Best inexpensive whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jmssmh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jmssmh »

I recently brought a couple of Little Black fipples from Thom for my son to make a whistle for a school project. He didn't end up using them (he made a Low whistle with a Howard fipple)so I put one on my first whistle, a Generation brass D I got in 1978 in which I destroyed the fipple over the years during various experiement. With the new fipple the whistle never sounded better. Then after reading that Cillian O'Brien used Feadog bodies in his tweaked whistles, I tried the Little Black fipple on the Feadog whistle I had. The result is what I think is the best cheap whistle. It is the most in tune with itself and best 0XX000 C natural of that class of whistles. It sounds better than with the Feadog fipple and the black fipple with the brass body looks cool. I was tempted to buy the fipples and bodies in bulk and sell them as "Joe's whistles", but it is easier to just pass it on to everyone.

Joe
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

I think Walton's whistles are the most consistantly good quality cheap whistles.
The Mellow D is especially nice because of the larger finger holes... it makes half-hole fingerings a lot easier.
While they are fine without any modification, a little filler under the windway and a few strokes to the blade with a small file make them even better.
Ron Rowe

Post by Ron Rowe »

For my money the Clare 2-piece is the best all around cheap whistle, clear bright sound, not to airy and very responsive
Henri8

Post by Henri8 »

My favorite cheap whistles are Clarke's conical whistles. I really like my Sweetones and, when I'm in a chiffy mood, the standard Clarke is just grand.
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

I've got to agree that my Walton is one of my best cheapy whistles (even better than my Generation). Though in the medium price range I love my Shaw. It has higher air requirements than many whistles, but the work is worth the output.

Erik

p.s. Very nice board, Rich! Thank you for all of your work on this and on getting the old files archived. I second the three cheers... so you're up to six now :smile:
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

On 2001-06-27 12:09, ErikT wrote:
<snip>....Thank you for all of your work on this and on getting the old files archived. I second the three cheers... so you're up to six now :smile:
you mean the old stuff from the C&F Board is archived here? WHere's the link?
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

Being archived as we speak. The test run is currently available <a href="http://www.lafferty.ca/chiff-archive/">here</a>, but only the links from the index pages to individual messages work. It'll be a little while before the complete archives will be available, since I still have to write the programs to go through and fix all of the links, but once they are, they'll be at that same URL (or near there) and, I hope, searchable.

<ul>-Rich</ul>
jmssmh

Post by jmssmh »

When I started this post I did not mean it to be a poll but to pass along what I found out.

Has anyone else tried a Walton Fipple on a Feadog body? I need to know is this great whistle I have now a fluke or can this experiemental results be reproduce by others

Joe
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

Thanks rich, for all your effort on this and the archive.
brownja

Post by brownja »

Walton's fipple on Feadog....
I just did that last week. After hacksawing the feadog tube and using part of the feadog fipple to join the two sections. It's now a two piece whistle (a la Clare) that's pretty decent. I had previously butched the feadog fipple trying to "clean it up" a bit with an exacto knife, so i had nothing to loose.
ThorntonRose

Post by ThorntonRose »

What are we considering inexpensive? I think Waltons (~$8) and Dixon (~$16) are the best inexpensive whistles.
Zookeeper

Post by Zookeeper »

I have recently ordered my first whistle and am glad to see Walton's mentioned fovorably in this section since I ordered a Walton D. It's nice to know that I have made what appears to be a good decision.

As a beginner to whistle playing, I know I will be probably be back and forth to this forum a lot looking for help and advice. From what I've read and seen so far this is the place to come. Everyone seems to be willing to help out a newbie and not just give us a hard time. I have seen that too often on various other forums.

Thanks for being here and thanks to Dale for having a great site.

Rick
KENFU1911A1

Post by KENFU1911A1 »

We all try!!!!!!!
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

A vote here for Waltons as best cheapie!