Now I need to learn another instrument!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Blazer
antispam: No

Now I need to learn another instrument!

Post by Blazer »

So I am 6 weeks into learning the tin whistle. A couple of weeks ago I made the mistake of mentioning to my wife another instrument that I found fascinating. And what do I find lurking under the Christmas tree this morning... a brand new Bodhran! It's an 18 inch tunable model complete with tipper and instructional video. I really need to expedite my retirement to find time for all of my hobbies!
markbell

Re: Now I need to learn another instrument!

Post by markbell »

You call that a mistake?!

Based on results, it was pure genius.
sibilo ergo sum
Liam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been playing Irish music for years, now I want to learn more about whistles to help teach my kids. Currently I play the Anglo Concertina and B/C accordion.

Post by Liam »

Anything involving Bodhrans is always a mistake :).

Oh well.. hope you enjoy it.

--
Bill
Blaydo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Blaydo »

Liam wrote:Anything involving Bodhrans is always a mistake :)
Bodhrans are ok if someone knows how to use them, it's the " Bodhran Bashers " that are a serious problem in sessions. Some people seem to think it's a quick way of joining a session without having to bother learning any tunes. In general I hate the damn things as it's hard to come across people who can actually play them.
elwalti

Post by elwalti »

I have to say I'm just as fortunate as you, Blazer. I opened up a gift from my mother, and found a bodhran (much to my surprise :o )! In addition to my violin, whistles, and saxophone, I think I need more hands! Have fun with yours! :thumbsup:
Feed the soul art and music -- it will live forever.

Erin
Blaydo

Post by Blaydo »

elwalti wrote:I have to say I'm just as fortunate as you, Blazer. I opened up a gift from my mother, and found a bodhran
Bah, I swear I'd kill someone if I found a bodhran under the tree, anyway I found a nice Dixon Bb under mine :P
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

and you'll need to learn another instrument after that one. (The ocarina is fun.)
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Porridge Face

Post by Porridge Face »

Blazer wrote:So I am 6 weeks into learning the tin whistle. A couple of weeks ago I made the mistake of mentioning to my wife another instrument that I found fascinating. And what do I find lurking under the Christmas tree this morning... a brand new Bodhran! It's an 18 inch tunable model complete with tipper and instructional video. I really need to expedite my retirement to find time for all of my hobbies!
Good for you!! I love the bodhran. I just practice a little restraint when playing in a group, and everybody loves me. Have fun with it ">)
Porridge Face

Michael Burke D Brass Session
Tony Dixon Low F
elwalti

Post by elwalti »

What can i say Blaydo - At least I have a new method of waking up the rest of the house in the middle of the night. They've gotten too used to the whistles whistling! :poke: :twisted: :D
Feed the soul art and music -- it will live forever.

Erin
RainInEden_K

Post by RainInEden_K »

Don't worry, you'll manage to do both, take it from a member of a band of instrument addicts with too many
things to study and not nearly enough time.

I play a little percussion (Ghaval, Daf and Bendir) here and there in our band too. I'm not very good, but It is a lot of fun and I found that working on percussion really helped me think outside the usual boxes for playing melodic instruments too. Especially when exploring exotic time signatures like Afghan 7/8 and Turkish 9/8.

Some friends here play Bodran as a large Tar or Bendir. If it is tunable you can adjust the pitch to be
friendly to play as a hand drum instead of using a beater. It is much more flexible, easier to master and the sound fits a wider range of traditional music styles.

Anyway Happy New Year and good luck.
RainInEden
http://www.rainineden.com
Silk Road Music
Tokyo, Japan