Looking for Low D whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
scottie
antispam: No

Looking for Low D whistle

Post by scottie »

Looking for a Low D whistle that would be good for a beginner. I tried a Kerry model a few years ago but it took so much air to blow it was not comfortable to play. It had the big black plastic mouthpiece and aluminum body. Looking for advice as well as any location in the U.S. that sells the Tony Dixon whistles or if I decide on one of these will I have to order from his web site?
Thanks,
Scottie
JTC111

Re: Looking for Low D whistle

Post by JTC111 »

We just had a thread devoted to this same topic...
Low D that takes less air?
Jim

I wish I were a Lord Mayor, a Marquis or an Earl
And blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl
Blow me if I wouldn't marry old Brown's girl

http://www.jimcaputo.com
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

scottie wrote: Looking for advice as well as any location in the U.S. that sells the Tony Dixon whistles or if I decide on one of these will I have to order from his web site?
The Dixon low D is available from several retailers in the US and Canada.
http://www.harpanddragon.com/lowwhistles.htm
http://www.hmtrad.com/catalog/winds/dixon.html
http://www.whistleanddrum.com/tony-dixo ... h-whistles
http://www.heritage-music.net/servlet/t ... le,/Detail

The last link is for a retailer in British Columbia. There are probably other retailers selling the Dixon. The Dixon is IMO a good choice as a low D for a beginner. The stretch is modest, the air requirements are modest and the price is usually fair. I've owned a few of them myself. I can't compare the breath requirements between the newest Kerry and the Dixon but if your Kerry was a few years old then it was likely an older Kerry. I don't think the air requirements on the older Kerry were radically different from the Dixons. If air usage is a major concern you might want to go for a Goldie.

Feadoggei
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Kem

Post by Kem »

I second the recommendation of Heritage Music in BC. The people who run this store are prompt, efficient, and attentive, and their communication is excellent. They also have an eBay store that often offers deals--and the occasional auction starting at about a buck per instrument--relatively frequently. The eBay store also provides free shipping anywhere in the world for many products, including most of the whistles. Unfortunately, the eBay store is currently running low on Dixons (I understand the shipments often end up mired in Customs for a month or so), but it usually has an excellent selection. There IS a polymer low D available right now. The eBay store can be found here.

(I am not a shill. I simply become excessively pleased whenever I find a good way to buy musical instruments in Canada.)
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

Feadoggie wrote: I can't compare the breath requirements between the newest Kerry and the Dixon but if your Kerry was a few years old then it was likely an older Kerry. I don't think the air requirements on the older Kerry were radically different from the Dixons. If air usage is a major concern you might want to go for a Goldie.
Just FYI... As has been discussed here recently and supported by at least a couple of people that have one, the new Kerry low D is a bit of an air hog. Although, if I find some way to run an air compressor hose through the back of my neck, I may change my opinion.
Jim

Porridge Face

Post by Porridge Face »

I also would like to say that Heritage Music is a great store! They are very fast, friendly and really nice people. I've purchased several whistles from them.
Porridge Face

Michael Burke D Brass Session
Tony Dixon Low F
ubizmo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ubizmo »

I'm one of the people who also found the new Kerry to be tremendously windsucking, particularly in the 2nd octave. It had a very smooth sound, though.

Since then, I've tried a few more low Ds and haven't yet found my soul mate. I have a Dixon aluminum, which is very good, but a bit too fragile in the low octave. I like to push a whistle a little more than the Dixon will tolerate. I have a Howard, with the older head. I've ordered the newer head. The Howard is actually very similar to the Kerry in timbre, especially in the first octave, but has more back pressure, which makes it more playable, in my estimation, in the 2nd octave. The top few notes, however, are shy and it takes quite a bit of air to get them out--noticeably more than in the rest of the 2nd octave. It's said that the new Howard head fixes this, without upsetting the other virtues of the whistle. I'll know soon. The Howard also has the largest stretch between the B5 and B6 holes of any low D whistle I've tried yet. I got used to it quickly enough, but someone else might not.

I also have a Chieftain V3 low D, which is discussed in another thread. It has quite a lot of back pressure, and a soft breathy sound. The top end of the 2nd octave is a struggle, so much so that I sent it back to Phil Hardy to have a look (after contemplating some, ahem, modifications). I haven't received it back from him yet, but I'll report in when I do.

The Guido Gonzato Low Tech PVC low D is worth a look. I have one of his alto G whistles, and it's outstanding. I don't yet have a Low Tech low D, but reviews here have been pretty positive. His design and materials may be simple, but make no mistake, these are instruments handcrafted with great care. He knows what he's doing.

Ubizmo
scottie

Post by scottie »

Thanks to all of you for all the information. I am glad I was not the only one that thought the Kerry Low D was an air hog. I was beginning to wonder if it was just my lungs. Thanks for the music company links. I also found the Heritage Company and was impressed.
bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by bogman »

One of the best, probably the best whistle you can buy is available at a bargain price on another thread. A Colin Goldie low D viewtopic.php?f=35&t=78125
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

bogman wrote:One of the best, probably the best whistle you can buy is available at a bargain price on another thread. A Colin Goldie low D viewtopic.php?f=35&t=78125
I have a couple of Goldie "Overton" whistles, a low C and a low Eb. Tone wise, they're beautiful and the air requirement is very reasonable compared to New Kerry low D, the bane of my low whistle collection. My only knock is that the Overtons seem to gather quite a bit of moisture and I'm constantly blowing out the heads ...but I'm not sure if this is my issue or simply a result of the design.
Jim

bogman

Post by bogman »

That topic keeps coming up JTC. Overtons/Goldies need a bit of technique but never clog when you get used to them. Here's a previous thread on the issue, viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66070
JTC111

Post by JTC111 »

bogman wrote:That topic keeps coming up JTC. Overtons/Goldies need a bit of technique but never clog when you get used to them. Here's a previous thread on the issue, viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66070
Thanks much for that link. Being pretty new here still, I hadn't seen that before. :thumbsup:
Jim

Spoonmeat

Post by Spoonmeat »

bogman wrote:One of the best, probably the best whistle you can buy is available at a bargain price on another thread. A Colin Goldie low D viewtopic.php?f=35&t=78125

Thanks for promoting my post Bogman, I've already sent Scottie a PM regarding the Goldie

However he didn't have the courtesy to respond

Possibly the prospect of buying a serious whistle sent him into shock
DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

Spoonmeat wrote:Possibly the prospect of buying a serious whistle sent him into shock[/b]
Or he does not know to look at the 'new messages' field to know he has a PM.
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Spoonmeat

Post by Spoonmeat »

DrPhill wrote:
Spoonmeat wrote:Possibly the prospect of buying a serious whistle sent him into shock
Or he does not know to look at the 'new messages' field to know he has a PM.
Ah DrPhill the only man I know who can make a £300.00 whistle sound like a Susato

Message is no longer in my 'Outbox'

Ergo it's been read

Okay?