How old were you when you started whistling?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

What approximate age did you start playing the whistle?

0-10 years old
5%
11-20 years old
25%
21-30 years old
12%
31-40 years old
11%
41-50 years old
30%
51-60 years old
14%
61-70 years old
2%
71-80 years old
1%
81 years or older
No votes

Total votes: 84

DrPhill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

How old were you when you started whistling?

Post by DrPhill »

Age has been mentioned again and rather than hijack that thread to ask I thought I would start a poll. :D

Phill
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: How old were you when you started whistling?

Post by jemtheflute »

I started on (Bohm) flute aged 17 and acquired my first Gen D and C whistles about the same time - can't recall now (after 33 years!) for sure if I had a whistle before the flute, but think not. I had, of course (for GB of that era), done a bit of recorder in lower secondary school (not very successfully). I acquired some recorders as well as whistles in my first few months of starting to play at 17, and my family heirloom 6-key simple system F flute plus a rather nasty Premier 5-key Bb band flute not long after. So they all came in pretty much a clump, within the first 12-18 months. It wasn't ITM at that stage, though - mostly David Munrow-ish Renaissance stuff and some Playford tunes, then some other English tunes...... I didn't really start to hear ITM (there wasn't that much around in Britain then unless you moved in just the right circles) until after I went to uni in Cardiff, joined the uni Folk Club, met Ben Hall among others.........
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Hmmmmmm...... uh.... let's now... :-? I can get this, it's not realy a trick question. I got it! To old. :wink:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Bothrops
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Bothrops »

I started to play tin whistle when I was 20 years old. About a year later I started with the irish flute, and now, at 22 years old, I started to play piano and I also want to learn guitar. Is it impossible to do all of this being 22? I wish I started to play music when I was 5 :cry:
Tia

Post by Tia »

I started when I was about 9 with just basic stuff, I left it for a while then came back when I was 15 and started actually learning all the tricks of the trade :D
-Music is a magic beyond everything-
ancientfifer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ancientfifer »

Age 12, drifted away in college with the occassional toot by a campfire, or after a good drunk to wake up the dorm, and finally picked it back up after many years dormant, and sharing my time with it and the flute now.
ancientfifer is the chiffer formerly known as fifenwhistle (Dec. 2008-January 2014)
Avatar Photo: Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums, July 4th Parade 1976, broadcasted live nationally on CBS.
Ceili_whistle_man

Post by Ceili_whistle_man »

Learned whistle when I was around 8 or 9 years old. Played for a couple of years then progressed onto button accordion then the natural progression was on to flute (Bb fife to be more precise) playing in marching bands. (It's a Belfast thing)
Had a blow every now and then over the years, but was doing more listening than playing.
Came back to more serious whistle playing in my 20's and have been playing ever since. (I'm 50 this year)
I am now tending more towards the flute because of my fifing background (and the tunes from it) starting to come to the fore. I find my whistle is getting played less and less these days.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
projektio28

Post by projektio28 »

I started in utero, back when I had a "womb with a view"! Wakka wakka!! :lol:

But seriously, I started getting into it when I was 24 or so after I joined a band playing the GHB with other pipers...my interest in all things Scottish and Irish traditional music really made me pick one up quick.

Matt
"The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it. White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise." - J.R.R. Tolkien
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

I think 18-19.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I started on the GHB at 17 and by 19 was playing Irish flute, whistle, bodhran, and uilleann pipes also.

I don't think any teacher would recommend starting Irish flute, whistle, and the uilleann pipes all at the same time.

There's a teenager around here who is learning GHB, uilleann pipes, whistle, flute, accordion, and tenor banjo all at once (in addition to playing at least one instrument in the school band) and seems to be doing quite well.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

Hmmm.... I started whistle in March of 2006, and flute on March 2008. So I think I was 18, almost 19 when I started.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
MeaghanEryn

Post by MeaghanEryn »

My first instrument was piano, which I began at age 7. I started playing the Boehm flute in school band at age 11, and started taking private lessons when I was about 15. I bought a whistle when I was around 17, and I got a keyless Irish flute (I suspect it was one of the infamous Pakistani ones) for my high school graduation present. I tried to hit the odd session, but only in the past year have I been making an effort to attend regularly. I've also bought a bodhrán and now that it's summer and I have time I'm going to try my hand at fiddle and guitar, too!
Infernaltootler

Post by Infernaltootler »

I put 41+ but actually I first tried the whistle when I was about 19, however, got little encouragement from my Irish mum and enthusiasm wained after a couple of months I think.

20 years later I'm really into it and have been playing daily for coming up to two years.

How I wish I'd stuck with it 20 years ago :( :(
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

There should be a poll, "When do you wish you would have started whistling?" I only learned whistling as a side effect to breathing exercises following heart surgery. If I would have learned the whistle as a child, this would have changed my life. I hope the children who learn the whistle know how lucky they are.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Mick Down Under

Post by Mick Down Under »

I put down the 11 to 20 bracket as I first bought one and started working out tunes when I was 17, however the interest didn't last and it was only when I was 36 that I came back to it with any kind of real serious intent. I practice as much as limited time will allow (never enough), but probably too much for my ever patient neighours.

Mick
Such is life...
Ned Kelly just before the b#sta*rds hung him!