Hello for test!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Chino
antispam: No

Hello for test!

Post by Chino »

Hello,

I'm a french low-whistle player, and it's my first post on this great forum.

Actually (and surpringsly!) I don't play Irish music or even "celtic" music at all: I played a bit when I begun (15 years ago), but I play Blues, Funk and improvised music. Well, I try to! :D

I listen to blues, blues-rock, soul, funk, rock, jazz, traditional music (especially indian and pakistanian music, west african music and flamenco) and classical occidental music. I I rarely listen to "celtic" music now, but I listen sometimes breton music (I live in Britanny), and in irish music, I love Paddy Keenan.

So why did I choose to play whistle? Because when I've begun, I was a poor student without money, so the only instrument I could buy was a brass Generation D whistle. Then, I bought a Bb one, and I bought afterwards an Howard Low D etc etc etc. But I'm very bad ITM player! :oops:

Now, I've got several low-whistles: 7 Overton made by Colin Goldie (from A to Bariton Bb), a Brass Low D made by Michael Copeland, a Pat O'Riordan Low G and a Low G Susato.

This forum is very interesting, thanks for all the fantastic work.

All the best,

Francois
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Hello for test!

Post by mutepointe »

Welcome. I don't play irish or celtic or any kind of that stuff either. Well, I did accidently play Danny Boy once. I just like the sounds of the instruments. And the instruments are a heck of a lot cheaper. That's for sure.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
pipersgrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

Welcome to the madhouse Francois. It looks like you are in the boat that a lot of us are in. I hope you enjoy your new home.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Chino

Post by Chino »

Thanks for your kind words. And excuse me in advance for my bad english, I'm french you know! :D

I've begun to play whistle because of the cheap price, but actually, it's not so cheap when you begin to buy some Overton's, Copeland's or O'Riordan's! :o

And if someone want to sell a Copeland or O'Riordan Low Eb ou low G, I'm interested! :wink:
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Welcome, Francois! Actually, I thought your English
was quite good. It's certainly better than my French!

I'm curious about this classical Occidental music you
mentioned. Could you give me an example? I'd like to
hear some of that.
Chino

Post by Chino »

fearfaoin wrote:Welcome, Francois! Actually, I thought your English
was quite good. It's certainly better than my French!.
Fortunately, you don't hear me speaking english, Ithink my accent is a mix between indian accent and parisian accent! :lol:
fearfaoin wrote:I'm curious about this classical Occidental music you
mentioned. Could you give me an example? I'd like to
hear some of that.
Well, by "classical Occidental music" I meant I listened to Bach, Mozart, Stravinsky etc. as well. I wrote "occidental", because there's classical indian music for example (that I love too!). :wink:
R Small
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by R Small »

I'd like to hear some Indian classical music played on whistles. Ragas. I've heard a little shenai music. Shenai is sort of an Indian oboe.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Chino wrote:Well, by "classical Occidental music" I meant I listened to Bach, Mozart, Stravinsky etc. as well. I wrote "occidental", because there's classical indian music for example (that I love too!). :wink:
Oops, you're right. My brain saw that and thought "Occitan".