Onyx WDSweet whistle review

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Feadoggie
antispam: No

Re: Onyx WDSweet whistle review

Post by Feadoggie »

Tyghress, thanks for the review. It looks like Walt has a winner here. I was wondering someone could clarify a detail about the whistle for me though. In the video swizzlestick linked to, Blayne Chastain says the Onyx is made from a polymer which he thinks is derin. He also says in another video demonstration http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVtx3zaNCfE that the WD Sweet model high D is made from delrin. And Walt recently said in another thread concerning delrin
waltsweet wrote:Acetal (aka Delrin aka Polypenco) does not like to be glued or solvent-welded. For that reason, I chose Polycarbonate. ABS will work, but it's kinda soft (better for molding than machining).
I'm confused! No surprise there. :) Are the Onyx low D and the WD Sweet made from delrin or polycarbonate?

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
StarRider

Post by StarRider »

Hi all!
I just ordered the Onyx from Whistle and Drum...And I can hardly wait to get it !! :)
I was wondering whether it comes with a thumb-rest, case etc.
Thanks in advance...And thanks Tyg for bringing it to our attention!! :thumbsup:

I forgot to ask...How long is this whistle?...in case I need to make a case!
Last edited by StarRider on Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MusicalADD

Post by MusicalADD »

Very interesting!

I tried low whistle for a while before giving up on it. It seemed to be bothering my hands, even with the piper's grip.

Then, this morning -- before looking at C&F-- I played low D for a while, for the first time in ages, and I thought, "maybe I should give low D another go..." and then I found this thread. Synchronicity, surely.

I look forward to reviews, clips, etc!
waltsweet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by waltsweet »

Feadoggie,

The new ONYX LoD is made just like its little brother, the WD Sweet model pennywhistle in HiD (I've nicknamed that one the Black Pearl with no other changes).

In each case, the head is made of polycarbonate so I can solvent-weld the block in place (not an option with acetal). The body is made of acetal, aka Delrin (r), aka polypenco; this is a little easier to machine and reduces the cost of material somewhat.

Blayne recently made a lovely video (thanks, Blayne!) about the ONYX; in the video he said, "polymer" that "looks like delrin." You also showed the link to Blayne's other fine video about the HiD (aka WD Sweet aka Black Pearl); in that video he says Delrin (r), but the head and body are polycarbonate and acetal, respectively. It's just a trivial slip-up about identifying the material.

Walt
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

waltsweet wrote:The new ONYX LoD is made just like its little brother, the WD Sweet model pennywhistle in HiD (I've nicknamed that one the Black Pearl with no other changes). In each case, the head is made of polycarbonate so I can solvent-weld the block in place (not an option with acetal). The body is made of acetal, aka Delrin (r), aka polypenco; this is a little easier to machine and reduces the cost of material somewhat.
Thanks, Walt. That's useful information.

I asked because Polycarbonate is made from BPA or bisphenol A which has recently been the focus of many consumer product concerns for it's use in water bottles (like the ubiquitous Nalgene bottle) as well as baby bottles. Most companies have withdrawn those bottles from the market and replaced them with BPA-free materials. Of course a few companies replaced the polycarbonate products with aluminum or stainless containers coated with a spray-on expoy which also contained BPA. Go figure! Here's the FDA's website on BPA in case folks want to read up. http://www.fda.gov/newsevents/publichea ... 064437.htm

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
waltsweet

Post by waltsweet »

Below are the specifications from my supplier; I hope they are satisfactory.
My polycarbonate whistle heads conform to /comply with:

FDA 21CFR177.1580
NSF Standard 51
USDA & 3A
Peewit
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Peewit »

This is good timing for me, too - a few weeks ago I decided to play more whistle (I'm mostly a flutist) and I bought a WD Sweet Delrin high D. A man here was selling off some of his large collection. I'm really enjoying it! It's great to read some of Walt's comments.
Walt - I have one question for you. The block has come loose, at least I presume that's the separate piece at the fipple. I knew it was a bit loose, but today it fell right out when I was cleaning it. Do you have a recommendation for how to glue it back in?

I've been demonstrating some Irish tunes on my whistle for my elementary music students. Today a boy saw me after school, and asked me very seriously if we could play whistle in class instead of recorder. Hmmm... !!
Last edited by Peewit on Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Learn what pleases you, learn what feels good, and don't play it too fast." Gary Hastings
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Peewit wrote:I've been demonstrating some Irish tunes on my whistle for my elementary music students. Today a boy saw me after school, and asked me very seriously if we could play whistle in class instead of recorder. Hmmm... !!
If you haven't seen it already, check Bill Ochs program at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77743

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
waltsweet

Post by waltsweet »

Anne,

The block was held in place with solvent-welding, not glue exactly. It would be best to send it back to the Sweetheart factory for a free repair (tell 'em I sent you).

Walt
Peewit
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Peewit »

Walt, thanks, I'll send it tomorrow. I'll miss my little Black Pearl...

Steve, thanks for the fantastic tip. I've been in touch with Bill about it - now to make sure my principal is in agreement. I love the idea, and Bill's book looks great.
"Learn what pleases you, learn what feels good, and don't play it too fast." Gary Hastings
Deasan

Post by Deasan »

Any clogging issues woth the Onyx or it it a great whistle in that respect as well?
wyodeb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by wyodeb »

Tyghress wrote: P.S. - OMG I just found G#, both octaves, without halfholing!
What fingering are you using for the G#?

Deb

PS It has been really cold here. No real clogging issues. I have had to blow to clear it a couple of times. Not excessively. It's nice that it warms up and stays warm and comfortable to hold.
khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

I've had the Onyx Low D for about three months now. I really like it. All the positive things everyone says in this post I agree with. I've got a Resonance Low D (dymondwood). In some ways, the dymondwood may sound more, well, woody, but the tones are similar and the Onyx is more mobile in playability (easier to seal the holes, faster response) and is easier to play and sustain in the upper second octave.

I do have a question for other Onyx players. The C natural played oxxooo is sharp on mine. Played oxxxoo is acceptable but still a tad on the sharp side. How do yours fare with this? I can relearn some of the tunes I know, but it's a bit of a bother. If not for this, I'd chose this low d above all the others if I had to choose just one to keep (I have Reviol, Burke, Kerry Low D and Songbird Low D, MK, Reyburn, etc.)
Pipe Bender
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Pipe Bender »

khl wrote: The C natural played oxxooo is sharp on mine. Played oxxxoo is acceptable but still a tad on the sharp side. How do yours fare with this?
I like the Cnat thumbhole for all my whistles. I asked Walt to add it to mine when it was ordered. I believe there is another C&Fer who added the thumbhole to his/her Onyx as well.
Pipe Bender
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Pipe Bender »

I should have also included in my posting above that I've found that the Cnat thumbhole is generally not a terribly popular alternative.