Time to buy some books

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
caedmon
antispam: No

Time to buy some books

Post by caedmon »

As nice as the internet is, I like to go out on the back porch with a song book and try to practice stuff that way. So, time to pick up a few whistle books come pay day.

The Penny Whistle Book by Robin Williamson
The Clarke Tin Whistle: Deluxe Edition
Mel Bay's Deluxe Tinwhistle Songbook

These are three of the book on Amazon that caught my attention. I am gravitating toward's the Mel Bay book because it is just a song book. What I don't know is if the book has the tab for the songs, as well. As much as I know I read musical notation, I also just want to play. Does the Mel Bay book include fingering tab?

If not, please recommend to me some books that include the tab.
Chad Wilson

Some whistles, an old fiddle, an old banjo, a bass, a guitar and a bodhran
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Time to buy some books

Post by s1m0n »

I found the williamson book to be nearly useless. It's a tunebook with no particular whistle content, IIRC.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
squidgirl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by squidgirl »

I think I remember the Mey Bay book as having whistle tab, but that's from having seen it once in a music store, not owning it. Can someone else confirm or correct this?

Of the books I own, the only one with whistle tab is Ireland's Best Tin Whistle Tunes (vol 1), which has tab for all the tunes in the beginner's section. This is a nice book because you can get it in an edition that comes with CDs that have all the tunes, played on tin whistle (with guitar). This was my favorite tunebook from the period when I was collecting tutorials and tunebooks.

Of the books you mentioned, the Williamson book is a collection of English folk tunes, all set within the whistle's range. The Clarke book is by Bill Ochs, and is a complete tutorial for learning to read music and play whistle, with the first half having non-Irish tunes (American traditional, some Playford, Morris dances, etc.) for learning the whistle basics, and then the 2nd half going into Irish music and ornamentation. Those two I own. I think I remember the Mel Bay book being Irish tunes, mostly jigs and reels.
cephalopods => weirdly intelligent
Sandy McLeod

Post by Sandy McLeod »

Mel Bay seems to have a whole series of tinwhistle books. I have "You Can Teach Yourself Tinwhistle" and it does NOT have tabs but does have standard notation and fingering schematics at the beginning of appropriate sections where it introduces new notes. (Perhaps this is what you mean by tabs?)

Sandy
Leap into the boundless and make it your home.
Zhuang-zi
caedmon

Post by caedmon »

Not really. I am hoping more for the song sheets to have the fingering tab on them.
Chad Wilson

Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

I have dozens of whistle books, very few offer tablature throughout. The Walton's book that came with my Irish whistle pack included a short tunebook that had tablature. Also, I have another pocket whistle tunebook (I think it's MelBay) that has tablature. I would probably recommend something like http://www.thewhistleshop.com to give you more book choices. My favorite would be the Ireland's Best Tin Whistle Tunes book mentioned above although, like squidgirl mentioned, only the beginning part includes tablature.
jkrazy52
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jkrazy52 »

Chad, take a look at the Whistle & Squeak website. It is not a huge selection of songs/tunes, but each one does have penny whistle tabs.
caedmon

Post by caedmon »

Cool site. Thank you for the continued information the books.
Chad Wilson

DrPhill

Post by DrPhill »

I have a few books but the only one with tab throughout is my very first: 'Instant Tin Whistle IRISH'. The tunes are simple enough for me :D maybe too simple for you?

[unsolicited advice]
I am a relative dunce, musically speaking, (and probably in almost every other sphere) but I have picked up enough knowledge of dots to be able to use them to refresh my memory when I am learning a tune. This 'skill' has helped me immensely. Maybe you should give the dots a try. It certainly removes the need restrict your book choices.
[/unsolicited advice]
Phill

One does not equal two. Not even for very large values of one.
Dain

Post by Dain »

It takes about a day for a normal person to learn the basics of the classical musical notation, and it's beyond comparison in quality to ABC or whistle tabs. Don't bereft yourselves of all those nice tunes, only because you are lazy to read a music theory book for a few hours. ;)
Lempa

Post by Lempa »

Deluxe Tinwhistle Songbook has tabs: http://www.melbay.com/samples.asp?Produ ... &sampnum=1
TunelessJoe

Post by TunelessJoe »

I bought a few tutorials. Here is a google books preview of one by Clare McKenna that has a ton of whistle tablature.

http://books.google.com/books?id=O7VwFa ... navlinks_s

I like this one but it starts out faster than the Clarke book by Bill Ochs, so I switched to that one as my first go. I am learning to read music, but I'm still glad to have the tablature.

She also has a two CD set to go with it, but I haven't ordered that yet.

p.s. I just had all my tutorials cut and rebound with plastic spiral binding so they stay open to the page you want and lay flat or stay open on a stand. At less than $4 a piece, it's a great deal for so much more convenience.
-------------------------------------
dangerously inexperienced
i use a safety cord in case I slip on a jig and swallow my whistle
caedmon

Post by caedmon »

I will learn the A to G's eventually, but having a collection of music I can just sit down and play by tab gets me to the 'fun' part of playing faster. That is the type of learner that I am. Learn by 'tell me which button to push', to 'these buttons do these kind of things' to 'and now I will try this combination fo buttons'. It is a progression of learning.

When I first joined the band in 5th grade, I was taught how to hit the drum, the different methods. Then I was taught how to read music. So, before I could read a quarter note, I was already following along with the rhythm of the songs on the set.

I can appreciate the argument that I should learn to read standard notation sooner, and later. Yes, it opens more music to me. And I will. We all learn at a different pace.
Chad Wilson

MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Dain wrote:classical musical notation ... it's beyond comparison in quality to ABC
Actually, ABC is "classical" music notation. That is, it's just another formalism for the exact same information. Either is easy to read if you learn it. Unlike whistle tab, which is pitch/fingering only.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

caedmon wrote:Not really. I am hoping more for the song sheets to have the fingering tab on them.
Learn to read music. It's actually easier than that cumbersome tab and it opens up thousands of tunes to you.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!