Wooden whistle most like NB Burke?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Thomaston
antispam: No

Wooden whistle most like NB Burke?

Post by Thomaston »

Title says it all...
Which makers of wooden whistles makes a whistle that is most similar to a narrow-bore Burke, not only in pureness of tone but also in playing characteristics?
Feadoggie

Re: Wooden whistle most like NB Burke?

Post by Feadoggie »

Thomaston wrote:Which makers of wooden whistles makes a whistle that is most similar to a narrow-bore Burke, not only in pureness of tone but also in playing characteristics?
In my experience, it doesn't exist (yet). Especially if you are considering Burke playing characteristics, IMO. The closest you will come is the composite Burke NB. I have NB Burke D's in all three materials. They are all good whistles. While not solid wood, the composite tube is made from wood fibers and resin. It weighs almost nothing and plays like the other Burkes. The sound is a bit more mellow than te metal Burkes, some would say more woody.

Feadoggie.
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Thanks for the response. I'm actually very happy with my Mellow Dog, but on a more superficial level I like the aesthetics of the wood whistles in the Schultz style (Busman, Rose, Oz, etc). And since I've found the narrow bore Burkes to be the best playing whistles I've ever found, and was hoping something existed that combined that with the aesthetics I like.
Perhaps it's not to be. I used to have a Busman that I mostly liked, but it needed more push than I was comfortable with. Being a better player now (and a couple more years removed from being a smoker) it may be worth revisiting.
tucson_whistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tucson_whistler »

if you're really, really after a wood whistle i can recommend the Rose... i think people on this board don't like them so much, i sold mine, b/c it doesn't have any noticeable chiff--it's a really pure sounding whistle. so if that's what you're after, it's one of the easiest to play whistles i ever owned, easy to go up through both octaves and sounds great--a lot like the composite burke i used to own (and then traded :).

aesthetics-wise, i think you might find them pretty similar as well... it also has a sort of flair in the barrel up towards the fipple end similar to a burke. (rounded off instead of sharp, but i guess for the same purpose?)

i got mine on ebay for about $175 it think, there was just one up that didn't sell at $250. new, they're quite expensive and i heard there's a long wait list...

http://www.fredrose.co.uk/

i'd trade you one for a busman, but i already traded mine, and it sounds like you already did yours too. :) oh well, maybe next time. :)

good luck,
eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Ehh??!!
are you stupid??

Ask one!! all h links are here??

What u stupid damn consumin' irriot!!

U dont' own it .. U don' ask and we will get you to pay a zillion times over till you stop bein such a stooopid irriot .

What? dod yo black boy die and you can't no longer type yer ppioter in gooogle??

You never logged oon here before??

.. hey .. my friend .. My lerveleee frien :) :) ;)

I go this abvsolooooootleeeee leeervely whustule fer yooooo!!!!!

It's soo nice it's wot U been lookin all your life!!!

To get it - just email here stick@ozwhistles.com and I will sell it to you - it's worth a thousand English punds, but, today I'm reday to Deeeeelll!!!

Call me - email me - I guarantee you will be haaaarpeeeyyy!

Call now!! And meet our lurvely sales-girsl They will offwer you the EXCLUSIVE benefits of eh first hundred callers!
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Stick wrote:Ehh??!!
are you stupid?? ....
Well that was different — and a bit awkward.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Hmmm, yeah. Mitch, you might want to check in on Stick. :-?

I'm not sure they're still being made, but the Sweetheart "Mellow-Pro" fits that bill. I have one in Dymondwood, and it's a wonderful whistle.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Mr.Nate
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mr.Nate »

Thomaston,

Definitely borrow a Rose from someone before you buy one. Highly overrated.
Just a little history.My first high end whistle was a Burke session brass before he came out with the "black tip". It is not quite as refined as the newer ones and has a little more air in the sound which I like. It sort of reminded me of a more well behaved verson of a Copeland. I had always yearned for a Burke brass narrow bore because just like you there are a lot of people out there who like them. I was lucky enough to find one used on the board for 120$ and decided I just couldn't waite any longer to own one. Anyway, a little more backpressure than the session, a little more pure and easier to handle in the second octave. Not quite as full in the low octave as the session. I didn't really love it tho so when my ex wife asked if I had a Burke she could have as a going away present I gave her the narrow bore. It was sort of bland anyway....John Sindt makes a much better narrow bore! Enough of this snobbery..on to the question!!!

Ok, and now finally to answer your question. The closest wood whistle to a narrow bore burke is an Anderson!
http://www.andersonspennywhistles.com/401.html
I played one on a tour a few years ago. I liked the whistle but I thought that it was a little expensive for someone who was just starting out and I thought that he could open it up just a little without changing the character of the whistle.
It has the sweetest second octave that I have ever played and I really wouldn't mind owning one. Maybe I will contact him and see what is asking price is these days!
Oops! One just sold a month ago for 140$ viewtopic.php?f=36&t=74490&p=957273&hil ... on#p957273

Cheers!
Nate
Whistling in the Rockies!!
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

You know, I had completely forgot about the Anderson whistles. I also had one for a few days on a tour, and remember liking it well. I can't believe that slipped my mind, but then again I don't recall seeing much from him around here lately. I need to look into that...
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Thomaston wrote:You know, I had completely forgot about the Anderson whistles. I also had one for a few days on a tour, and remember liking it well. I can't believe that slipped my mind, but then again I don't recall seeing much from him around here lately. I need to look into that...
Brad Anderson is certainly a good choice for a unique and well crafted wooden whistle. I like his whistles a great deal. The Anderson I have is a darned good player too but quite different from the Burke NB. I took the Anderson into consideration before I posted above and it is just not a similar beast as the Burke narrow bore in the playing dynamics department, IMO. But, you know, I'd never suggest anyone not buy a whistle from Brad. Nice stuff! Go for it.

Feadoggie
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

crookedtune wrote:Hmmm, yeah. Mitch, you might want to check in on Stick. :-?

I'm not sure they're still being made, but the Sweetheart "Mellow-Pro" fits that bill. I have one in Dymondwood, and it's a wonderful whistle.
Mois agientio is too self-absorbed to read what I do these days. Stick is doin' fine dude ;)

It is sooo true! - Brad makes a sweet lil' narro bore whustule .. Sweets do too - but cone-like .. but Teds are local. And .. me, I'm a colonista like you.. and proud! But tha natives are close - and there's nothing like a native huh?? ;)

But .. just for a glimpse of honesty .. if you wanna Burke? Get a Burke.

But if you want a narrow-bore whistle - get a blackbird unless you wanna get aouta jail free - narrow-bore = sensitivo. They too straight-laced to forgive a redneck.

(U know - I stil got this lervelee thoosand pund whustule ..very narrow, very sweet .. veeerray wood! you wan it .. you got it! Onyl thing is what a pund is .. and what the X-change rate for punds does in the nex 24 hours!)

(Ahhh - U know? Gens are narrow-bore too .. Me, I'm radiata pine - regarded as a "weed" (can you beleive that??) in many places :( .. but just because I'm famous don't mean a stick can't remember his roots - more important for me than you! - and a good Gen is a girl you never forget - even when she drops out your pocket and goes off with someone else .. sad but true ..)

(Say?? Do you like the chiroscuro in my avatar?? I paid zilions for that! Worth every penny .. and the othere stuff I hadda do to get it)
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Mr.Nate

Post by Mr.Nate »

Ok, well here is another idea.....

It's not exactly wood but what about a Burke NB composite?

Probably the closest to wood and the closest thing in the world to a Burke metal whistle!!!

Cheers!
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Mr.Nate wrote:Ok, well here is another idea.....

It's not exactly wood but what about a Burke NB composite?

Probably the closest to wood and the closest thing in the world to a Burke metal whistle!!!
Is there an echo in here? :lol:

Feadoggie
Mr.Nate

Post by Mr.Nate »

Feadogie,

I am glad we agree on something! My mistake for not reading all the all of the earlier posts. I think mind went hebadazeebada after reading that post from shtik.

You get the prize for coming up with that idea first! Extra points for owning NB's in all three materials. I've never played a NB composite, just a low E owned by LisaD. It definitely had a softer sound than a metal low E and light as a feather. I could only imagine what a NB soprano D would be like?? Maybe you could send yours out on a tour and I'll sign up as the first person?

Thanks,

Nate
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Mr.Nate wrote:I think mind went hebadazeebada after reading that post from shtik.
(chuckle!) That's understandable. I fear for Stick. I hope it's not a case of the rot.
Mr.Nate wrote:I could only imagine what a NB soprano D would be like?? Maybe you could send yours out on a tour and I'll sign up as the first person?
The Burke composite NB is remarkable due to its lack of weight. It's easy to forget that you even have a whistle in your hands. It plays just like the metal Burke NB's but is a bit more mellow, as you said. There's nNo chance I'd be sending mine out on a tour. It gets used a lot right here. Nice try!

Feadoggie