Low whistle advice?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
HDSarah
antispam: No

Low whistle advice?

Post by HDSarah »

How many of you play a low F? Can you describe the grip you use?

So far the lowest key of whistle I've played is an A, which I can play with ordinary grip (covering the holes using the pads of the fingers). I am now eagerly awaiting my first low whistle, an F. I haven't ever tried a low F so this will be new for me; I'm assuming that I'll have to learn a modified grip due to the larger spacing between holes on the low F whistle.

Any advice, anyone? Are there common pitfalls I need to avoid -- something that's going to hurt me or prevent me from playing well down the line? I won't be able to try your advice out for a few days, but I'd like to be prepared when my new whistle arrives.
ICE JAM: "dam" good music that won't leave you cold. Check out our CD at http://cdbaby.com/cd/icejam
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Low whistle advice?

Post by MTGuru »

HDSarah wrote:How many of you play a low F? Can you describe the grip you use?
Standard grip on the top hand, piper's grip (joint-joint-pad) on the bottom hand.

Practice that on your A whistle, and you'll be all prepared. Have fun! :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

HDSarah wrote:How many of you play a low F? Can you describe the grip you use?
I play flat-fingered, piper's grip on both hands. I use the piper's grip on keys from low A and lower. It's just comfortable and convenient. It just takes some practice to get the feel for covering the holes with a different part of your finger but things fall into place soon enough. Enjoy the low F.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

I use the piper's grip with my right hand on all my whistles—from high D to low D including a lovely Burke aluminum low F my family got me last Christmas.

I like the low F; nice mellow sound doesn't set the dogs (or family) off with high notes and is a comfortable fit for my hands.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
dspmusik
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dspmusik »

^^ Steve, you're saying your dog likes the mellow sound of the low whistle? so when you are playing your Burke, you actually have a mellow dog?
mind=blown :boggle:
"By this we know we have passed from death to life: that we love our brothers."
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Harper (see photo on left) feels that the Geneva Convention should apply against any whistle above A played in the upper portions of the second register (with the exception being that he doesn't tolerate any Susato whistle well). Other than that, he is a very Mellow Dog... :thumbsup:

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Clarinetcat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Clarinetcat »

This was most helpful to me when I first tackled the challenge of learning the "pipers grip" on a low D whistle. I struggled with straight fingers until I read this:

http://www.chiffandfipple.com/pipers.html

...middle joint for holes 1, 2, 4, and 5 (covered by the index and middle fingers of both hands), and the pad of the first joint of the ring fingers to cover 3 and 6.

So, try anchoring the tip (pad) of the ring fingers on both hands on holes 3 and 6, and let the other fingers fall into place. :D
Time is a great teacher.
Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.

- Hector Berlioz
cboody

Post by cboody »

Not much I can add here except to say that I use piper grip on the lower (in my case right) hand only even on a low D whistle. The clarinetcat comment just above does a nice job of describing the grip. It is not always a comfortable way to play when you start to use it, and I still have difficulties with getting good coverage with the low D instruments. But it does work, and though I can reach the other way I think the piper grip is the way for me to go in the long run. Better control and quicker fingering.

Nice to see you over here too Sarah. Hope to make Spring Fling this year.
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

I'm with Feadoggie on this one,

A and lower get the full piper's grip. Sometimes even on a Bb. Once you get used to it, it is a much more agile position than playing with tips that low.

C and up, I use tips becuase of my hands' size, but your mileage may vary.
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.