DOOLIN whistle review

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

I just recieved my package from Adare, Éire and our own Mr. Steve Power.

Steve was kind enough to find the case I needed for my 19" bodhrán, AND send me a whistle too!

I've just ebcome the proud new Daddy to a Doolin whistle. This is the one piece design, with the standard brass body, and a green plastic mouthpiece.

Looks an awful lot like a Feadóg, or a Walton's mellow D whistle. The tone is quiet, and sweet. much like the previous two. For an inexpensive whistle, it sounds as good as any of my cheapies, and at least as good as most of my mid-priced childre...er...I mean whistles do!

At any rate, pick some up for the neighborhood kids, or stocking stuffers! A fairly easy to play whistle, at an easy to swallow price. Great first time instrument.

B~

P.S. Steve's service is second to none! A gentleman through and through. I would recommend his shop to anyone. If he doesn't have what you need, chances are GOOD he can find it! I was certainly supprised when he found my case!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Brian Lee on 2001-08-28 20:11 ]</font>
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

On 2001-08-27 23:45, Brian Lee wrote:
Looks an awful lot like a Feadóg, or a Walton's mellow D whistle. The tone is quiet, and sweet. much like the previous two.
The way I see it, the only way it looks like a Feadog or a Walton's is in the color of the mouthpiece. The actual shape of the mouthpiece is very different. Also, Feadogs and Waltons have matte finish brass tubes, and the Doolin has a high polished brass tube. Furthermore, I find it interesting that you say the tone of the Doolin is similar to those other two, because while I agree that the Doolin is sweet and somewhat quiet, I would not say that about the Feadog or the Walton's. Those two can be very shrill in the upper octave.

Jessie
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

On 2001-08-28 09:49, JessieK wrote:
The way I see it, the only way it looks like a Feadog or a Walton's is in the color of the mouthpiece. The actual shape of the mouthpiece is very different. Also, Feadogs and Waltons have matte finish brass tubes, and the Doolin has a high polished brass tube. Furthermore, I find it interesting that you say the tone of the Doolin is similar to those other two, because while I agree that the Doolin is sweet and somewhat quiet, I would not say that about the Feadog or the Walton's. Those two can be very shrill in the upper octave.

Jessie
The body on the one I recieved is NOT highly polished brass like say my Burke pro, but is rather a satin finish just like both of the other whistles I mentioned. The tone holes are virtualy identical to those whistles as well.

Granted the mouthpiece is different in design, but to me, it's green, and not squeaky, so it's like my other two. I tweaked the WAlton's to mellow it out just by sanding the blade a bit, but the Feadóg is off the shelf. I've never had problems with either one being squeaky myself. Perhaps I just got lucky.

All in all, a very nice whistle. is it perfect? Of COURSE not! But it's one of the best inexpensive whistles I've played off the shelf probably ever! I like mine, and as far as my preference for whistle tone goes, I like this one a lot.

Hope that helps to clarify Jess...

B~
Ron Rowe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ron Rowe »

I should have mine any day now Brian, when you come to Denver we can try a bit of duelin doolins