). - also, what we are reading here is Michael's current method of production. - and of course, there is the basic design of his whistles (which as many of us know, has changed over the years) - which he takes most of the credit for in what you have posted.

Current method of production does not belittle how the Burke whistle came to be or continues to be - and as with Phil Hardy and the Chieftain/Kerrywhistles lines, or Stacey O'Gorman and Alba Whistles - the makers continue to develop and evolve their designs themselves, whether they are currently in mass-production or not.

Your argument is, as far as I am concerned, denied. :)
Playing, not paying.
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

I've never worked with metal but I've worked with wood quite a bit. Maybe someone who has done both in some capacity approaching the precision it takes to make a whistle can chime in on this, but I have to think that working with wood requires more patience and delicacy because the medium is less stable, will crack more often, will warp, will chip, etc.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
AvienMael

Post by AvienMael »

Actually, I have, and I do. In answer to your question, it depends on the wood. Much also depends on the tools you have at your disposal, and the condition they are in... and then of course, there is your proficiency at using them. But yes, sometimes the unforseen does happen too, and other times we can "push the envelope" with disasterous results. Overall, wood is very nice to work with - especially very hard wood, because it machines easily (much like plastic) and it creates less wear on tools than most other materials. It's also safer to work with (dust should be a concern when machining any material). Wood is easier to finish and can be more forgiving at the end of the process, but a little less forgiving at the beginning.

In all, it isn't that much different than working with metal or plastic, yet it is different. Overall, the steps are basically the same.
Playing, not paying.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Your argument is, as far as I am concerned, denied.
Was there even an argument? I posted a factual statement and a quote from the post that originally supplied the information.

You're not in a position to reject those.
My brain hurts

AvienMael

Post by AvienMael »

Hmmm... I don't believe I did reject the statement (?)

I did however, decide to purchase one of Tyrone's whistles. I look forward to giving it a try - hopefully by the end of this week.
Playing, not paying.
maki

Post by maki »

Thanks for the videos and education Tyiam.
Are there any independent reviews of how your whistles play?
Without a doubt, they are gorgeous.

Those travel whistles especially seem to be great bargains.
That looks like a wood whistle that even I could afford.
Again, any reviews? Is a postal whistle tour in the future?
tyiam

Post by tyiam »

Hi Maki,

Thanks for the accolades...

I have been approached to do a whistle tour/ review and have decided that what is important is whether “you“ are happy with all aspects of the whistle.

I have had allot of positive feedback and only three people who were disappointed and they were given a full refund.

I strongly believe that anyone who pays $45.+ for a whistle and they are not happy with it, they should immediately send it back for a full refund.

When I send out a whistle/ flute, I have done my best and they are have slowly evolved over the years. Example is a “New Beak Shape Mouthpiece” on Whistle # 110A - Bolivian Rosewood flute.

The Travel Whistle/ Flute is my attempt to make an inexpensive whistle for the beginner or one
that could be taken along on hikes. It has brass fipple and end cap and is relatively easy to make.

-Ty
maki

Post by maki »

tyiam wrote:

I strongly believe that anyone who pays $45.+ for a whistle and they are not happy with it, they should immediately send it back for a full refund.

When I send out a whistle/ flute, I have done my best and they are have slowly evolved over the years. Example is a “New Beak Shape Mouthpiece” on Whistle # 110A - Bolivian Rosewood flute.

The Travel Whistle/ Flute is my attempt to make an inexpensive whistle for the beginner or one
that could be taken along on hikes. It has brass fipple and end cap and is relatively easy to make.

-Ty

That's more than fair....
Still, as a beginner, I sooooo enjoy reading the informed opinion of experts.
Call it vicarious living.
No whistle is going to satisfy every taste, this little I've learned. :D

By the way, I've really enjoyed reading your thread, 'The Flute Maker - My activities in making Pennywhistles.'
tyiam

Post by tyiam »

Hi Maki,

Well I have to say that “AvienMael” has it right. The following flute makers set a very high bar and you will have a hard time finding a better whistle. I know because I own some of them and they are outstanding.

“AvienMael
For example, I could place an order for an O'Riordan for @$1,000, or I could buy an Abell for under $500, an Ormiston for under $400, or a Bussman for under $300, and probably not find much difference in terms of quality, or especially how each of those whistles will actually play in my hands - and be equally happy with any of them. Food for thought...”

One time I started a thread: “ New Abell whistle... Its a work of art.”
Just received the Abell Whistle - African Blackwood with sterling silver Standard (Key of D) today. It is truly an outstanding whistle... The very best out there in whistle land. A new standard for excellence. Something to work towards in my flute making venture. Excellent craftsmanship and sweet sound... Thanks, Chris.”
I was surprised to see that there were people out there that disagreed with me.

I love doing what I am doing and right now am running about 100 to 1 in the positive feedback. I am not in any competition but if I were (in that the above flute makers do not make a $75. whistle) I would say that my $75. whistle is superior to any of the above flute makers... Ha... That makes sense it you do not think about it.

The truth is that we all enjoy having someone say something positive about our work and are often upset when someone doesn't like it... But I think there is something to learn from the people who do not like what your are doing. It sometimes make you pay more attention to detail or buy that next large piece of equipment to do that little job that needs to be perfect.

I have had some serious whistle collectors who have purchased my flutes and positive feed back from several professionals but the one I enjoy is Jay B. from Confluence, PA: http://www.theflutemaker.com/video.php

The bottom line is do you really “enjoy playing” the whistle... If so, that is all that is important.