swallow reflex control

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
EricJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

swallow reflex control

Post by EricJ »

any tips on suppressing the swallow reflex? For me it isn't related to stress, I get it when I practice and perform. I can last about 15-20 seconds then the swallow is involuntary.

I tried searching onthe terms swallow and reflex but couldn't find anything.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: swallow reflex control

Post by MTGuru »

Hi Eric, welcome!

My guess is that your swallow reflex is the result of excessive saliva production. And the saliva problem is the result of ... evolution. :-) When you stick something in your mouth, your brain says "food". Even if that something is a whistle (or other instrument) mouthpiece.

Many new players experience this, and the problem gets better over time - your brain learns to tell the difference. It certainly helps to not think about food and not be around cooking aromas. And, if possible, not eat or drink within, say 10 or 15 minutes before playing. Easier said than done when you're guzzling Guinness and scarfing down curry chips between session sets.

Don't know what whistle you play ... But here's a suggestion. Some beginning whistlers tend to take too much of the mouthpiece into the mouth anyway. Instead, try resting the tip of the whistle against the outside of your closed lips, then take in only a few millimeters of the tip. That's enough for both a clear air pathway and physical support, and may help to defeat the food reflex.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Clarinetcat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Clarinetcat »

MTGuru wrote:It certainly helps to not think about food and not be around cooking aromas. And, if possible, not eat or drink within, say 10 or 15 minutes before playing.
I would take this one step further and say absolutely no food or drink for at least an HOUR before playing, and certainly none while playing.

I know performers (myself included) who will not eat for several hours prior to a performance... not only to reduce saliva production, but also to reduce any abdominal pressure (full stomach/digestion) placed on the diaphragm for better breathing control.

EricJ, I also did a GOOGLE and was surprised there was nothing on any musician forums related to this topic, so lets see if this helps you at all...

Like anything else, you can practice not swallowing. I just made up an exercise for you to try: While breathing through the nose, keep the mouth closed, tongue pressed firmly against the roof of the mouth and pushed back as far as you can, see if you can consciously prevent the muscle reflex for swallowing. I've tried this exercise while typing this, and I'm going on well over 5 minutes now, so it is certainly possible to do.

Saliva will slowly build up under the tongue, just don't swallow. ;)
(I managed to go about 8 minutes)
Time is a great teacher.
Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.

- Hector Berlioz
swizzlestick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by swizzlestick »

I was going to throw in my 2 cents, but then I read the MTGuru post. That was a remarkably concise and comprehensive reply -- I can't really think of anything that useful to add. But that certainly won't stop me. :-)

Eric, maybe I can offer some encouragement. I had a big problem with clogging when I first starting playing whistle and some of it was certainly too much saliva. But as MTGuru explained, something suddenly clicked in my brain and whistles stopped being food items. My whistles still clog, but far less frequently.

Clarinetcat, I'm sure you are right about avoiding food and drink, but that isn't very practical in a pub session or around a campfire. One reason I like to soak and clean mouthpieces occasionally.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Why not just swallow when you need to? Just like taking breaths, there are ways to find places to do it within a tune.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I wouldn't advise finding "swallow spots" in a tune. Kinda hard to find a place to swallow in dance music. You have to recover from the swallow contraction before more air can be had through the windpipe and this just doesn't happen as quickly as drawing in a breath of air. It can be hard enough for a newbie to find the space for a quick breath intake without adding the swallow and recover time before or after it in a tune. I think MT's post will get you further along than trying to find swallow spaces in a tune.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Straycat's right, there's just not enough time. A swallow takes 2-3 seconds at best, and that's 2-3 measures at 120 bpm. Too big a gap.

Of course, "accidents" happen even to experienced players. Especially in sessions, sometimes I'm hit with a slobber attack. :-) The whistle tip starts sliding around on your lips, and you start blowing spit into the whistle. There's not much to do except drop out of the tune for a bit then come back.

Interestingly, the well-known nervous dry mouth phenomenon that plagues public speakers can work to your advantage when you're a public player ...
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

I was thinking about this yesterday. I think what
you need to use is a reverse-Pavlov technique.
When ever you deny yourself some food, you
should ring a bell. Eventually, you will associate
a bell's ring with not salivating. Eventually you
can ring a bell before playing the whistle and
you'll be dry as a hound's tooth.

If food denial doesn't make your mouth dry up,
you may have to resort to anti-food. I'm thinking
Twinkies.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Sure, or maybe just really tie one on the day before you plan to play.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

fearfaoin wrote:If food denial doesn't make your mouth dry up,
you may have to resort to anti-food. I'm thinking
Twinkies.
Anti-food? Twinkies? It's more like Antimatter for the stomach.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D