O'riordan delrin head

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
lefty
antispam: No

O'riordan delrin head

Post by lefty »

Hello to all,

its a wet horrible evening here in the UK, and I am just playing a few tunes on me whistles,
I am lucky enough to have an O'riordan black tubed delrin head? now on close inspection after playing it for a while you do get some condensation coming out of the fipple plug, its always done this, but I have always been intrigued because O'riordans are always described as having delrin heads, if i compare this to My sindt whistle, Pats delrin if it is delrin is way softer, so are they maybe a a type of pvc??

makes no odds to the amazing sound :D

lefty
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: O'riordan delrin head

Post by raindog1970 »

I have an O'Riordan low D, and the mouthpiece is made of black ABS plastic.
There is a good degree of hand carving necessary with Pat's design, and Delrin is just too tough to be a good choice of materials for a design that isn't mostly machined.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
lefty

Post by lefty »

Thanks Gary,

that clears that up, I always wondered how he would hand carve the ramp as you can see the tool marks on it, and like you said delrin is pretty tough, I have turned it in rod form when I had my metal lathe, very cheap stuff, especially if you buy off cuts and short lenghts.

sponge
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Keep in mind that there is a generic delrin called acetyl. They are not exactly the same.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
rhulsey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rhulsey »

I recall asking Mr. O'Riordan what the "F" in the serial number on his whistles stood for, and he said that it was because it was an FDA approved material that he used. I don't remember if he said it was acetyl or delrin, though that detail may be in an email somewhere.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

I have noticed over the years that the heads on Pat's whistles (the anodized aluminum Travelers) do show some signs of wear, actually sort of "scuff" marks, whereas the delrin heads (actually portions of heads) in my Sindts, Copelands, Burkes have never shown any wear and are a harder, denser, shinier material. As you may have noticed, the scuff marks do not seem to inhibit the heavenly tones emanating from Pat's whistles, though.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.