Newb 2 Newb Its not the whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whistling Archer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Newb 2 Newb Its not the whistle

Post by Whistling Archer »

This bit of advice has been given by the learned and talented here, but as a newb , it is hard to take. Being one I understand. But unfortunately I am figuring out after trying a few , or more than a few whistles.
Mistakes.
1. we think the advanced player doesnt understand the crazy sounds we are getting
2. we figure it cant be completely us, must be the whistle
3. we think if we could get our hands on a Burke or Copeland our problems would be solved.
4.other inst. are usually easier when a bit costlier
5. its easier to blame whistle than ourselves.

I was just about to sell my Dixon , that was too "breathey" , and last nite I played it after not playing it for a couple weeks. Amazingly it is not so breathey!. What happened, I guess I made a tiny bit of improvement on my breath control.
dang, wasnt whistle after all.duh!!

My only qualifications for this advice is that I am a newbie, and I want to learn just like you do,, but Im doing myself a disservice if I keep trying to find that ultimato whistle ,, that practically plays itself.
Some do seem easier to me,, narrow or conical bore seem easier in the 2nd. But hopefully that issue will be solved , when I learn .

Good news , you dont have to run up your credit card, bad news is you cant buy it, but if you COULD buy it ,,,, it wouldnt be so special.
I know nothing, Im just trying to save you the money & embaressment .
I you do have a Burke or Copeland, that doesnt play well,,, please send it to me, fo a yrs testing :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/user/sjeter61
My tunes , if you're interested
realale
antispam: No

Re: Newb 2 Newb Its not the whistle

Post by realale »

I only started a few months ago. The whole family each got a Generation D - two nickel, two brass. I've taken to it more than anyone else (starting to dream of whistling which is a good sign I think). Coming from an alto sax background (albeit with a substantial break . . .), the fingering hasn't been tough, and being able to read music is helpful, but there are so many different techniques for starting and stopping notes as well as breathing and phrasing that it's been a wonderfully rich, compelling learning experience so far.

I will admit to having stumped up a bit extra for a Dixon Traditional as I couldn't get any of the 4 Gens to produce a C natural that was anywhere close to in tune. I expect it's lack of breath control on my part, but it was driving me nuts enough that I dreading practicing any tunes with C nat.

Cheers,

Dave
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Man, good post, WA.
realale wrote:I will admit to having stumped up a bit extra for a Dixon Traditional as I couldn't get any of the 4 Gens to produce a C natural that was anywhere close to in tune. I expect it's lack of breath control on my part, but it was driving me nuts enough that I dreading practicing any tunes with C nat.
What fingering were you using on the Generations?
realale

Post by realale »

fearfaoin wrote:What fingering were you using on the Generations?
oxx ooo

oxx xox

The first was nowhere near, and while the second was better it was: (1) off enough to bother me; and (2) enough of a PITA for my wee brain to try to adjust from alto sax C nat fingering (oxo ooo) that it was worth stumping up for the Dixon Trad which I selected after searching on here for reasonably-priced whistles that had in-tune C nats.

As I mentioned, it's almost certainly my fault. As I am learning I see how much control one can exercise over the tuning of particular notes with the breath. My point was simply that my lack of skill and the difficulty of developing same was almost to the point of dampening my enthusiasm for the instrument, which was rekindled by a moving to a slightly pricier whistle that addressed my particular concern. So, while I realize I have much work to do, I can at least do it without my ears bleeding due to very out of tune C nats.

Cheers,

Dave
Achill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Achill »

Well said Steve:)

Matt
Dain

Post by Dain »

realale wrote: My point was simply that my lack of skill and the difficulty of developing same was almost to the point of dampening my enthusiasm for the instrument, which was rekindled by a moving to a slightly pricier whistle that addressed my particular concern. So, while I realize I have much work to do, I can at least do it without my ears bleeding due to very out of tune C nats.
And the next thing is to try and tweak your Gen D.
So help me God if it this mine isn't better than my Dixon Trad. :boggle: