Went down to the basement and came back with a new whistle..

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Sedi
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Went down to the basement and came back with a new whistle..

Post by Sedi »

Went down to the basement to change the screw on one of my prototype whistles (at the moment, the plan to ever sell any, is put on hold for various reasons) so I made a new one. Trying to make some design changes after some feedback that Nathaniel (aka Angelicbeaver) gave me. He said that my whistles need a stronger "core". So instead of going for nice and quiet, I tried to make it as loud as possible. Made the windway larger and the holes. I also went back to an aluminium fipple plug. Turned out nicely. But I'm gonna upload a video, maybe tomorrow.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Went down to the basement and came back with a new whist

Post by Nanohedron »

Sedi wrote:Image
OMG, look! Toilet paper! Better hide that right quick, Sedi. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

:D yes, that actually was a problem at the beginning of the pandemic. I use a lot of it in the workshop. But what's an even bigger problem is that I can't get a new filter for my mask. I use one of the big ones you can use to paint cars and stuff. And the filters are sold out for months now. Which is stupid because these masks have a valve that let's out the air when exhaling. So not good for covid. Only good to filter out all that aluminium dust.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Seeing these square whistles reminds me of these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9LBckOHeYs

I once saw a photo of a guy playing a square bassoon, it was made out of sheet wood, plywood or something.

I just googled and couldn't find it.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

There are the square recorders: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5EpAGnhvqI

(I know nothing about Game of Thrones or what I assume is its theme song, but this was a good video showcasing all square recorders.)
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Yup, they are cool. I think I first saw them at a local music shop (thomann) and later in some videos from Sarah Jeffery. They have been developed in the '70s, I think, as a cheaper alternative to the more expensive traditional round bass recorders.
Edit: you should watch Game of Thrones ;).
Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

A few more pics in the morning sun.
TxWhistler
Tell us something.: I have recently retired and have always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument. I'm leaning to play the whistle and now the flute.

Post by TxWhistler »

Congratulations Sedi! Very nice whistle.

I thought I had seen Nathaniel playing a square whistle earlier and went back and found it. The version you sent him really sounds nice!!!

I know with this most recent version you are going for a stronger or bolder sound but please keep in mind there is a market for the nice and quiet ones too! Lots of people living close to one another in apartments and condos that would need a quiet whistle.

Best wished for success with your whistles!!!!

Here is a link to Nathaniel's video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1vULWCVe2k
Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Thanks! Yes, I send Nathaniel one of the more quiet ones as he often thinks the "B" in the second octave is too loud. That is definitely the case with the one I built yesterday. But for now my plans to sell any are shelved due to covid. Maybe some day in the future. Until then I try to redefine the design. I experimented with wooden plugs I cooked in linseed-oil for instance. But that was a failure. It doesn't polymerize completely and then gets smelly after a few months. Glad I never sold any of those. So now I returned to aluminium. I like the idea that it's completely made from the same material (except the screw that holds everything together).
psoutowood
Tell us something.: I am a longtime piper, and have added in the few years a bunch of Irish whistles and smallpipes to my collection. Looking for new instruments and like-minded people!

Post by psoutowood »

Katharine wrote:There are the square recorders: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5EpAGnhvqI

(I know nothing about Game of Thrones or what I assume is its theme song, but this was a good video showcasing all square recorders.)
Those are some crazy instruments! The flat panel "keys" threw me off until I realized the black circles were just key pads and the hole openings must've been hidden up or down the tube somewhere under those panels. Odd to not use rods like most keyed instruments but it fits with the whole carpentry look of the instrument. Unuless I'd seen the video I would've guessed the sound was all synthesizer!

-Peter
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

still a really cool idea! Sounds great in the video! love what you're doing
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

pancelticpiper wrote:Seeing these square whistles reminds me of these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9LBckOHeYs

I once saw a photo of a guy playing a square bassoon, it was made out of sheet wood, plywood or something. I just googled and couldn't find it.
Giles Brindley and the logical bassoon.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/the-logic ... on/zjnpwty
Some more info on Giles. A true humanitarian!
https://alchetron.com/Giles-Brindley

Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

PB+J wrote:still a really cool idea! Sounds great in the video! love what you're doing
Thanks :). This one has a stronger and louder sound than the one I sent Nathaniel. And I improved the construction, especially the windway cover is a much better fit now. Still didn't find the time to make a video with this one, but I'll get to it soon.

The logical bassoon is cool!
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

That "logical bassoon" is really cool but that's not the photo I saw.

The one I saw was just an ordinary bassoon layout, as best I could see, but it was made from sheet lumber glued to a square cross-section. I think it might have had Boehm style keywork.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

TxWhistler wrote:Congratulations Sedi! Very nice whistle.

I thought I had seen Nathaniel playing a square whistle earlier and went back and found it. The version you sent him really sounds nice!!!
Here is a link to Nathaniel's video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1vULWCVe2k
Congrats, Sedi, on the square whistle tone and playability! Very very nice work!

Having Nathaniel play it alongside a McManus establishes a high standard of comparison and really shows the square whistle as having appealing tone with a lot of clarity, character and control. It's probably going to contribute to the expansion of WOAD symptoms this website induces once you put a coffee maker in your basement and offer those rascals for sale.