Oh gods of tin whistle, I need practice suggestions

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ecohawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Oh gods of tin whistle, I need practice suggestions

Post by ecohawk »

Hi all,

I've been lurking for the better part of the past year whilst making the conversion from hard core recorder student to whistle player. Not abandoning the recorder but I'm finding that I pick up whistles far more often these days. And playing the whistle has improved my recorder playing, in terms of speed and articulation, far more than practicing ever did. I started with recorder because I wanted (at 57 years of age) to finally learn how to read music. The recorder was the perfect vehicle for that. The whistle seems to be better learned by ear but knowing how to read music has helped there as well.

I not only have a terminal case of WHOA but am recovering from a severe bout of RAD (recorder acquisition disorder) at the same time. RAD is much more costly than is WHOA btw. I have acquired many fine instruments through the guidance and help of fellow forum members. So I certainly will not blame my lack of progress on equipment.

Finally to my problem. Thanks to the collective wisdom of this forum, I have progressed from rank beginner to actually being able to participate in the occasional session. However, my schedule is far too erratic to allow me the luxury of lessons and I want to become proficient at this instrument. I practice for 1 hour or so virtually every day. My practice consists of 20 minutes of scales and dexterity exercises, 20 minutes of tone work (breath control and ornamentation), and the rest playing actual songs, beginning with aire's or other slower tunes and working my way up to jigs & reels. I am not limiting myself to ITM but I am staying with it for now because there is such a huge body of material available.

What would you all suggest as the best way for me to improve? For now a fixed schedule is out of the question so an instructor is not practical. Should I alter my practice routine? Are there any pieces that are particularly useful for improving skill?

I am an open vessel ready to absorb your wisdom. :poke:
"Never get one of those cheap tin whistles. It leads to much harder drugs like pipes and flutes." - anon
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Oh gods of tin whistle, I need practice suggestions

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Oh gods of tin whistle
ImageI think you may have dialled a wrong number
My brain hurts

highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

I only use scales and other exercises to work on specific problems. If you don't have a specific plan, then your "practice" is kind of aimless and you won't make much progress.

Pick some tunes you want to master, and work on them bit by bit. If the setting you want to play has a roll of E, and if you can't play a roll on E, then you can't play the tune. Being able to play through the 90% that's easy is kind of pointless if you can't handle the 10%. Master the hardest bits first and allow the rest to fall into place.

Becoming a competent musician is about the details. That, and rhythm. If you have a solid and refined sense of rhythm, then you're good to go. If not, use a metronome. Hint: It's not the short notes that most people have a problem with!
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

As you have found, it's best to learn this music by ear. Just keep learning more and more tunes, by ear, and don't neglect the ones you already know, and you will be amazed how fast you improve. Two new tunes a week seems reasonable to me in the early stages.

[Just noticed that I'm in the middle of a cross-post with H-P, who has a differing view. I would add, therefore, that you shold read and soak up all the answers here, and any other advice you get, and make your own mind up which way to go.]
Tucson Whistler

Post by Tucson Whistler »

I'm definitely NOT one of the gods around here, but I think playing in sessions is very good. You can see how other people play, get a better feel for the tunes, and get feedback, also. At least for me it's good.
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

I don't know that what I said is all that conflicting with what Ben said.

He says learn tunes by ear, and learn lot's of them, and I said to focus on the difficult parts of them.

Being able to play a lot of tunes is pretty impressive, but not if you make a mess of all of them :thumbsup:

I can only play a handful of tunes on tin whistle, but I can play them well. I've never been at a session, so I can't speak with any real knowledge of that. It seems that many people assume that all sessions are populated by great musicians who are well-versed in the style.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Tucson Whistler wrote:I'm definitely NOT one of the gods around here
I don't know about that. If I were walking through the desert and came upon a giant saguaro with arms akimbo playing an enormous whistle, I'd be pretty awestruck.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Get a copy of Bill Ochs' The Clarke Tinwhistle and work through it lesson by lesson. You'll breeze through the how to read music parts, but it will be a BIG help in transitioning from classical/baroque ornamentation to celtic. Been there, done that.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

Sorry, H-P, I didn't mean to imply that what you said was contradictory to what I was just about to post - only that it was looking at it from a different direction, in a different light, some such phrase. :) One could, of course, do what I said and do what you said. Which is what you've now said ... :)
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

... having said which, as a beginner, I think I would actually rather try out lots and lots of tunes, rather than focus entirely on just a few. And also maybe work on getting a few of them right, in the way you suggest, H-P.
bogman

Post by bogman »

I would say that only a third of your time spent on the tunes is nowhere near enough. 10 minutes of your hour would be enough for non tune stuff. All the breath control, tone and dexterity is in the tunes. Sure, if there's certain things that are giving you trouble then work on them in isolation when they come up. For example, if there are couple of bars that are giving you trouble then play the tune and when you come to that bit play these bars in a loop for maybe 10 or twenty times then finish the tune. That gives your practice context. I think one of the most useful practice techniques for whistle or any other instrument is to play along with recordings. That way you are practicing rhythm, pitch, tone and playing with others all at the same time. I open tunes in quickplayer then set it to loop and play a tune maybe 5 -10 times in a row or until it's ready for the session. Youtube is particularly good as usually the clips are not done to a click and you can learn to have natural rhythm and timing.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Interesting ... I don't like the playing along with recordings technique. I think there are a number of things that make it counter-productive. Firstly, because not all the sound is there (ie sound reproduction is still very limited), you can't actually play the recording loud enough to be able to hear in the way you would with live musicians, whilst not perforating your eardrums. :) Secondly, I think it can have the same sort of effect as playing along with a metronome - people can tend to slow down ... and then speed up in places to catch up with the recording, and this, for beginners, can happen without noticing, so that in fact they end up with not great rhythm, even though they think they have.

I totally agree about the proportion of time just playing tunes though.
bogman

Post by bogman »

A very different way of looking at it Ben and we have definitely different views there. Providing you are doing plenty practice on your own before hand I can't agree that playing with recordings isn't very beneficial. I think we'll have to agree to disagree.
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Fair enough. I have seen one dreadful result of same, but then, there may be many more that I just don't know about ('cos they're decent players, maybe, and I just haven't stopped to think about it at the time). I doubt if we'd bother arguing about it in person. I suspect we'd be happy enough to just have a few tunes.
bogman

Post by bogman »

I'm very sure that would be the case.