Gene Milligan Dymondwood Soprano D whistle review

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
A-Musing
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Gene Milligan Dymondwood Soprano D whistle review

Post by A-Musing »

Oh! Ouch! Somebody! Get the smelling salts!!!

Hmmm. Those North Texas Irish Fests must get pretty rough!!!

I'm off to therapy...

Happy New Year.
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Wanderer »

I saw Gene at NTIF again this year, and picked up a very sweet blackwood whistle from him.

I can second the idea that the whistle compares very favorably (and similarly) to my O'Riordan/Greenwood reviews. It's a sweeter sounding whistle and doesn't take as much breath as my dymondwood one. Completely top notch in every regard.

As soon as I got the whistle, I put my old one away and played the new one for the remainder of the weekend. It was very lovely :)
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I've been playing my Milligan for about a week or more now and also love it. I emailed Gene based on a Wanderer review and a PM from a board member who responded to my semi-whimsical post about a dream whistle. Gene sent me the red dymondwood one I asked for and it's one of the most striking looking whistles I've seen.

I didn't bother to post because I had not much to add to Wanderer's review which I find spot on, including the high air requirements. However, like any other whistle, I got used to it and just automatically "gas" up before I run out.

I'd never dealt with Gene before, and it was a pleasure to talk with him and get my whistle made.

A word about his site as I recall a C&Fer saying he had a very frustrating time navigating the site and finally gave up. Remember that Gene's site is mainly devoted to other instruments, but once you figure out how to use it it's ok (click on Products and then hit stop or pause when you get to the whistle pic; otherwise it just keeps going through the cycle of beautiful guitars).

Thanks to Wanderer, Tuscon, and Gene.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
tucson_whistler

Post by tucson_whistler »

Wanderer wrote:I saw Gene at NTIF again this year, and picked up a very sweet blackwood whistle from him.

I can second the idea that the whistle compares very favorably (and similarly) to my O'Riordan/Greenwood reviews. It's a sweeter sounding whistle and doesn't take as much breath as my dymondwood one. Completely top notch in every regard.

As soon as I got the whistle, I put my old one away and played the new one for the remainder of the weekend. It was very lovely :)
do you think it's the wood choice that makes it sound sweeter, or some variation in the fipple/windway?

fyi, i've tried out a few other wood whistles and the milligan dymondwood is still my favorite. :)

Philo, glad you like yours. :)
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
gsnelson

Post by gsnelson »

I have two in dymondwoods (a red and a black) and one in blackwood. I love the looks of the blackwood one, but I went back to the dymondwood as every-day player. It sounds more like a wooden flute to me than the new one. But another player could easily choose the blackwood whistle.
Gerry
Factotum
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

tucson_whistler wrote: do you think it's the wood choice that makes it sound sweeter, or some variation in the fipple/windway?

fyi, i've tried out a few other wood whistles and the milligan dymondwood is still my favorite. :)

Philo, glad you like yours. :)
I can't say if it's fipple or wood. I don't want to risk pulling people into a debate where we rehash whether not the body material has any bearing on the sound of the instrument. Gene says that his blackwoods in particular have this sweeter sound to them and the blackwood I have is definitely has it, and that's good enough for me ;)
tucson_whistler

Post by tucson_whistler »

Wanderer wrote:I can't say if it's fipple or wood. I don't want to risk pulling people into a debate where we rehash whether not the body material has any bearing on the sound of the instrument. Gene says that his blackwoods in particular have this sweeter sound to them and the blackwood I have is definitely has it, and that's good enough for me ;)
hi, thanks! i was just looking for your honest opinion, since you have 2 to compare; honest, i wasn't trying to stir up a debate. ;)

and thanks for your reviews; they're really helpful to someone like me with a tragic incurable case of WhOA. :)
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

tucson_whistler wrote: hi, thanks! i was just looking for your honest opinion, since you have 2 to compare; honest, i wasn't trying to stir up a debate. ;)

and thanks for your reviews; they're really helpful to someone like me with a tragic incurable case of WhOA. :)
I know, and I wasn't aiming my comments at you, but rather at those folks who've been known to debate such things endlessly in the past :)
squirrel

Post by squirrel »

I like this whistle and I would to buy one but I'm a bit worried about the air requirement. Do you know if Mr. Milligan accept custom orders in order to have a different blowing? Thanks.
Sorry for my bad english...
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

you'd have to write him and ask for sure.

I know that, like most makers, there is a bit of variability in what he produces. The blackwood I picked up was a much easier blower than the Dymondwoods I've been playing. I am not sure how much customization he's able to consistently perform, but if you drop him a line he'll let you know for sure if he he can try to make something to your liking or pick something out of his stock that will fit he bill.
squirrel

Post by squirrel »

Thanks Wanderer, I'll do as you suggest.
Sorry for my bad english...
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

[/quote]

I know, and I wasn't aiming my comments at you, but rather at those folks who've been known to debate such things endlessly in the past :)[/quote]

Hey, I resemble that remark! :wink:

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
BoBlues

Post by BoBlues »

Wanderer,

Hello. Just a quick question about the Milligan whistle. I ordered a blackwood one and was wondering if it needed to be broken in.
I was reading online about care for wooden whistles and one site said you need to break wooden whistles in. They said no more than 10 minutes a day for the first week and no more than 20 minutes a day the second week and that should do it. It also spoke of oiling it before the first time playing.
On the Abell site, they said their whistle did not require breaking in. Is it the same with the Milligan?

Thanks in advance for any info on this.

BoBlues
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

BoBlues wrote:Wanderer,

Hello. Just a quick question about the Milligan whistle. I ordered a blackwood one and was wondering if it needed to be broken in.
I was reading online about care for wooden whistles and one site said you need to break wooden whistles in. They said no more than 10 minutes a day for the first week and no more than 20 minutes a day the second week and that should do it. It also spoke of oiling it before the first time playing.
On the Abell site, they said their whistle did not require breaking in. Is it the same with the Milligan?

Thanks in advance for any info on this.

BoBlues
Gene would be the one to ask about that to know for sure.

I haven't really worried about breaking mine in too much, though. I just make sure to swab it out when I'm done playing it. I play it about once a week, for 4 hours. During the week, I carry my dymondwood one.
sarahkho
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by sarahkho »

[ Thread revival - Mod ]

Any comment on which one of his flutes is sweeter, need less air, to play?

Thanks.