A quick key check please?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DrPhill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

A quick key check please?

Post by DrPhill »

I am still trying to learn tunes by ear.... could some kind soul tell me if I a right playing this on a D whistle starting on A, and spanning first to second e?

Thanks in advance for your help.....
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
hans
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Re: A quick key check please?

Post by hans »

I think you are right.
Sort of a pentatonic major scale on A:
A B C# E F# A
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

My first impulse was to start it on G; it works perfectly in that key because the low note is then D as is the uppermost span, and it would be easier because while you CAN play just fine it in A, you'd have to half-hole that G#. Not that that's a bad idea; just depends on what you're shooting for.

Me, I'm lazy about those things. :)

[Edited in the wake of Hans' post: I THINK I heard a sharpened seventh in there, anyway. Maybe I was just auto-variationising in my head. :) ]
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
DrPhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DrPhill »

Thanks to you both. I think I am getting better at matching pitches, and maybe more confident. But I still need some reassurance, so I really appreciate your listening and checking for me.

Hans - I wonder if there is a reason for me liking pentatonics? Perhaps they are just less complex?
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.