Wanted: Jessie's old Copeland Nickel C

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Wanted: Jessie's old Copeland Nickel C

Post by Loren »

Longshot here I know, but worth a try:

Several years ago JessieK (D) sold her nickel Copeland C whistle. I am looking for the buyer/current owner. If you are out there and see this message, I would greatly appreciate it if you would contact me via email.

Thanks much!

Loren
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Re: Wanted: Jessie's old Copeland Nickel C

Post by hans »

You really think the owner would reveal herself to someone flying the Jolly Roger? :lol:

I am dead curious to know why you are hunting JessieK's old whistle?
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

hans wrote: I am dead curious to know why you are hunting JessieK's old whistle?
This mythical whistle is reputed to be the best whistle ever to appear on the face of the Earth. According to legend, it appeared one day embedded in a boulder in the town square of Conshohocken Pennsylvania.
Whistle players from around the world arrived to try to remove the whistle from the stone, but it stubbornly resisted their efforts until one day Jessie K arrived and simply slipped the whistle out of the rock. Or so the legend goes...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

hans wrote:You really think the owner would reveal herself to someone flying the Jolly Roger? :lol:

I am dead curious to know why you are hunting JessieK's old whistle?
:lol: What can I say? I am descendant in the family bloodline of the famous Privateer Sir Francis Drake! (on my mother's side)

As for the whistle in question: I am the original owner. I bought I directly from Michael Copeland, and later sold it to my dear friend Jessie when I was going through a tough time financially. She kindly offered to sell the whistle back to me before she put it back on the open market, however I couldn't spare the money at the time.

The whistle meant a lot to me: It was one of my very favorite whistles to play and, for a variety of reasons that I won't go into, it has a lot of sentimental value to me. So, I would love to have that particular whistle back some day, and I currently find myself with the financial means to perhaps make that happen, should the current owner to see this thread and consider selling.

Not that it's really anyone else's business :P but there you go.

Loren
Last edited by Loren on Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny

Post by Denny »

:D :lol: :thumbsup:
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Good stuff there Paul! You know, I actually used to live in Conshohocken, no kidding.

Hey, I am about ready for that shop visit if you're still up for it. Let me know if/when you might have the time and I will figure out transportation and make my way up there for a visit. We can swap stories about GS and VH. Man I am still kicking myself for not taking the G man up on his offer to visit and learn from him. Glad you did.

Loren
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Maybe the beginning of the year, Loren. We no longer have a guest room, it being temporarily taken up with daughter and soon to return (hopefully) son in law. Oh, and they have a wee babe in the works, due late Jan. Come to think of it, a visit might better wait until Spring, if that's OK. Travel is more dependable then anyway.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

No worries Paul, we'll catch up one of these years, :lol:

Loren
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

I am still searching for this particular whistle, I know it's out there. If you are the owner or if you know the person, I would be very grateful if you would contact me. Thanks much.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Loren, I assume you've spoken with Jessie and tracked the whistle as far as it can be tracked?

I'm the 5th or 6th owner of my Copeland D, and I was able to trace it all the way back to Michael's original invoice.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Yes, I tried that first a few years back. It had been a while since Jessie sold the whistle and the sale happened at a time when she was selling off a lot of instruments, so while she was fairly certain she remembered what part of the world the whistle went to, she couldn't specifically remember the seller or their contact info. Not surprising considering the circumstances and time that had passed. Obviously a bit of a long shot with this post, but the whistle world is small enough that it's worth a try :)
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

In the event it has moved on from whomever your friend sold it to, a serial number might be your best bet if you have one.
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

If memory serves me correctly this whistle had no serial number. This is backed up by the fact that Jessie stated in her ad for the whistle that it had no markings other than the standard Copeland stamp, and I believe the key.

I do know that it was sold in mid-April of 2008, possibly to someone in Asia. I doubt it's been re-sold considering the price, although it's possible. More likely it would have been traded if it changed hands, but my guess is that the person who bought it from Jessie still has it. If you're out there, even if you don't want to part with the whistle, I'd be much obliged if you'd contact me so I can at least put my search to and end. Thanks!

Loren
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

Hi Loren. Just curious. I always had a lot of problems with Copeland C whistles until I got one in a trade from a board member. It's nickel silver and early enough to have both no number and no signature Copeland raised walls around the windway, probably circa 1992 or so. Generally, newer Copelands lower than high D have the walls. I assume the one you seek is without the walls as well as without number and is brass? This C is wonderful (if not magical) and a great deal better than some truly horrid C whictles I'd tried, at one time a weak link in the otherwise Copeland magic. Hope all is well.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Phil! Hey man, hope all is well in your world!

Actually, I believe this one did have the walls. Not certain when it was made as I don't remember the exact date I bought it from Michael, but I did buy it new, and it would have been late 90's to early 2000's. I do know it was made before they made a switch in their manufacturing process to gear up for more quantity though, but that's all I remember. Yours sounds like a nice one indeed. I've heard good things about some of the early 90's Copelands.

Someone did contact me back when I originally started this thread to tell me they might have had, and then passed on the C whistle I am looking for - said they sold it to Doc Jones at the Irish Flute store. I contacted him but couldn't track it down as he couldn't remember who he sold it to as I recall. Still, I don't think this was actually the other C Copeland whistle that Jesssie had and sold. Confusing because she had 2 nickel C's that were very good at the same time, however the one I am looking for sold for considerably more and I didn't get the impression that the person who contacted me, or Doc Jones, paid that much, because it was a lot of money indeed. Plus, like I said, Jessie seemed to remember it going to someone overseas. So, the mystery remains.......