It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:39 pm
Posts: 2751
Location: Yes
This is my commercial post for May. I have not made one in a long time since ( March 2008 viewtopic.php?f=1&t=58444 ) I have been going to music festivals and selling by referrals also. Been spending a lot of time developing a few new whistles, and retooling to accommodate a variety. My ''Whistles of Wood'' have brass ferrules, and a brass in brass tuning slide to play shap, flat, or pulled out a little to play right in tune.

Image

Lignum vitae D $150.00
cardinal wood D $150.00 when complete
teak D sale pending

Image

The light made them look blue, but they are gray except for the F.
pvc low whistles $40.00 They are two part and tunable. Can be made into a three part compact for $50.00
F
G
G
A
Bb
Bb
Bb
B

Image

Leaning on the anvil are two prototype soprano D conical bore copper with pvc head. The whistle on the right has a brass tip, on the left has a copper tip. They are not ready for sale yet. It plays very clear and stable. The conical bore allows a larger window for a nice clear volume.

_________________
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086


Last edited by Tommy on Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 4:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:31 am
Posts: 271
Location: Norway
Hi Tommy,

Some lovely looking whistles you've made. I've often wondered how a conical metal whistle body would work with a hand made pvc head.(clarkes are not hand made). I like the way pvc preforms in regards condensation and pre-warming, and there's a lot of people out there that prefer a metel whistle, it seems a good idea to combine the two.
An interesting point too, about being able to open the windway due to the conical bore. I would be very interested in hearing how they turn out, and what qualities they offer. I've heard the clips of your straight bored pvc headed whistles, they sound very nice, and very responsive.
It would be nice to hear some sound clips when they are finished,

Nice job!

Chris


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:42 pm
Posts: 8024
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis
Those conicals are interesting!!

_________________
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:11 am
Posts: 41
Location: Lowell, MA, USA
Regarding those copper whistles, I think they would be stunning with black headpieces.

_________________
-------------------------------------
dangerously inexperienced
i use a safety cord in case I slip on a jig and swallow my whistle


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:39 pm
Posts: 2751
Location: Yes
TunelessJoe wrote:
Regarding those copper whistles, I think they would be stunning with black headpieces.


I will look for some black pvc, but the only thing that comes to mind first is black delrin, and delrin cost more than pvc.

In the mean time photoshop anyone?

Image

Image

_________________
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:39 pm
Posts: 2751
Location: Yes
Image

Here are three samples of ways to move tone holes on a DIY prototype. The top one is made by machining down around the incorrect hole. Then bore a clip with the correct size hole drilled in to it. Elongate the incorrect hole on the tone tube, and cut enough away off the bottom of the clip so it will snap onto the tone tube. It may need some wax to make a good seal. Then slide the clip till it produces the desired note. Take measurements and make a nice tone tube.

The seconded one is just sealed with a two part epoxy, and wait till it dries. Then re drill.

The last one is my favorite and takes less time and work. Save the holes you drilled out and if there is a hole that sounds off. Replace the hole with fast drying CA adhesive, then re drill.
Test and measure, then make a nice one. :thumbsup:

_________________
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086


Last edited by Tommy on Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2001 6:00 pm
Posts: 2213
Location: Kings Mills, OH
You can use polyclays like Fimo or Sculpey to fill in the holes that. I used to do that when I first started making whistles

_________________
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:39 pm
Posts: 2751
Location: Yes
Daniel_Bingamon wrote:
You can use polyclays like Fimo or Sculpey to fill in the holes that. I used to do that when I first started making whistles


Thanks Daniel, I had not thought about polyclays. I tried some bondo auto dent filler comes in other brand names but is the same thing. Mix it and it turns pink. Anyway bondo would not stick to pvc. Works great on what it was intended for- metal.

I should also add that holding a stick in the tone tube under the hole your put a filler into will keep it from sagging till it gets stiff.

_________________
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 3:28 pm
Posts: 21
Tommy wrote:
TunelessJoe wrote:
Regarding those copper whistles, I think they would be stunning with black headpieces.


Quote:
In the mean time photoshop anyone?


This was just a quick and dirty Photoshop, but you get the idea. :thumbsup:

Image
Image


Last edited by Urshag on Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:31 am
Posts: 7973
Location: Raleigh, NC
Tommy wrote:
Save the holes you drilled out and if there is a hole that sounds off. Replace the hole with fast drying CA adhesive, then re drill.

What are you using to drill the holes if you
still have the disc left over afterward. Not
a regular drill bit, I take it?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:39 pm
Posts: 2751
Location: Yes
fearfaoin wrote:
Tommy wrote:
Save the holes you drilled out and if there is a hole that sounds off. Replace the hole with fast drying CA adhesive, then re drill.

What are you using to drill the holes if you
still have the disc left over afterward. Not
a regular drill bit, I take it?



LOL :wink: I was wondering who would be first to notice that. I should have known it could be someone with a history of correcting my spelling, and grammar. Do a search on ''plug drill''.
Thank you Fearfaoin. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10614

_________________
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:31 am
Posts: 7973
Location: Raleigh, NC
Tommy wrote:
LOL :wink: I was wondering who would be first to notice that. I should have known it could be someone with a history of correcting my spelling, and grammar.

A sordid history indeed. :)

Tommy wrote:
Do a search on ''plug drill''.
Thank you Fearfaoin. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10614

Oh my, that's a nice piece of kit.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:39 pm
Posts: 2751
Location: Yes
Tommy wrote:
Image
The light made them look blue, but they are gray except for the F.
pvc low whistles $40.00 They are two part and tunable. Can be made into a three part compact for $50.00
F
G
G
A
Bb
Bb
Bb
B


F sold
G sold
G
A sold
Bb sold
Bb sold
Bb
B

This batch is almost gone. I have been asked about a possible tour for the three part Bb.
On Saturday June 6, I will be working out of town for three weeks, and only be able to check my PM's, and email briefly on the weekends. If anyone else is interested in a tour whistle send me a PM, and I will see what I can do for July. Keep in mind I may not be able to respond right away till June 29.

_________________
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:39 pm
Posts: 2751
Location: Yes
Urshag wrote:
Tommy wrote:
TunelessJoe wrote:
Regarding those copper whistles, I think they would be stunning with black headpieces.


Quote:
In the mean time photoshop anyone?


This was just a quick and dirty Photoshop, but you get the idea. :thumbsup:

Image
Image


Hmmmmmmm........ I am at the library today using their PC, and the monitor is much more clear than what I have at home.
That looks like you have put a Dixon head on the copper conical. So far I have been unable to find black pvc with a 5/8'' ID.

_________________
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 10, 2003 2:17 am
Posts: 827
Location: Bellingham, WA
Tommy wrote:
Hmmmmmmm........ I am at the library today using their PC, and the monitor is much more clear than what I have at home. That looks like you have put a Dixon head on the copper conical. So far I have been unable to find black pvc with a 5/8'' ID.

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.105s | 11 Queries | GZIP : On ]
(dh)