Your favorite "alto" G whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ubizmo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Your favorite "alto" G whistle

Post by ubizmo »

I think the so-called "alto" G is my favorite whistle key. It is low enough to get the "low whistle sound" and high enough to get the "high whistle sound." With my somewhat large hands, I can play it using fingertips, rather than piper's grip, and I find that fingertips give me more options for slides and note-bending. It may not be the most useful whistle for session playing, but I've never played in a session anyway. I still don't know enough ITM to jump in.

I have two G whistles: a Guido Gonzato PVC and a Dixon polymer. I picked up the Dixon at the Walton's shop in Dublin, in July. I was wandering around Dublin, popping into any music shop I saw. They all had a bin of high whistles--usually a mix of Generations and Feadogs. The Walton's store had, of course, all the Walton's whistles, and to my surprise they also had a pretty good stock of Dixons, in various keys. And booths to try them out for a while! So I asked for a G, played it for a bit, and bought it for a little over 40 euro.

It's very interesting to play the Gonzato and Dixon G whistles in succession. I love the Gonzato. It's very responsive, easy to play right to the top. It has a somewhat reedy sound, which I had never noticed until comparing it with another whistle. The Dixon has, for lack of a better term, a more whistley sound. It has a touch more chiff, too. They are about equal in volume--certainly not loud, but not shy either.

After comparing these two whistles, I have to wonder what other G whistles people recommend. I've read C&F long enough to know what sort of recommendations to expect in high D and low D whistles, but G whistles get less commentary.

Until now.

Ubizmo
Last edited by ubizmo on Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Your favorite "alto" G whistle

Post by chas »

I think, outside of the old-style wide-bore brass, the low-G is my favorite Burke. It has (as might be expected) a pure sound, which I wouldn't normally like in a low whistle, but there's very little sweetness to it. I had a Grinter G that was probably my favorite-ever G whistle. It had a lot of backpressure, very comfortable to hold, and a beautiful raspy sound. I probably play my Water Weasel. It has a good growl to it, but is very sweet, like all the WW's, and the tone holes are huge, making it hard to play for anyone with small fingers.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

The only 2 alto G's in my whistle basket right now are a PVC one made by Tommy Dion and a peach & walnut one by Mack Hoover. Two distinctly different sounds.

The one alto G that I sold and miss was made by Ronaldo Reyburn, wide-bore brass, maple top. This whistle had a fantastic sound, recorded like a dream ... too good to gather dust here. (Playing more strings than whistles now.)
trill

Post by trill »

I have two alto G's: Susato and Dixon polymer.

They both sound nice, with the Dixon having a wee bit more breathiness.

For my hands, the Dixon has an easier reach.

trill
hydromel89

Post by hydromel89 »

I own a Dixon and an Alba low G whistles and I prefer, by far, my Alba. Less air requirement, more chiff, not very loud though.

Pascal.
Ian Parfitt

Post by Ian Parfitt »

Hi

I have had a Dixon Aluminium body and polymer head tuneable Alto 'G' for just about 6 months and a Alto G that I made from plastic electric conduit (tweaked with plastic tape). The Dixon is a hard task master, take a lot of breath control, good pure sound when played correctly, medium volume and some chiff. as my technique improves no doubt the results that I get from will also improve, a work in progress. My home made whistle has medium volume, very pure sound, flute like and very easy blower requires little breath, OK for playing solo airs and walzes.

I would recommend the Dixon for an experienced player, not sure about playing in session (due to my lack of expertise) but I have been told that the sound does carry in medium size bars when played with a group of around 6 to 9 other musicians, excluding accordian players.

Ian
StarRider

Post by StarRider »

Hi!
My fave is my Burke Brass...with my Dixon a CLOSE second. :)
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

I haven't played a ton of G whistles, but my Water Weasel G is one of my alltime favorite whistles, any key, any material..Plays solid yet sweet from lowest to highest notes, easy octave jump. A joy all around.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

ubizmo wrote:I think the so-called "alto" G is my favorite whistle key. It is low enough to get the "low whistle sound" and high enough to get the "high whistle sound."
You're not alone in this opinion. I was doing a studio gig once and there was a young Irish guy there- either a composer or a sound engineer- and he said the same thing. In his opinion an F whistle was the ideal Irish whistle.
ubizmo wrote: fingertips give me more options for slides and note-bending.
I don't think using the fingertips gives a person more options, just different ones. When I play a high whistle I use the fingertips of both hands and I half-hole by having the fingertip placed in an offset way so that it's covering around 2/3 of the hole, and glide by pulling the fingertip off to the side as it's lifted. On big whistles, and on pipes, I use the middlejoint pads and half-hole and glide by rotating the finger slightly so as to open up the tonehole on the bottom side a bit, the finger still fully across the hole. (It's hard to put into words, I find!) Both methods work for me, they're just different. In listening to uilleann pipers, I don't think one could say that their use of piper's grip is limiting their ability to bend notes.

Personally, I feel I have more control over notebending when I'm using piper's grip, but that's probably simply because I spend almost all of my time on Low D Whistle and the Pipes, and don't often play High Whistle. It probably all comes down to practice time.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

ubizmo wrote: what other G whistles people recommend.
For many years I played a Susato G, one of the early Susatos milled out of PVC stock, with a wooden plug, bought around 1980. It had nice voicing but I feel it had a bore which was a tad too large for its length, making the high notes "shouty" as I call it, a bit loud and harsh and touchy. But overall a nice full loudish whistle. One annoying thing was that it didn't have a tuning slide and came tuned to around A=444, rather sharp. (About the same time I bought a Susato high D whistle that came tuned a quartertone flat!)

When Susato came out with their new injection moulded whistles I bought a G. It had a narrower bore and had better high notes.

A couple years ago I bought a Burke G and it's wonderful. Simply perfect in my opinion, that classic old-time Generationlike sound but down in G.

The best G I've tried is a blackwood one by- I can't recall his name at the moment, the guy who made Water Weasel whistles and high-end wooden whistles.

I'd love to try an Overton G and an MK G someday.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I am lucky enough to have a WaterWeasel Alto G.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

ubizmo wrote:I have to wonder what other G whistles people recommend.
I've owned and played quite a few low G whistles. I probably play a G whistle as frequently as a high D. It's a good key and has just enough of the "low whistle sound". It is a nice, playable size whistle to boot. I carried a Dixon polymer G with me to work each day for a few years which I liked. I owned/played a Susato G (molded) for several years which was quite a good whistle. That whistle had a smaller RH2 hole than others I've examined and it played nicely and sounded really good. My personal favorites remain a Burke and a Water Weasel. The Burke just plays like a dream and the Weasel has tons of character. Others G's I have played which were really nice include the Copeland and O'Riordan. Both are super whistles. Anyone have an Abell low G? That's one I've not played yet.
pancelticpiper wrote:The best G I've tried is a blackwood one by- I can't recall his name at the moment, the guy who made Water Weasel whistles and high-end wooden whistles.
That should be a Thin Weasel made by Glenn Schultz.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
ubizmo

Post by ubizmo »

pancelticpiper wrote:
ubizmo wrote:I think the so-called "alto" G is my favorite whistle key. It is low enough to get the "low whistle sound" and high enough to get the "high whistle sound."
You're not alone in this opinion. I was doing a studio gig once and there was a young Irish guy there- either a composer or a sound engineer- and he said the same thing. In his opinion an F whistle was the ideal Irish whistle.
ubizmo wrote: fingertips give me more options for slides and note-bending.
I don't think using the fingertips gives a person more options, just different ones.
It seems to me that the available techniques for note-bending with piper's grip are a proper subset of those available with fingertip grip. That, however, doesn't imply that note-bending is "harder" with piper's grip. I feel that I have more control with fingertip grip, but I have absolutely no doubt that that's just a result of habit. But, given where I am now in whistle-playing, the fact that I can play a G whistle with fingertips, with no discernible strain, is an advantage. And I like the fact that the G easily gives me A dorian, C major, B minor etc. scales. These are pretty handy when playing with guitarists and other musicians.

I'm not shopping for another G at the moment, although no doubt at some point the disease will kick in. The Dixon polymer really is a lovely whistle. Like my brass Dixon Trad high D, it plays sweetly in the 2nd octave, but it has a lot more personality in the first octave than it's high cousin. Both Dixons have absolutely dead-on tuning, including a few useful cross-fingerings for accidentals.

Ian Parfitt's comments above make me wonder if there's much difference between the polymer and aluminum Dixon Gs. I wouldn't expect much, since I imagine they use the same head, but I don't find the first octave particularly touchy on my polymer G. I notice this touchiness far more on the Dixon Trad high D.

Ubizmo
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

Feadoggie wrote:That should be a Thin Weasel made by Glenn Schultz.
Yes! It was a Glen Schultz blackwood or ebony low G with silver metalwork as I recall, and played fantastic.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Possibly the two finest whistles I own are G - an O'riordan Traveler and a Copeland. The O'riordan is just easy to blow and has an angelic balanced tone through two octaves; the Copeland, moreso than any other Copeland or whistle I've played, has a bark and a resonance that is truly remarkable and is also well balanced between octaves. Although I currently play daily mostly Sindt, Burke and Busman D whistles, and really love the Susato Bflat and Black Diamond C whistles, these two G whistles are the most extraordinary I've ever played.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.