CP: Bill Ochs Whistle/Flute workshop, Killington, VT

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

CP: Bill Ochs Whistle/Flute workshop, Killington, VT

Post by Steve Bliven »

Master teacher, musician, and author Bill Ochs will lead Ornamentation Boot Camp—a workshop for tin whistle, low whistle and flute players on Friday, August 13th from 2:00 to 6:00 PM in the Long Trail Pub at The Killington Grand Hotel, 228 East Mountain Road, Killington, Vermont.

The workshop is geared towards students who feel comfortable playing Irish dance tunes at a moderate pace, but who are either new to ornamentation or who would like to review the techniques. The class will start with instruction in simple ornaments (cuts and strikes) and then move on to compound ornaments (rolls and crans). Each ornament will be presented in the context of a tune, so students will learn not only technique, but will also add new pieces for their repertoires.

The fee for the workshop is $40. For further information or to register, contact me via PM or through Steve(dot)Bliven(at)comcast.net. Because we need a minimum number of participants to make this go, please let me know if you are interested, even if you are not ready to commit at this point.

Participants should bring a tin whistle or low whistle pitched in D. Players of any type of flute are welcome—Boehm or simple-system pitched in D.

Boot Camp creator and presenter Bill Ochs has been called a "central figure in the renaissance of the tin whistle" by National Public Radio's All Things Considered and the "leading tin whistle teacher in North America” by The Irish Voice newspaper. He is the author of "The Clarke Tin Whistle”—the definitive tin whistle instruction book—now in its twenty-second printing with over 250,000 copies in print. He teaches the flute, tin whistle and Uilleann pipes at The Irish Arts Center in Manhattan and at his own studio.

The Boot Camp workshop takes place just before The Pipers' Gathering—North America's most comprehensive alternative bagpipe event—at The Killington Grand Hotel. There will be ongoing whistle and flute instruction at The Pipers' Gathering throughout the weekend. For details, visit http://www.pipersgathering.org and http://www.pipersgathering.org/WhistleFlutes.shtml There, you will notice that Bill, in conjunction with Brian McNamara and Anthony Santoro will be leading workshops of Uilleann pipers. If Uilleann pipe workshops or further whistle and/or flute workshops (lead by Laura MacKenzie and Andrea Mori) are of interest to you then you may wish to consider registering for a full weekend of music.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: CP: Bill Ochs Whistle/Flute workshop, Killington, VT

Post by brewerpaul »

I'd highly recommend this. If I wasn't going to be in Ohio that weekend I'd go.
Bill Ochs is a terrific teacher. For anyone getting into the interesting world of Irish ornamentation, this class will be a gold mine. More experienced players will learn things too. Plus, the whole Killington area is gorgeous, with great food, hiking trails, craft shops, etc.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

Paul's right...this is all good. My wife even wants to come with me.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
cavefish
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

Bill ochs has a good traditional style very smooth
Choose you this day, whom ye shall serve
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

There are still a few spots available in this workshop.

If interested PM me or contact via Steve (dot) Bliven (at) comcast (dot) net.

PhilO, please contact me and let me know if you are still interested.

Thanks and best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.